Third time's the charm, fourth time is... What? I can't hear you - Sony WH-1000XM4 shows up on the FCC

williamcll

Information regarding the fourth version of sony's noice cancelling headphones have been found, no details about its release is available however.

Sony WH-1000XM4

The Sony WH-1000XM4 has finally appeared on the FCC. In my previous posts about the recent FCC filings, I said that perhaps the Mark 4 might soon appear on the FCC, and it looks like that predication came true. Very little information is provided in the documents apart from the testing, so what can we expect from the new wireless headset? And when will it debut? Bluetooth 5.0 is guaranteed, with a chance of 5.1 depending what Bluetooth chipset it uses (more on that later), NFC and noise cancellation are a given of course, along with USB type-C. Codec support should be AAC, SBC, along with LDAC, but will Sony support Qualcomm's aptX? That depends if Sony will a Qualcomm Bluetooth chip. If Sony decides to go with something else, then do not expect aptX support but rather only LDAC. The recent products like the WI-1000XM2 and WH-H910N all lack aptX support though.

So digging into the FCC documents provides one piece of information, the Bluetooth software Sony used during the testing was WCN Combo Tool.
WCN Combo Tool

While I cannot find anything specific about software, this looks to be used for radio frequency testing of the Bluetooth device and for firmware updates. Below is a photo from the installation. The PDF file has a larger size of it, if one wishes to see it in higher detail.

WCN Combo Tool
The WCN Combo Tool installs with a Mediatek main directory, so I am guessing this might be one of their tools. Even this FCC filing shows the WCN Combo tool part of a Mediatek document. So what does this mean? Well this might be a strong indication that the WH-1000XM4 is using a Mediatek Blueooth chip, perhaps even the MT2811. If not a MT2811, then perhaps something else. Not sure how this will go down with Sony's diehard fans since there is the opinion that Qualcomm is more of a premium chip and Mediatek less so. Would it bother you if Sony used a Mediatek chip in the new WH-1000XM4? Post your thoughts below. One other device used this same WCN Combo tool software for testing, the WH-H910N from Sony.  The FCC filing can be found here.
Sony WH-H910N FCC

But unfortunately the internal photos for the WH-H910N do not provide any details which Bluetooth chip is used, and without a proper WH-H910N teardown, there is no way to know what Bluetooth chip it uses. EDIT, actually there is a way, and I am pretty sure I mentioned this in another post, specifically the WH-H910N one. The Bluetooth certification gives away that the WI-1000XM2, WH-H910N and WH-H810 all use the same Bluetooth chip, and since we know the WI-1000XM2 use the MT2811S, then so does the WH-H910N. The certification can be found here. Of course this brings up the question, is the software tool Sony uses for testing/firmware upgrades an indicator of what Bluetooth chip will be used? Well the WH-1000XM3 used software called BlueSuite version 2.5.8. What is this? This is Qualcomm's Bluetooth software, specifically CSR, which Qualcomm now owns (1). This lines up nicely since we know the WH-1000XM3 used Qualcomm's CSR8675 and this could mean we will be looking at some sort of Mediatek Bluetooth chip in the new WH-1000XM4 and it could possibly even be the Mediatek MT2811 Sony has been using recently. Going back to the possible version of Bluetooth, 5.0 is a given, but it could end up being 5.1 If the Mark 4 uses the MT2811 Bluetooth chip, then 5.1 support is possible since the MT2811 was certified with 5.1 not to long ago, see here.

Source:https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2019/12/sony-wh-1000xm4-shows-up-on-fcc-ces.html

Thoughts: I eagerly wait for the inevitable discount that will come to the 3rd gen headphones/earbuds once this model comes out. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

14 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Just me or is everything in this post speculation? Nothing of any significance was released 

That tends to happen with a lot of FCC submissions.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Nonetheless, I'm hyped because I am going to upgrade to these Headphones when they come out.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I hesitated a lot last year between the WH1000XM3 and the Sennheiser HD1. I tested both and ultimately went with the HD1 because of a killer deal I could not turn down. I don't regret my choice because it's a super nice pair of can but I would have liked all the extra features the WH1000XM3 have over the HD1.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB