THIS Replaced Every PC in my House!

James
2 hours ago, Founders said:

This constant complaining of clickbait is getting so old. If the title and thumbnail are sterile and matter of fact the video gets less clicks, plain and simple.  

No shit, Linus needs them sheckels. If it would be obvious that the video are about virtualization then there will be less clicks, it's no new tech by any means.

But when it's "THIS Replaced Every PC in my House!" it sounds like he's bloody Columbus.

5 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

What do you want a full academic one paragraph abstract and well sourced introduction?  

No, i just want so it would be at least remotely possible to know what's the topic of the a video before clicking it. It's like if you're reading a newspaper but every article are covered by scratch off.

5 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

every time anyone chooses a title for a thread, or a tweet it is clickbait.

No, not everyone clickbait the shit out of their content and guess what, people still watch them. No need to look too far, pick any video on GamersNexus, JayZ 2 Cents, Hardware Unboxed channels, there are enough information in title, thumbnail, description and sticky post to paint a whole picture of what that video are about. If you like the topic - watch it, if you don't - don't watch it.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

No need to look too far, pick any video on GamersNexus, JayZ 2 Cents, Hardware Unboxed channels, there are enough information in title, thumbnail, description and sticky post to paint a whole picture of what that video are about. If you like the topic - watch it, if you don't - don't watch it.

that is the problem with click bait titles for the thumbnail and click bait photos for the thumbnail.

its lying

its fake

they are liars

they are wanting clicks anyway they can

so someone clicks on it thinking 'this new tech is transforming the pc world'

and its something totally not that, something thats been out for a very long time

they are stealing my "click"

they are stealing my time

which doesnt count for much, hence im here at 8:30pm on a Thursday.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

No shit, Linus needs them sheckels. If it would be obvious that the video are about virtualization then there will be less clicks, it's no new tech by any means.

But when it's "THIS Replaced Every PC in my House!" it sounds like he's bloody Columbus.

Then why bother bitching about it? You couldn't infer the video would involve a server and virtualization from the title? Who cares what's in the title or the thumbnail, if you like the content then keep watching it, if you don't then move on. 

13 minutes ago, Founders said:

if you like the content then keep watching it, if you don't then move on. 

Thing is i don't see the content before i've already clicked it and watched at least a few minutes because there absolutely no information on what it is about beforehand. That's definition of clickbait, i'm not against content in general, i'm against clickbaiting.

I've figured that it might be about virtualization, and comments here confirmed that. It might be interesting for a lot of people, i get it, but it's no new for me, i want to be able to know that before i start to watch it.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I've haven't time to watch the video yet but one thing has me wondering about how practical this may be is what happens if that one box goes down. I'm thinkin' it means every thing goes down. I'll have to check out the video later.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5:25 - oh no, yet another multi-thousand dollar setup that's gonna be done very gheto way… It would be so nice to see something well done in a channel with this sort of budget…

I stopped the video right there. No point going forward with something badly done like that…

6 hours ago, Founders said:

Have you ever heard the expression a carpenters home is never done? I believe the same can be applied to your first point. A carpenter never lets another carpenter work on their home unless they are collaborating during a larger project, and once one project concludes another begins, it's a repetitious cycle. I'm sure the same thing is happening at Linus's house, when one project concludes another begins.

Yes and he has to make cool videos that are different, so in his case, especially as this change worked, i see value in it as a video, for educational purposes etc looking forward into the future for some applications

That said a 2 points i didn't bring up, partly because i was going on a bit too much as is are thus:

1.This layout makes certain upgrades trickier, not GPU or CPU swaps but when the standard for cable likely changes yet again you are going to have to dig into the walls to change a cable, or in case a cable goes bad etc, thats not practical at all.  Fine for a business with a guy on hand whose job is laying cables and keeping all the hardware in check, but for home? nah,

I'd rather we move closer to everybody having a small nuc or small and light PC if not laptop etc, that seems more like the future to me, especially as 3d stacking and seriously strong APUs likely become a huge thing in about a decade. This solution is looking at technology from the opposite end its actualy been in practice moving, where even cell phones can replace PCs in many cases. 

2. As a kid, especially as a teen, i really wouldn't want my dad hosting the entire network, i get many people may only have one PC in the house, but for those investing this much, its a very sensitive time in ones life and i doubt i'd want my dad going through my search history so easily as "my" system is actually just one huge server he owns.  Google and everybody else may steal my data, but atleast in the west they aren't going to judge me or bring up odd conversations about big honkin' mammas, or if i was a girl, lewd vampire fanfics. 

Even if its more wholesome matters, imagine if you had a super religious (or in some cases a aggressively super anti-religious) father and you started for whatever reason looking away from their perspective, or likewise different political opinion.  Again one would get a huge talking to potentially for just looking into normal things because you literally have no privacy on the net with a system like this.  Teens deserve some privacy, its very important they have it to grow as people, this is a huge step away from that in a world privacy is just getting worse and worse, and in general everything is acting more like overbearing helicopter parents

I like the video as a proof of concept, like the 6 workstation 1 computer video, but its a hellish ideal for a home system in more ways then one. 

Great video, great topic as far as I'm concerned, please keep working on this project! I'm in a similar situation computers for wife and I + TV, Kitchen, Workshop and a couple of kids growing up, I've been trying to consolidate all this for a while now.

That USB over network is something I've been trying to do properly on and off for about 10 years but didn't really exist in a form I could access. Most HDMI over Ethernet I've found far too much delay to be usable for anyone more than quick browsing. We make do with RDP and steamlink mostly but not found anything that beats a 10m long HDMI cable and a wireless keyboard and mouse + a stack of PCs in the living room so those USB boxes are interesting!

Questions for one of the next vids:

How do you do user management across all the VM's are they still just separate OS or do you share profiles in some way?

How does this setup compare in cash terms for separate systems?

Is it cheaper to run the EPYC than equivalent bunch of boxes in a rack somewhere?

What is performance like between the VMs, any advantage in having your NAS on the same box for example?

Stretch goal:

My headset has enough range so I can wander around most of the house and garden and still hear what is on my main PC. Any ideas to allow the video (or even the game) to follow me around the house as well (easily display on which ever screen in the house I'm near).

Why not

"1 house with 4 rooms, 1 CPU gaming Setup"

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I cant watch the whole video but i predict this will use more power than separate machines because all the GPUs will be powered on when only one is needed.

1) A NAS is not Personal Computer.

2) You should not use a remote virtual computer to be your NAS's important bits separate from your drives.

All you people constantly bitching about whether or not a title is click-bait or the thumbnail of all things, simple question for you. Why the hell are you still watching? Obviously you are not of fan of how LMG does business, why are you watching? Just stop watching and stop supporting content you obviously have a problem with.

I don't see anything wrong with this title, he said he was replacing every pc in his house with "this" and in the video he does that and shows what "this" is and how it works. Nothing about this title was false or a lie. Just because he doesnt say "I replaced every pc with a Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 and Ryzen 7502P" does not make the title click bait. 

This is the kind of classic LTT content I watch for, Linus solving an incredibly niche problem most people would never even dream of, in the most overkill balls to the wall method possible, screw ups included. If by the end of this vid you weren't thinking "damn thats some cool tech" and all you could think about was a stupid title or thumbnail then you are obviously not fans the channel or the content and you should just leave. Spare yourself the anger and spare the rest of us from having to listen to it. 

20 minutes ago, usefuldiot said:

All you people constantly bitching about whether or not a title is click-bait or the thumbnail of all things, simple question for you. Why the hell are you still watching? Obviously you are not of fan of how LMG does business, why are you watching? Just stop watching and stop supporting content you obviously have a problem with.

You clearly didn't watch the stream where Linus said he'll stop making titles like these; titles with no info about the product at hand.

I don't see anything wrong with this title, he said he was replacing every pc in his house with "this" and in the video he does that and shows what "this" is and how it works. Nothing about this title was false or a lie. Just because he doesnt say "I replaced every pc with a Gigabyte MZ32-AR0 and Ryzen 7502P" does not make the title click bait.

You'r confusing clickbait with false advertising.

This is the kind of classic LTT content I watch for, Linus solving an incredibly niche problem most people would never even dream of, in the most overkill balls to the wall method possible, screw ups included. If by the end of this vid you weren't thinking "damn thats some cool tech" and all you could think about was a stupid title or thumbnail then you are obviously not fans the channel or the content and you should just leave.

So people calling out something that was meant to change are not real fans? Are you serious?

What makes someone a "fan" of something?

Spare yourself the anger and spare the rest of us from having to listen to it.

Use your own advice and stop getting worked up about this.

21 hours ago, emosun said:

I'm still waiting for multisocket solution from AMD to change my mind about them over intel

Exactly how many cores do you need on a single baremetal box? You can cram 128 of them into a 1u/2u rackspace. Withe modern hypervisors you can have your cpu/ram resources on one box, and your disk on another.

This isn't just about having a multi-client game server, it's also the extenders getting tested. I use extenders (currently individual fiberoptic cables for Thunderbolt and DisplayPort), and I'm really happy to see this test of a new option for me when mine goes bad (or I do another run). 

Of course this only makes sense if you need to remote your computers, otherwise you could build a whole gaming PC for the price of the extension. 

I myself have an edge case where this may be nice for me. In my home studio I have a V-Ray GPU render system that has 4 x Quadro RTX 6000 GPUs, tons or RAM and U.2 NVMe drives. It sits idle a lot. Would be great to boot into a game server set of VMs and host a little LAN party setup for the family (four of us). As it is, I have to keep that server up-to-date with the latest/greatest, as well as our family gaming PCs. So this would save money aside form the one-time cost of the extensions. 

I just want to know what those blue speakers LTT is using on his desk are? @LinusTech

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

5 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I just want to know what those blue speakers LTT is using on his desk are? @LinusTech

Look's like Corsair SP5500's

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Having a server for all the PCs, TVs, ect.. in a home is a interesting idea. Less physical space is used. Replacing 6 computers with a single computer. All the computer equipment is in a central location out of view. Opens up many new options you probably did not have available before. I noticed this when I installed Cat6 for Ethernet throughout our home years ago. We now stream our TV over it now. I can't wait for the ISP to install fiber in the streets. 10 Gbps will make everything be instant.

What I find very useful from all of this is hooking up the peripherals over a long distance with hardly any latency. It's all because of the fiber optics in the display cable and the cable for the USB Peripherals. If you can afford to buy the icron USB 3-2-1 Raven 3124 box's and fiber cables, you can re-locate any computers in your home to a central location out of view. You can get a cheap server rack with some Rosewill RSV-L4500 Cases to rack mount all your home PCs. This is probably the cheapest option vs building a single server for everything because you can continue to use your existing PCs.

I definitely will be looking into this myself for my own setup. I am sure in the few years, fiber optic cables and equipment will begin to get cheaper and cheaper for consumers to purchase which would allow these types of setups to be affordable.

Q1: Was EPYC really required, or even the best choice? Wouldn't a thread ripper with its higher boost frequencies done a better job for gaming systems at the cost of some memory channels? (Threadripper 2990WX vs EPYC 7501)

Q2: I was curious why he chose a board with only 1GBE when he ran 10GBE throughout his house not that long ago.

On 12/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, Derkoli said:

Look's like Corsair SP5500's

Actually, those are the satellites from a Corsair 2500 "Gaming" speakers set. I had one and loved it but the sub eventually died and the 2500s have been discontinued. I really miss them even though the replacement speakers are better (and way more expensive).

On 12/19/2019 at 10:58 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I've haven't time to watch the video yet but one thing has me wondering about how practical this may be is what happens if that one box goes down. I'm thinkin' it means every thing goes down. I'll have to check out the video later.

I finally watched it. While I can appreciate the geek factor, my concern that, if the main box goes pear shaped, all the terminals will be down has been verified. Still, it was interesting to watch.

I just don't see where people are getting the idea the title was click bait or a lie. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 12/20/2019 at 2:55 PM, emosun said:

why would i do that

why wouldn't you?  I just replaced a whole rack with a pair of single socket 32core first gen epyc rigs.  Even with all the licenses it was less than 40k, fully kitted out with sas3 SSd's.

4 hours ago, Taldren said:

Q1: Was EPYC really required, or even the best choice? Wouldn't a thread ripper with its higher boost frequencies done a better job for gaming systems at the cost of some memory channels? (Threadripper 2990WX vs EPYC 7501)

Q2: I was curious why he chose a board with only 1GBE when he ran 10GBE throughout his house not that long ago.

Probably just timing. This could have been shot a couple of months ago.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, derr12 said:

why wouldn't you? 

becuase 1u is awful