*SPOILERS* Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker Discussion *SPOILERS*

LAwLz

I saw TRS yesterday...

I am not sure what to say really. I am not sure if I will rate this movie as better or worse than The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi was, in my opinion, boring and really stupid at times. It was almost painful to watch. This new movie was solid entertainment for 2+ hours, but not for the intended reasons. I could not hold back laughter at scenes which were intended to be sad. I cringe at scenes that were suppose to be emotional. Everything Lando said was hilarious. Everything he said could be taken as a sexual innuendo. Both me and my friends started laughting when Chewie's ship exploded and Rey thought she had killed him.

The phasing… Oh God the phasing. It was over 2 hours of break-neck speed with exposition dumps and action. 

I might even describe it as "so bad it's good", but with the looks and sounds of a blockbuster movie. 

It's like watching John wick but it's only shooting scenes and cool action scenes. Almost non stop.

IMHO I don't count the new trilogy as official star wars movies. More like Fan projects. But it's made by fans who watched star wars rebels and thought, this needs more Fast And Furious. 

Don't get me wrong, star wars rebels is pretty okay, nothing amazing in my opinion but still waaays ahead of the new trilogy. I appreciate the new star wars content, I'm sad that it had to be this, and not another grant epic adventure.

This Garbage is not StarWars for me.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It's funny, i see Star Wars Spoilers and just click regardless. At this point i really don't care. Probably wait for this to hit netflix or prime etc.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

14 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

It's funny, i see Star Wars Spoilers and just click regardless. At this point i really don't care. Probably wait for this to hit netflix or prime etc.

I read the "plot" summary on Wikipedia and laughed my ass off

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I just saw it. Quite enjoyed myself. It was a blast. 

Maybe not for everyone, but I thought it was an excellent conclusion given that Rian Johnson probably did indeed toss away what JJ had initially setup. 

Plus with how there are these two battling sub-fandoms, it was impossible to please everyone. One side thought TFA was too close to the originals and didn’t try new things. The other side didn’t like when TLJ did try new things. 

It’s okay if you don’t like those or this movie - but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will see again. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Better than I expected, some scenes still left me wanting. Some were unnecessary (looking at you, last Lando Carlissian dialogue)

If someone hated The Last Jedi, they will most likely enjoy this one as it tries very hard to repair the damage that has been done. The quality suffers sometimes because of it, but still a solid experience.

Just look at Audience Score at RT to see what people think about it  (compared to Last Jedi).

I think people will enjoy Luke in this movie more and that is what most wanted ?

The visuals were top notch. Very fast paced since the beginning. 

Fans of video games in Star Wars universe will finally have the classic Force Powers introduced (I was like "OK, Force Heal, here is Force Drain...").

I have only one main gripe with the new trilogy and that is making the original and the victory in Return of the Jedi hollow and pointless. Since the new trilogy starts with basically the same as the original (suddenly there is a First Order which looks like Empire and they are the dominant power in the galaxy) it doesn't feel like anything at all was won in Return of the Jedi.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I really enjoyed it. Nearly pulled a tear when C3PO had his memory wiped. 

2 and a half hours of actually nothing.

so many plot holes

broke the canon

no cohesive story

felt like marysue the movie

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 12/20/2019 at 6:59 AM, dalekphalm said:

Plus with how there are these two battling sub-fandoms, it was impossible to please everyone. One side thought TFA was too close to the originals and didn’t try new things. The other side didn’t like when TLJ did try new things. 

I don't agree.

I would like to think that people aren't so simple minded that they judge movies entirely based on "did they do something new" or "did they give us more of the same".

If you make a good movie then people will enjoy it regardless of if it's just more of the same, or taking things in a new direction.

If you make a bad movie then people will not enjoy it regardless of if it's just more of the same, or taking things in a new direction.

There are countless of examples of this in the film world. Of course there are some exceptions like braindead fanboys gobbling up anything and everything without an ounce of critical thinking, but that the exception rather than the norm.

A good movie, regardless of whether it was something new or not, would unite the fanbase. Hell, you don't even have to look to other franchises for proof of this. Just look at the Mandalorian, which is something very different from the movies. The entire fanbase is united in loving that show.

Saying that people hated The Last Jedi because it was "different" is, in my opinion, bullshit.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, Lathlaer said:

If someone hated The Last Jedi, they will most likely enjoy this one as it tries very hard to repair the damage that has been done. The quality suffers sometimes because of it, but still a solid experience.

I went to see this with a group of friends. In that group, we have mixed opinions about The Last Jedi. One person loves TLJ, some are indifferent and I disliked it. My group of friends unanimously thought this movie was bad.

My experience within my group of friend seems to mirror what I've read online as well. It doesn't matter what your opinion of TLJ is, almost everyone think this is a bad movie.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, Lathlaer said:

Just look at Audience Score at RT to see what people think about it  (compared to Last Jedi).

If it was as simple as "people who disliked TLJ will like this" when the RT audience score should be the same as TLJ but mirrored. But it isn't.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:50 AM, floofer said:

I really enjoyed it. Nearly pulled a tear when C3PO had his memory wiped. 

I didn't. I think any emotional weight of that scene was completely ruined by the "cute and funny" Babu Frik.

It doesn't work when you sandwich a sad moment between two "funny" gags with just a few seconds between them.

23 hours ago, Arika S said:

felt like marysue the movie

I didn't get that sense from this movie.

The other two have been Mary Sue galore, but in this movie Ray seemed to have a far better personality and some real struggles that she couldn't overcome by herself.

The issues I have with this movie were among other things:

The phasing - It felt rushed all the way through. I had watched Aquaman just a few days before and I made jokes with my SO about how terribly phased that movie is, but during the movie they leaned over to me and said "wow this is even more rushed than Aquaman", and I totally agree.

The terrible dialog - not just Lando but everyone was varying levels of cringe all throughout. Stuff like Rey saying "you would have done the same" to BB-8 when she healed the sand worm. It was laughably bad. There were many more occurances of awful dialog in the movie but honestly I've forgotten most of it at this point.

Things that made no sense - All the healing stuff in general was awful. I don't have anything against the force being used to heal. What I take issue with is how it was used. Rey heals the sand worm thing? Fine. Decent way to show that she want peaceful solutions rather than violence, and show off the new power. Rey using it on Kylo after the fight? Why? Just, why? It made no sense. Rey not using it on Poe to heal his injured arm, before they go into the death star ruins? WHY THE FUCK NOT? Why heal a fucking worm but not your friend?

It sure was convenient that they happened to land in the right location for the dagger to work too, right? If they had landed on the other side they would have been screwed. Seems like a pretty flawed map design.

What was up with "dark Rey" fighting in the death star? Who was that? Was it Kylo? How did Kylo even get there?

How thew fuck did Kylo not know that Rey was in his room in that scene where she gets the dagger? She was holding the dagger! He could see that she was holding that unique object that only exists inside his room! And if he couldn't track her when she was inside his ship, how the hell did he track her down to the meter when she was in the death star?

What the hell was up with the Kylo and Rey kiss? Where did that come from? It was as awkward as the kiss in The Last Jedi. Several people in my theater was booing when it happened, and while I didn't join in with the booing, I thought they were right in doing so.

Incoherent and messy emotional tone - Movies usually try and keep a somewhat gentle flow. You can throw in some joke here and there even during tense situations to lighten it up a bit. I think the Marvel movies handle that really well for the most part. Usually the seriousness of a situation builds up as well. Things get worse and worse, then they might get a little better, then slightly worse, and so on. This movie jumps around like crazy. Like I mentioned earlier they sandwiched what was suppose to be a very emotional scene where C3-PO gets his memories erased between a bunch of jokes that totally ruined any weight the memory erasing would have had for me.

Like I mentioned in the original post, I actually laughed when Rey accidentally shot lighting at the ship she through Chewie was on. I don't know why I laughed, but when we talked about the movie afterward my friend said he found that moment comical as well. Maybe it has to do with the timing or whatever, but something was off. The final battle was a real cluster fuck. It jumped from "oh the good guys are winning now" to "oh the bad guys are winning" constantly, and I felt kind of lost several times. The movie never gave the audience time to process what just happened before it threw in something new, emotionally (and plot wise).

I can go on and on but seriously... The more I think of this movie the worse it gets.

I think Kathleen Kennedy deserve to be fired. She has done great things in the past, but her way of handling Star Wars has been dog shit. Even if you like the movies you have to admit that she has shown a complete disrespect and incompetence when it comes to Star Wars.

I like the movie. Judging from the reactions of the crowd in the cinema. I think many enjoy the movie. There are a few "what the fuck" moments that seem to make little sense and out of nowhere. However overall, it's a good conclusion of the series. 7.5/10 from me.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

almost everyone think this is a bad movie.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If it was as simple as "people who disliked TLJ will like this" when the RT audience score should be the same as TLJ but mirrored. But it isn't.

Can't really deny that 86% out of 28 thousand verified people gave it a positive opinion (about 4/5) and 77% out of 70 thousand total gave it at least a 3/5.

So your "almost everyone" is anecdotal at best.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I enjoyed the movie enough but I don't care for Star Wars all that much. Best part was the reaction of a couple of dudes sitting behind us though.

"I'm your grandfather"

PPPPFFFFFFFPPTTT

*kiss*

PPPPPFFFFFFFPPPTTT

Rey Skywalker

PPPPPFFFFFFFPPPTTT

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Things that made no sense - All the healing stuff in general was awful. I don't have anything against the force being used to heal. What I take issue with is how it was used. Rey heals the sand worm thing? Fine. Decent way to show that she want peaceful solutions rather than violence, and show off the new power.

This is actually the problem I had with it. The force healing was literally what made anakin go darkside. He had to murder children to be more in touch with the darkside to be able to bring his lover back from death. She pulled it out of no where deus ex machina style.

Edit: and the bullshit force teleportation

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I feel like the people criticizing the "cringy" lines don't remember what the originals were like.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

41 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I feel like the people criticizing the "cringy" lines don't remember what the originals were like.

I think I remember them, and I thought the dialog was decent or good in the OT.

if you had said the prequels then yes, the dialog in that was terrible. But the OT? That had some great dialog. "captainmidnight" on Youtube recently made a video about it where he mentions the dialogue and how well it works (in A New Hope at least).

The dialog in the OT can be cheesy and corny, but I don't think it's the same type of cringe as in the new ones.

I've now seen it twice. And I think it was good. 

Without question, for 2 and a half hours, the movie doesn't slow down, some moments don't get time to breathe, some scenes feel kinda rushed, and dialog scenes seem reduced in length (pauses in between sentences) to conserve overall movie length. With the Hindsight of Carrie Fisher's death, the scenes with her were noticeably all the same in the angle and character positioning, though arguably they did the best with what they had, and made sure lighting matched the scenes. 

I thought it fitting that Rey got her own saber in the end, but Yellow? Gotta wonder what all the colors start to mean, as I'm not finding anything conclusive or an overall consensus other than "Purple because Samuel Jackson wanted Purple"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I've now seen it twice. And I think it was good. 

Without question, for 2 and a half hours, the movie doesn't slow down, some moments don't get time to breathe, some scenes feel kinda rushed, and dialog scenes seem reduced in length (pauses in between sentences) to conserve overall movie length. With the Hindsight of Carrie Fisher's death, the scenes with her were noticeably all the same in the angle and character positioning, though arguably they did the best with what they had, and made sure lighting matched the scenes. 

I thought it fitting that Rey got her own saber in the end, but Yellow? Gotta wonder what all the colors start to mean, as I'm not finding anything conclusive or an overall consensus other than "Purple because Samuel Jackson wanted Purple"

Yellow means unity of the two forces 

16 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

10 minutes ago, floofer said:

Yellow means unity of the two forces 

given the canon reson that sith sabers are red

Sith do not use synthetic crystals in their lightsabers. Because natural kyber crystals are attuned to the Light side of the Force, they naturally are resistant to a Dark side Force user. Sith cannot pluck a natural kyber crystal from the wild and use it—they would not be able to "attune" the crystal to them.
The only way that a Sith can use one is by stealing the crystal or lightsaber from a Jedi, or taking it from one they have defeated. At that point, it is possible for the Sith to then use their strength in the Force to bend the previous owner's kyber crystal to their will. This "bending" process causes the kyber crystal to essentially bleed like a living thing, resulting in the red color. No matter what color the crystal originally was, it will always be red in the hands of a Sith.

it's more likely that the crystals are peeing themselves and windu's is purple because it's bruised

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 minutes ago, Arika S said:

given the canon reson that sith sabers are red

it's more likely that the crystals are peeing themselves and windu's is purple because it's bruised

The prophecy is totally fulfilled and stuff and it’s balance to the force. 

I went to see the movie today and went without any expectations. I didn't watch the trailers, and tried to be spoiler free to get the full experience, although Linus lowered my expectations even further after the latest TeckLinked.

I did however get progressively disappointed with the movie, not because I was expecting much but because of the lost potential.

Firstly, from the saga that brought us the 'I am your father' moment instead of giving us a Palpatine plot twist moment, it started with an 'FYI: Palpatine came back from the dead'. The plot twist they tried to make was Rey being Palpatine's grandaughter, which made no sense, considering no canonical Palpatine's offspring was ever presented through the movies.

Secondly, scenes that could be great like the final lightsaber battle felt ruined by nonesensical dialog like 'I am all the sith/jedi'.

The whole "legacy" cast throughout this trilogy felt wasted and just a nod to fans instead of using them for more than plot details. Carrie's scenes felt too forced, since they coudn't make her lines work around the scenes, seemed like they made the scenes working around their lines, one of them (the one with the 'be optimistic' joke) seemed to be a mock of itself. I feel they would have been better off and even more respectful to Carrie as an actress by either using CGI or casting someone else even.

Then all the plotholes: Rey can make herself float at the beggining but then somehow forgets when she wants to climb something? Then teleporting objects, seriously?

Again, I wasn't expecting much, but left upset because it had potential that was wasted in execution. I hope someday they make a decent reboot at this point. I mean, they scrapped so much material from canon, what are 3 more movies?

my biggest tiff, to damn fast, even the conversations seemed rushed. they could have added an hour to it and let people get a little more absorption of the scenes and people would have still paid to see it.

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

To be fair, no one would have suspected Senator Palpatine was a Sith Lord if they hadn't seen or heard of the original trilogy first. Canonically through comics its shown Palpatine had a lot of secret shit going around that no one knew about, even Darth Vader.

Well technically this trilogy are episodes VII to IX so it should be assumed the viewer watched all the others 6 movies first.

And the thing with comics is that all the ones made before Disney bought Star Wars were cut out of canon.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

Reveal hidden contents

although

Reveal hidden contents

WHY ISN'T ADAM DRIVER IN THE LAST SCENE?!?!?! SO MUCH FOR REUNION

Spoiler

he was too wide to fit into frame

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒