iPhone 6s Review in 2019 - 24 hours after purchase

Ashley MLP Fangirl

introduction

My old phone (iPhone 7) broke. The charge port stopped working, so I had to find something quick and I had a limited budget. I saw a cheap iPhone 6s and I went for it. It’s a 64gb Rose Gold model, which I bought for €130 yesterday. You can keep this in mind, I used the 7 for 1.5 years, so that is what I will be referring to when I draw comparisons between it and my 6s.

Design

As everyone knows the 6s and the 7 are basically identical in terms of design, and that’s not a bad thing. I like the bezels (makes it easy to hold the phone) and it’s plenty thin for me.

Speed

I don’t notice a difference in speed between the 6s and my old 7 personally. They feel very very similar. Opening apps etc feels exactly the same, probably because the 6s and 7 have very similar storage speed etc.

Battery life

It sucks. seriously. But my 7 did as well. My 7 was at 78% battery capacity and this phone is at 72%. Both battery’s are old and both suck by now. I can live with it because I always have a laptop and powerbank with me so I’m never without a charger, but like, don’t get one of these with an old battery and expect good battery life. When installing apps it loses a percent of battery every 10 seconds or so. If the battery has been replaced recently then it should be ok, but if it’s old don’t expect good battery life.

Audio

One big difference I noticed last night when watching YouTube in bed is that the earpiece speaker doesn’t work in conjunction with the main speaker to create stereo sound like the 7 does. That was a very noticeable downgrade. On the positive side though, I do get a headphone jack now which I have been missing on the 7, especially because I lost the lightning to headphone jack dongle for it.

TouchID & home button

Going back to the old home button that physically presses down was a very nice experience for me, I strongly prefer it over the 7’s solid state home button. I have noticed TouchID is less accurate on the 6s compared to the 7, but it was hit or miss on the 7 for me too.

Conclusion
I’m happy with my purchase, it is a good phone and it is one hell of a lot better than an iPhone that won’t charge lol, but on a serious note I’m probably gonna get the battery replaced and then use it until it breaks or apple stops supporting it.

Edited by Twilight
typo

She/Her

Take out a loan. Buy the 11 Pro Max. Best battery life of the decade.

33 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I’m happy with my purchase, it is a good phone and it is one hell of a lot better than an iPhone that won’t charge lol, but on a serious note I’m probably gonna get the battery replaced and then use it until it breaks or apple stops supporting it.

I also bought a 6s with a terrible battery, but I've quickly replaced it with a battery from Aliexpress around 3-4 months ago and it has been going strong ever since, I'm regularly getting 6 hours of Screen-on-time and it hasn't degraded so far, I didn't wanna buy anything locally because I've had experiences with my 5s and I've replaced the battery like 3 times in a span of a year because they kept dying, and it's not like the battery started good either, it was awful. (they were your typical chinese batteries if that helps)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859211693.html

I've bought the 2200mAh version of this brand, no clue if I had luck of the draw but it seems everyone is giving it good reviews, including me

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

33 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

I also bought a 6s with a terrible battery, but I've quickly replaced it with a battery from Aliexpress around 3-4 months ago and it has been going strong ever since, I'm regularly getting 6 hours of Screen-on-time and it hasn't degraded so far, I didn't wanna buy anything locally because I've had experiences with my 5s and I've replaced the battery like 3 times in a span of a year because they kept dying, and it's not like the battery started good either, it was awful. (they were your typical chinese batteries if that helps)

well, i do plan on paying someone to replace it for me. i don't think i can do it myself becaus ei have shaky hands. also i can live with an ass battery becaus ei always carry at least 2 battery banks as well as a laptop. so like, i've got plenty of power anyway. 

She/Her

On 12/18/2019 at 7:46 AM, VinZie said:

Take out a loan. Buy the 11 Pro Max. Best battery life of the decade.

I think the 11 Pro Max is great but it’s a bad idea to use that much money on a phone if you don’t have it. Get something like the Xr or even cheaper in that case

21 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

I think the 11 Pro Max is great but it’s a bad idea to use that much money on a phone if you don’t have it. Get something like the Xr or even cheaper in that case

That's what my brother did -- more because he couldn't justify going all-out knowing that a big redesign was on the horizon, but you get the idea.  The iPhone XR is still a very quick phone with excellent battery life, it just doesn't have the second camera or extended battery life of the 11.