Ring. But wait! There's more!

fredrichnietze

"However, a Gizmodo investigation, which began last month and ultimately revealed the potential locations of up to tens of thousands of Ring cameras, has cast new doubt on the effectiveness of the company’s privacy safeguards. It further offers one of the most “striking” and “disturbing” glimpses yet, privacy experts said, of Amazon’s privately run, omni-surveillance shroud that’s enveloping U.S. cities."

sooooo ring shares the exact location data of every ring camera down to the square inch. amazon (owner of ring) has been semi secretly working with law enforcement to get police to shill their product while providing them with "access to a special law enforcement portal". they claimed to secure privacy of the owners and obfuscate the data so it could not be tracked to a user. however this is not true. ring location data is shared even if you tell it not to. it sends a "preference" along with the location which is as useless as the "do not track" feature, you still have the location. technically the neighbors app is what is leaking the data, but it is automatically installed activated and tied to your account when you get ring. it's impossible to use ring and not have the neighbors app. you cant even uninstall or hide the damn thing. everyone who wants it now have a map of who owns what rings, live feed (if you are the police or can hack in), the ip address, the physical locations address, and with amazons help you can tie it to a amazon account. besides the obvious "you are literally installing government spy cams in your house", at some point their is going to be a leak, or a hack, or a exploit and then everyone will have even more access. 

tl;dr dont use ring, dont use neighbors app, spread the word. this is some real 1984 shit.

location leaking

https://gizmodo.com/ring-s-hidden-data-let-us-map-amazons-sprawling-home-su-1840312279

sharing data with 200+ law enforcement agency's

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j5wyjy/amazon-told-police-it-has-partnered-with-200-law-enforcement-agencies

Hey @fredrichnietze

Please include an original quote from the original article (in this case, either one) to comply with Tech News Posting Guidelines

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

this is some real 1984 shit.

If you pa attention to anything in the world, this has been going on since the advent of IoT, and some time before.

Law Enforcement eats this stuff up because we happily give up our privacy for convenience and never bat an eye.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you pa attention to anything in the world, this has been going on since the advent of IoT, and some time before.

Law Enforcement eats this stuff up because we happily give up our privacy for convenience and never bat an eye.

It's been going on since humans worked out how to use information. 1984 was conceived in the late 30's and released during the cold war(one of the reasons it was so popular) .  For those of us who have been watching politics and social change over the last 30 odd years the 1984 that people think they are talking about in referencing the book is not happening,  transparency and genuine freedom are actually becoming more common than government controlled societies.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Hey @fredrichnietze

Please include an original quote from the original article (in this case, either one) to comply with Tech News Posting Guidelines

added ""access to a special law enforcement portal"" is this good? im trying to get it clear and concise and small enough that you could speed read it in a few seconds and get an idea of whats going on, but then read the whole full article to get the details. 

6 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

What you guys need to worry about is Russia spying on us. :ph34r:

some of that is false flag. 

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

"UMBRAGE
The CIA's hand crafted hacking techniques pose a problem for the agency. Each technique it has created forms a "fingerprint" that can be used by forensic investigators to attribute multiple different attacks to the same entity.

This is analogous to finding the same distinctive knife wound on multiple separate murder victims. The unique wounding style creates suspicion that a single murderer is responsible. As soon one murder in the set is solved then the other murders also find likely attribution.

The CIA's Remote Devices Branch's UMBRAGE group collects and maintains a substantial library of attack techniques 'stolen' from malware produced in other states including the Russian Federation.

With UMBRAGE and related projects the CIA cannot only increase its total number of attack types but also misdirect attribution by leaving behind the "fingerprints" of the groups that the attack techniques were stolen from.

UMBRAGE components cover keyloggers, password collection, webcam capture, data destruction, persistence, privilege escalation, stealth, anti-virus (PSP) avoidance and survey techniques."

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_14588467.html

"The Marble Framework is designed to allow for flexible and easy-to-use obfuscation when developing tools.......

#include <Windows.h>
#include "Marble.h"

int wmain(int argc, wchar_t* argv[])
{
    //Normal strngs including escaped characters as well as \x
    WARBLE wcOne[] = L" Text with \"weird spaces; in the text\n\n\t\tabc\x2233\x3344 124";

//Normal Wide-Char string - can't be multi-line
    WARBLE wcTwo[] = L"Creates or opens a file or I/O device. The most commonly used I/O devices are as follows: file, file stream, directory, physical disk, volume, console buffer, tape drive, communications resource, mailslot, and pipe. The function returns a handle that can be used to access the file or device for various types of I/O depending on the file or device and the flags and attributes specified. To perform this operation as a transacted operation, which results in a handle that can be used for transacted I / O, use the CreateFileTransacted function.";

//WCHAR array is supported
    WARBLE wcThree[] = {
        0x0000, 0x1122, 0x3344, 0x5566, 0x7799, 0x0000, 0x1122, 0x3344, 0x5566, 0x7799, 0x0000, 0x1122, 0x3344, 0x5566, 0x7799,
        0x0000, 0x1122, 0x3344, 0x5566, 0x7799, 0x0000, 0x1122, 0x3344, 0x5566, 0x7799, 0x0000, 0x1122, 0x3344, 0x5566, 0x7799
    };

//Add foreign languages
    //Arabic
    WARBLE wcArabic[] = L"بعد أملاً شواطيء في, ٣٠ دول زهاء ماشاء. كل الشتاء، المجتمع واعتلاء حيث, غضون الشمال الشّعبين الى بل. قد قام الشتاء انتصارهم الإنذار،, بوابة قبضتهم اتفاقية بعض عل. شدّت وفرنسا ابتدعها ثم كما.";

//Chinese
    WARBLE wcChinese[] = L"汫汭沎 煘煓瑐 廘榙榾 誙 钃麷, 鶭黮齥 逯郹崸嵀惉 滭滹漇 緳 踶輵 浶洯浽 螭蟅謕 嵉愊惵 橀 趏跮, 嵥 垼娕 蟷蠉蟼 鏀顝饇, 壾 鞈頨 跣鉌鳭 郺鋋錋 綒 嗛嗕塨 灊灅甗 礌簨繖 轒醭 醆鋍鞎 糲蘥蠩 炾笀耔 嵷 螭蟅, 駍駔鳿 簻臗藱 棳棔欿 嵷 揳揓";

//Russian
    WARBLE wcRussian[] = L"Зыд нэ нонюмэш контынтёонэж. Видэ бландит ан квуй, дуо декам эпикюре эа. Йн дйкит мольлиз дэлььякатезшимя жят. Нэ мэль рыбюм мэльиорэ фэюгаят, зальы тхэопхражтуз ан мэя. Ут вэл хабымуч фиэрэнт инзтруктеор, ку шапэрэт пхаэдрум кончюлату ыам, ыюм но оптёон льаорыыт янтэрэсщэт.";

//Korean
    WARBLE wcKorean[] = L"사용할 수있는 구절 많은 변화가 있지만, 대부분의, 주입 유머로, 어떤 형태의 변경을 입었거나 조금이라도 믿을 보이지 않는 단어를 무작위. 당신은 Lorem Ipsum의 통로를 사용하려는 경우, 당신은 텍스트의 가운데에 숨겨진 뭔가 당황 없다는 확신해야합니다";

//Farsi
    WARBLE wcFarsi[] = L"لورم ایپسوم یا طرح‌نما (به انگلیسی: Lorem ipsum) به متنی آزمایشی و بی‌معنی در صنعت چاپ، صفحه‌آرایی و طراحی گرافیک گفته می‌شود. طراح گرافیک از این متن به عنوان عنصری از ترکیب بندی برای پر کردن صفحه و ارایه اولیه شکل ظاهری و کلی طرح سفارش گرفته شده استفاده می نماید، تا از نظر گرافیکی نشانگر چگونگی نوع و اندازه فونت و ظاهر متن باشد. معمولا طراحان گرافیک برای صفحه‌آرایی، نخست از متن‌های آزمایشی و بی‌معنی استفاده می‌کنند تا صرفا به مشتری یا صاحب کار خود نشان دهند که صفحه طراحی یا صفحه بندی شده بعد از اینکه متن در آن قرار گیرد چگونه به نظر می‌رسد و قلم‌ها و اندازه‌بندی‌ها چگونه در نظر گرفته شده‌است. از آنجایی که طراحان عموما نویسنده متن نیستند و وظیفه رعایت حق تکثیر متون را ندارند و در همان حال کار آنها به نوعی وابسته به متن می‌باشد آنها با استفاده از محتویات ساختگی، صفحه گرافیکی خود را صفحه‌آرایی می‌کنند تا مرحله طراحی و صفحه‌بندی را به پایان برند.";

return 0;
}

"

5 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

but also misdirect attribution by leaving behind the "fingerprints" of the groups that the attack techniques were stolen from.

that is why i do not believe what the government tells us, that russia did whatever, when it could have been anyone, NK or Mao, just russia is convenient. like wmd's with iraq to obtain oil. jfk assisination. gulf of tonka. who knows what other false flags. going offgrid is looking better and better, fresh clean air, no digital trace except land records, even then they got drones spying on us.

1 minute ago, fredrichnietze said:

@amdorintel wtf is that profile pic i love it. 

Linus as Doom game guy, i forget where i got it from, probably just image search.

I'll keep enjoying my decision to live a IoT free live

It just feels good to not be lazy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

I'll keep enjoying my decision to live a IoT free live

It just feels good to not be lazy

Me too,  It's just a shame we have no control over the other devices,  I would have a dumb phone without GPS or google account if I could, but I need GPS turned on for my emergency service app, I also have it turned on for my public transport app (it makes life so much easier).   This means I have google looking at my location in the background and I can't avoid it (without a custom rom which I don't have the time or inclination to attempt).   for the rest of my house, there is no smart tv, no hub or home assistant, no siri or alexa and google knobhead speaker.  My fridge only cools things down and does not have a screen, my watch and fitness tracker can only count steps, etc etc etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's been going on since humans worked out how to use information. 1984 was conceived in the late 30's and released during the cold war(one of the reasons it was so popular) .  For those of us who have been watching politics and social change over the last 30 odd years the 1984 that people think they are talking about in referencing the book is not happening,  transparency and genuine freedom are actually becoming more common than government controlled societies.  

Hah... Hahahahahaa. Buahauhauhahauhaha.

Sorry, I know this will have a negative response from you. But both are happening. Some things are more transparent. But if you read between the lines... nah, see the actual store (though I'm going from the film, never read the book) most of it was "transparent" in 1984 too... people knew... just the majority dare not or wished not, to question/inspect it.

5 hours ago, amdorintel said:

Linus as Doom game guy, i forget where i got it from, probably just image search.

PS, you need to tweet that to Linus... especially as it's Duke Nukem guy, not Doom guy... he will be really happy he went to all that trouble to not get the point across. XD

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Don't include me in your generalisation...

I'm fully aware of my rights and will not think twice about defending them, even to the police.

I'm not anti establishment, I'm not anti authority. I am certainly a little bit anti government but that's a whole different topic.

I think the police have a vital job to perform and their presence is very much appreciated, just as long as they stay within the law and realise that they're not above the law themselves. Unfortunately today there seems to be an epidemic of officers who join for the wrong reasons.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Hah... Hahahahahaa. Buahauhauhahauhaha.

Sorry, I know this will have a negative response from you. But both are happening. Some things are more transparent. But if you read between the lines... nah, see the actual store (though I'm going from the film, never read the book) most of it was "transparent" in 1984 too... people knew... just the majority dare not or wished not, to question/inspect it.

"if you read between the lines"    When you do this you add your own meaning to the words.    What you claim was true in 1984 has not born out in reality.   What we see today with regard to government spying and population control has been going on since the dawn of politics in early tribal existence.  How old do you think the spying profession is? when was the first time in history a government or ruling party took a census of the people in order to be able to know/control who was doing what?  I can tell you that shit went on in the biblical era.   What the book tells us is a mere observation of a human trait that has not changed.  It is not a new thing and given the major advances in technology if it were true it would either be a lot worse than it is and we wouldn't even know to be talking about it or those who were talking about it would be considered paranoid by the larger population.   The fact we have evidence of everything our governments are up to almost as they happen is testimony to the how transparent the world is right now.

I don't know how old you are, but in the early 80's people didn't find out about government activity until way after they had happened.  In some cases it was 50 years later when documents are declassified.   Hell,  in the US the watergate scandal that occurred in the early 70's is proof governments are not doing anything new today.  It's just back then they couldn't hack into a server for the data, so they had to wiretap and physically break into buildings and steal it.  These trials took years to wind up and there are still people who believe both sides of the story.   Not too mention the strong desire the population has had to keep their governments transparent since.  

14 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

added ""access to a special law enforcement portal"" is this good? im trying to get it clear and concise and small enough that you could speed read it in a few seconds and get an idea of whats going on, but then read the whole full article to get the details. 

The idea is to take at least a sentence or two from the main article that you think pertains to the reader reading your post. 

A quote about the ring cameras would usually go in a box like this, so that it's noted as separate from your written summary and opinion. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

This whole Ring thing is absolutely creepy and it's just shocking how dumb normies are embracing this shit.

I have a genuine question, I have been watching LTT for years and literally just made an account. 

Does LMG know that Ring cams are being hacked? Are ads pre recorded way in advance? I still see ads for them in their videos and can't help but think these guys don't know.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

"if you read between the lines"    When you do this you add your own meaning to the words.    What you claim was true in 1984 has not born out in reality.   What we see today with regard to government spying and population control has been going on since the dawn of politics in early tribal existence.  How old do you think the spying profession is? when was the first time in history a government or ruling party took a census of the people in order to be able to know/control who was doing what?  I can tell you that shit went on in the biblical era.   What the book tells us is a mere observation of a human trait that has not changed.  It is not a new thing and given the major advances in technology if it were true it would either be a lot worse than it is and we wouldn't even know to be talking about it or those who were talking about it would be considered paranoid by the larger population.   The fact we have evidence of everything our governments are up to almost as they happen is testimony to the how transparent the world is right now.

I don't know how old you are, but in the early 80's people didn't find out about government activity until way after they had happened.  In some cases it was 50 years later when documents are declassified.   Hell,  in the US the watergate scandal that occurred in the early 70's is proof governments are not doing anything new today.  It's just back then they couldn't hack into a server for the data, so they had to wiretap and physically break into buildings and steal it.  These trials took years to wind up and there are still people who believe both sides of the story.   Not too mention the strong desire the population has had to keep their governments transparent since.  

I don't mean totally reading between the lines. [edit as said, I saw a film version of it]. In the film version, it was made clear that Winston Smith's friend questioned things as much as Winston did. However, his friend tried to gloss past them. But still got got by Big Brother for questioning things (by his daughter accusing him of all things).

What we see today with regard to government spying and population control has been going on since the dawn of politics in early tribal existence.

Ecclesiastes 10:20

For a little bird might deliver your message and tell them what you said.

And now we have "twitter" telling the world. XD Yes. But for the first time ever, no one can be in the room, and still hear you, via technology we invite people in, or they invite themselves (IOTs devices). That is a change and an increase.

Yes, the speed of information has increased. But just because we do find out, does not seem to suggest that it now happens less. We just get the churn of it faster (and find out faster).

I keep my privacy to a certain point. There is a fine line where it stops making sense. I use FF and duck duck go. I use google chrome and duck duck go when a game doesn't run on FF. I have echo devices. a camera would be a drawn line but a speaker isn't horrible to me. just be careful which rooms they are in.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

One can fabricate a $30 raspberry pi surveillance system with a rpi zero and a small camera that does 90% of what a 'Ring' device can.. It can record and even text or email you an alert when movement is detected. Also, there are no subscription fees to store your videos, no 'big brother' concerns and the software is open source. ? 

And it really isn't that difficult for the average 'Joe Blow' to build. Although not required, if you have a 3d printer you could also make a pretty nifty enclosure to tidy everything up.

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The idea is to take at least a sentence or two from the main article that you think pertains to the reader reading your post. 

thankyou for your help and being a good mod instead of deleting the whole thing. it's really nice to be on a forum where the mods are like, actually good.

7 hours ago, XavierRenegadeAngel_ said:

I have a genuine question, I have been watching LTT for years and literally just made an account. 

Does LMG know that Ring cams are being hacked? Are ads pre recorded way in advance? I still see ads for them in their videos and can't help but think these guys don't know.

that why i posted this. wendell at L1T has been talking about this for weeks and i keep seeing ring adds on LTT. they havent addressed this much in wan show the go to for this kind of thing, so i assume they just dont know. always assume ignorance or stupidity over malice but week after week of rings storys is really starting to make it look like malice.

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I don't mean totally reading between the lines. [edit as said, I saw a film version of it]. In the film version, it was made clear that Winston Smith's friend questioned things as much as Winston did. However, his friend tried to gloss past them. But still got got by Big Brother for questioning things (by his daughter accusing him of all things).

If I called the government to dob in someone who I thought was planning a new party to oppose the current system they'd just laugh at me.  We are not living in a dystopian 1984 world.

Ecclesiastes 10:20

And now we have "twitter" telling the world. XD Yes. But for the first time ever, no one can be in the room, and still hear you, via technology we invite people in, or they invite themselves (IOTs devices). That is a change and an increase.

Still not the same thing.

Yes, the speed of information has increased. But just because we do find out, does not seem to suggest that it now happens less. We just get the churn of it faster (and find out faster).

I didn't say it happens less, I said nothing has changed (meaning the government trying to be thought police and spying on citizens hasn't just become a thing and gotten worse) and we are not living in the dystopian world of that book.  A quick look at markers for the number of democratic countries, transparency in government etc all show a rise over the last 80 years.  Even in the US which has been sliding on the corruption index.

The book 1984 accurately describes a more technically capable north Korea,  I am pretty sure not many people will argue that any of the 1st world free countries are anything like Nth Korea or even heading in that direction.