Putting PC on a board, on carpet.

Fitz000

What are peoples objections to putting a PC on a long board that is laying on a carpeted floor?

Obviously, with a power supply upside down in the bottom, and other issues regarding dust you don't want a PC on carpet.

But I wanted to rotate my desk 90Degrees and the best possible way to make that fit would be by putting my PC on a long board, on carpet.

Warnings?

Carpet gets a lot of static, you could shock your components if you build up enough static.

8 hours ago, Fitz000 said:

What are peoples objections to putting a PC on a long board that is laying on a carpeted floor?

Obviously, with a power supply upside down in the bottom, and other issues regarding dust you don't want a PC on carpet.

But I wanted to rotate my desk 90Degrees and the best possible way to make that fit would be by putting my PC on a long board, on carpet.

Warnings?

That's a relatively good practice especially if the case has short or non-existent feet to ensure the PSU fan if face down doesn't get starved of air. I'd say just cut the piece of wood to the same size as the case to keep the footprint nice and small.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

That's a relatively good practice especially if the case has short or non-existent feet to ensure the PSU fan if face down doesn't get starved of air. I'd say just cut the piece of wood to the same size as the case to keep the footprint nice and small.

Yea, that was what I was thinking.  I may not even cut it as it's larger than the case and if I ever need to use the shelf for it's original purpose of using as a helf.

For the above comment about static, worried me only a little but I guess in the grand scheme of things, what's the difference between say, 1 inch, and 18 inches? 

.........  in regards to the height of the PC off of carpet.

13 hours ago, Fitz000 said:

Yea, that was what I was thinking.  I may not even cut it as it's larger than the case and if I ever need to use the shelf for it's original purpose of using as a helf.

For the above comment about static, worried me only a little but I guess in the grand scheme of things, what's the difference between say, 1 inch, and 18 inches? 

.........  in regards to the height of the PC off of carpet.

The case itself is grounded and it wouldn't really be a cause of worry only when building the PC if you were to essentially building up a static charge and then touching your components. 

On 12/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, Fitz000 said:

Warnings?

Bed risers work for me,