Should I already register for Floatplane if I just want to watch videos, not create? Do I have to pay/subscribe to do so no matter what?

Skyyblaze

After seeing the video that Floatplane is now in Beta I would like to support LTT and use the service although I'm a bit confused and unsure about everything since Linus and Luke always used the word "Apply". What if I'm just a normal user and no content-creator, should I register anyway and do I have to pay to watch LTT videos on there? I feel a bit more clarification in the video would have helped as not everyone followed the project closely.

The video was a call for creators.

Obviously as a viewer you just create an account and sign up for any creators you want access to.

And yes the whole point is every creator's channel is a separate paid subscription.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You sign up to individual creators, and pay a monthly fee to each one.

You don't pay for an account and get to view all creators that are on Floatplane.

It's a way to "sponsor" creators you like, in a way similar to Patreon.

Looks like the 'Join' button on the top is for normal users, because there is a 'Become a Floatplane creator' button at the bottom, which shows a different form.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, Skyyblaze said:

should I register anyway and do I have to pay to watch LTT videos on there? 

That has been the case ever since now. You pay for each channel you're interested in to watch their videos on Floatplane (videos are typically uploaded earlier).

As far as I know (as a non-FP user), you can only watch content on the website if you're signed up.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I took a look at the site for the first time in a while. Apparently LTT is going to split up their three channels into separate subscriptions. $15 a month for LTT content seems absurd... That's more than Netflix for a fraction of the content.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

For the masses, FP's target audience are those who will already contribute to their favorite creator(s) through patreon or any similar means, if you're not one to do so, then FP is not for you.

Edited by lewdicrous

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

- snip -

I'll remove the part with the bot and keep the second sentence, that was meant for everyone.

Thanks for letting us know.