Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorNick

Thermalright Frost Spirit CPU Cooler

Posted · Original PosterOP

A new king in town?

Here are some of the first pictures of the Frost Spirit by Thermalright, the company's next flagship air CPU cooler. Featuring a dual fin-stack design, the Frost Spirit features dense fin-stacks, in which the fins bunch up toward the center, creating turbulence and increasing heat-dissipation to the medium (air-flow). The fin-stack gets slimmer toward the base, adding clearance for your motherboard's memory and CPU VRM areas. Four 8 mm-thick nickel-plated copper heat pipes pull heat from the mirror-finish nickel-plated copper base, spreading it across the fin-stacks. Both stacks are capped off by metal top-plates. Up to three 140 mm fans can be mounted. The heatsink weighs 1 kg on its own (without fans). Among the CPU socket types supported are AM4, LGA115x, and LGA2066. It could see a product launch soon.

MsLRy1i98E642PD6.jpg

iNE3PmuCnHvV5uVC.jpg

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/261943/thermalright-frost-spirit-cpu-cooler-pictured-dual-fin-stack-monstrosity

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3GHz SC/DC, 5.1GHz QC, 5.0Ghz All core, AVX offset 0| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3600Mhz 14-14-14-29, 1N, 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

Does it really matter anymore? The performance is going to be similar to those in its weight class. 

The cooling scene needs something incredible if it wants to be interesting again 

Could be better per dollar than existing solutions

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3GHz SC/DC, 5.1GHz QC, 5.0Ghz All core, AVX offset 0| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3600Mhz 14-14-14-29, 1N, 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

meanwhile Thermalright also made a smaller NH-L9x65 🤔

171243w2j5zhj0s2ja4sdy.jpg

EDIT: holy crap, TIL Thermalright makes copper versions of their AIOs where the rad is made of copper O_O

Cool :D

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

1 minute ago, Soppro said:

Looks clean!  

Yes I quite fancy that design myself

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

Would it beat the prosiphon that  Linus reviewed recently? 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

Just now, williamcll said:

Would it beat the prosiphon that  Linus reviewed recently? 

Who would know, but should be on par with NH-D15

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

There is no way this will cost only 37 USD. TRUE coolers were expensive and they were single tower. There is no way this will cost this little. Looks good though, like the industrial finish without any fancy decorations or plastic shrouds.

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

meanwhile Thermalright also made a smaller NH-L9x65 🤔

171243w2j5zhj0s2ja4sdy.jpg

EDIT: holy crap, TIL Thermalright makes copper versions of their AIOs where the rad is made of copper O_O

They even beat Noctua with the ugliest colors for the fans. 

How the mighty have fallen. 

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

39 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

There is no way this will cost only 37 USD. TRUE coolers were expensive and they were single tower. There is no way this will cost this little. Looks good though, like the industrial finish without any fancy decorations or plastic shrouds.

It might be the price without fans. Still low, but closer to what you would expect.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

47 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They even beat Noctua with the ugliest colors for the fans. 

How the mighty have fallen. 

It's really hard to beat Noctua's Skin and Diarrhea color scheme...

I use 4u rack case with dust filter on front for my computers, so who cares what it looks like as long as it works

11 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

A new king in town?

Here are some of the first pictures of the Frost Spirit by Thermalright, the company's next flagship air CPU cooler. Featuring a dual fin-stack design, the Frost Spirit features dense fin-stacks, in which the fins bunch up toward the center, creating turbulence and increasing heat-dissipation to the medium (air-flow). The fin-stack gets slimmer toward the base, adding clearance for your motherboard's memory and CPU VRM areas. Four 8 mm-thick nickel-plated copper heat pipes pull heat from the mirror-finish nickel-plated copper base, spreading it across the fin-stacks. Both stacks are capped off by metal top-plates. Up to three 140 mm fans can be mounted. The heatsink weighs 1 kg on its own (without fans). Among the CPU socket types supported are AM4, LGA115x, and LGA2066. It could see a product launch soon.

MsLRy1i98E642PD6.jpg

iNE3PmuCnHvV5uVC.jpg

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/261943/thermalright-frost-spirit-cpu-cooler-pictured-dual-fin-stack-monstrosity

looks like the same standard with bigger pipes

we need more exotic air cooling

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

the only cooler i want now is the thermosiphon linus reviewed yesterday 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000