QuadrigaCX - investors want to exhume the body for proof

amdorintel

https://globalnews.ca/news/4982577/cryptocurrency-gerald-cotten-kelowna-home/

With thousands of investors looking to recover an estimated $260 million from insolvent Canadian cryptocurrency exchange QuadrigaCX, it’s no surprise at least one may have hired a private investigator.

Yeah would want to know if he really died, or he just faked his death.

Atleast he had a good home in Kelowna BC, the newspaper article I read said he lived outside Winnipeg or something.

Cotten died from complications due to Crohn’s disease in India on Dec. 9, according to court documents.

he looks young

Access to millions in cryptocurrency were lost when he died, according to court filings.

The 30-year-old Canadian man was apparently the only person who had the encrypted passcodes to offline digital wallets on his laptop.

how crazy and stupid or smart is that, interesting, there had to be a better way of having access to the account info.

BC Assessment lists the partial city-view house on Kelowna’s south slopes as having been purchased for $1.18 million in June 2017.

He could very well have faked his own death, perhaps the marriage was on the rocks. if i invested $0.99 with the cryptocurrency, i would want the rcmp to exhume his body and make 110% sure its really him. forget the wife and all her complaining.

QuadrigaCX did not reveal Cotten’s death to the public until January.

very suspicous

Besides the large Kelowna home, Cotten’s will listed numerous other homes in Nova Scotia, along with two cars, an airplane and a sailboat.

it seemed he had a nack for the high life, i could see him faking his own death, and yes i would want confirmation that his body is really there.

On Wednesday, a Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge selected two law firms to represent QuadrigaCX clients in court proceedings.

court battle on!

Chrons disease huh?  That’s a really ugly way to die.  Chrons disease is microscopic ulcers in you colon.  It’s pretty controllable with medication and diet.  Medication that’s pretty easy to get. It’s not pleasant though.  There’s a lot of diarrhea.  It’s also really really slow.  It’s a disease that while technically potentially fatal, usually isn’t for anyone who isn’t already a senior citizen with anything approaching even 1940’s level medical care.  I’d want to dig him up too.  That’s a pretty unlikely death, even in India.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Chrons disease huh?  That’s a really ugly way to die.  Chrons disease is microscopic ulcers in you colon.  It’s pretty controllable with medication and diet.  Medication that’s pretty easy to get. It’s not pleasant though.  There’s a lot of diarrhea.  It’s also really really slow.  It’s a disease that while technically potentially fatal, usually isn’t for anyone who isn’t already a senior citizen with anything approaching even 1940’s level medical care.  I’d want to dig him up too.  That’s a pretty unlikely death, even in India.

Not to say one way or another on the underlying issue with the company, but your statements on Crohn’s is very misleading and in some parts flat wrong. Crohn’s is more than just a colon disease. It is an autoimmune disease that can show up anywhere from the mouth to the anus. There are also other effects outside of the GI tract, including inflammatory arthritis (think RA) and even eye issues as well. 

Your statement as to it being “pretty controllable” is debatable. While we do have better drugs that work much better than what we had available 30 years ago, they are still not perfect and most people will still get flares despite the treatment. As to the meds being “pretty easy to get,” even with insurance, the newer (and more effective) meds cost a lot and even getting some insurances to pay for them can be a small battle. 

As to your implication that his death was “unlikely” because he wasn’t elderly, that’s flat wrong. The mainstay of treatment since it is an autoimmune disease is to suppress the immune system. If the story is true, he developed a bowel obstruction, which led to him blowing a hole in his intestines (which was most likely in the small intestine actually,) and he got really sick, really fast. Even with today’s medicine, it can be hard to pull somebody out of that (even a younger individual.) Add to that, if where he got sick was in an area that didn’t have a high level of care (and this is not a knock on Indian healthcare at all because even rural hospitals in the US can have a hard time coping with how sick these people can get,) it is entirely plausible that he died like they said he did. (In case you are wondering, yes, I do work in the field of Medicine.)

In the end, could he have faked his death? Yes. However, I agree with on of the other prevailing opinions that he did die and his death essentially prematurely blew the lid off of a Ponzi-like scheme. It will be interesting though to see if the judge grants the request. I’m not sure about Canadian laws on it, but it can be pretty tough to get a court order to exhume a body in the US if the family doesn’t consent. 

Can't they just watch and see if those particular wallets get accessed.  I mean, do they have the ability to do this?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Can't they just watch and see if those particular wallets get accessed.  I mean, do they have the ability to do this?

Reports that I read said that the accounting firm that was appointed to oversee the company in bankruptcy was able to tell that some of the wallets didn’t even have any coin in them at all and hadn’t for some time before his death. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-01/quadriga-has-6-cold-wallets-but-they-don-t-hold-any-crypto

They also found that he had withdrawn coin from user accounts and shifted them to private accounts on other exchanges as well as keeping just enough funds in the company’s hot wallet to pay out companies, etc, which is where the theory that he was actually running a Ponzi scheme comes from. 

https://www.ccn.com/quadrigacx-ceo-faked-crypto-trades-indulged-millionaire-lifestyle-with-customer-funds/

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/06/700651500/crypto-mystery-quadrigas-wallets-are-empty-putting-fate-of-137-million-in-doubt

1 hour ago, JB25304 said:

Not to say one way or another on the underlying issue with the company, but your statements on Crohn’s is very misleading and in some parts flat wrong. Crohn’s is more than just a colon disease. It is an autoimmune disease that can show up anywhere from the mouth to the anus. There are also other effects outside of the GI tract, including inflammatory arthritis (think RA) and even eye issues as well. 

Your statement as to it being “pretty controllable” is debatable. While we do have better drugs that work much better than what we had available 30 years ago, they are still not perfect and most people will still get flares despite the treatment. As to the meds being “pretty easy to get,” even with insurance, the newer (and more effective) meds cost a lot and even getting some insurances to pay for them can be a small battle. 

As to your implication that his death was “unlikely” because he wasn’t elderly, that’s flat wrong. The mainstay of treatment since it is an autoimmune disease is to suppress the immune system. If the story is true, he developed a bowel obstruction, which led to him blowing a hole in his intestines (which was most likely in the small intestine actually,) and he got really sick, really fast. Even with today’s medicine, it can be hard to pull somebody out of that (even a younger individual.) Add to that, if where he got sick was in an area that didn’t have a high level of care (and this is not a knock on Indian healthcare at all because even rural hospitals in the US can have a hard time coping with how sick these people can get,) it is entirely plausible that he died like they said he did. (In case you are wondering, yes, I do work in the field of Medicine.)

In the end, could he have faked his death? Yes. However, I agree with on of the other prevailing opinions that he did die and his death essentially prematurely blew the lid off of a Ponzi-like scheme. It will be interesting though to see if the judge grants the request. I’m not sure about Canadian laws on it, but it can be pretty tough to get a court order to exhume a body in the US if the family doesn’t consent. 

My information about chrons comes from my father having it and what I saw in him.  He never got it anywhere else and apparently that’s where it mostly happens.  He was able to control it mostly with diet alone, and he referred to it as a disease dangerous only to old people.  It wasn’t even detected till he was in his 60’s.

He’d apparently had it for most of his life though.

He had a lot of diarrhea problems and had to be careful about what he ate.  He couldn’t eat stuff that was spicy or abrasive (like popcorn) The medication he took for it was readily available and not under patent in the 90’s.  He apparently had a typical case.  It wasnt even what eventually killed him.

Is it possible that the guy had an atypical or much more severe case?  Sure.  It’s not likely though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

My information about chrons comes from my father having it and what I saw in him.  He never got it anywhere else and apparently that’s where it mostly happens.  He was able to control it mostly with diet alone, and he referred to it as a disease dangerous only to old people.  It wasn’t even detected till he was in his 60’s.

He had a lot of diarrhea problems and had to be careful about what he ate.  He couldn’t eat stuff that was spicy or abrasive (like popcorn) The medication he took for it was readily available and not under patent in the 90’s.  He apparently had a typical case.  It wasnt even what eventually killed him.

Is it possible that the guy had an atypical or much more severe case?  Sure.  It’s not likely though.

Sorry to hear that with your family. I've got a couple of family members with long tern undiagnosed illnesses, that are similar in presenting like chrons. :(

Like with many diseases, it varies. Don't assume one instance, or one personal experience, speaks for everyone.

Better hope the investigator could find the right bits to connect

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m sorry to hear about your father, but his case was far from typical.  There is a bimodal distribution (2 age peaks) of diagnosis with the bulk of cases occurring at age 30 and younger with a second peak once you hit age 60+. For the older onset group, they tend to have more colon involvement (like your father) while the first and larger group has a higher involvement of the small intestine. The longer you have the disease, the more likely you will have a relapse into symptomatic disease with some estimates reaching up to a 75% chance of a relapse of symptomatic disease after being in remission over a 10 year period.  There is a significant portion who have chronic active disease with some estimates as high as 10% of patients as well. 

While this all doesn’t mean that he couldn’t have faked his death, the complications that happened to him happen and are certainly not rare. While even those people don’t all die, there are some that do. Add to that any delay in diagnosis of his complication and delay in accessing a higher level of care just makes the scenario even more likely. 

As much as the junior doctors found on Reddit and various conspiracy circles love to concoct this image of the dude faking his death, the details of his death are certainly not rare and certainly not unheard of. 

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

If you're gonna take your death to the point where you come up with a replacement body, why the he'll wouldn't you go for cremation?

A salient point.

Its a valid argument, especially if some odd incidences have taken place, which raises more of a concern, especially with millions upon millions  upon hundred millions of dollars is on the line. good enough reason to "die" in india

16 hours ago, JB25304 said:

Reports that I read said that the accounting firm that was appointed to oversee the company in bankruptcy was able to tell that some of the wallets didn’t even have any coin in them at all and hadn’t for some time before his death. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-01/quadriga-has-6-cold-wallets-but-they-don-t-hold-any-crypto

They also found that he had withdrawn coin from user accounts and shifted them to private accounts on other exchanges as well as keeping just enough funds in the company’s hot wallet to pay out companies, etc, which is where the theory that he was actually running a Ponzi scheme comes from. 

https://www.ccn.com/quadrigacx-ceo-faked-crypto-trades-indulged-millionaire-lifestyle-with-customer-funds/

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/06/700651500/crypto-mystery-quadrigas-wallets-are-empty-putting-fate-of-137-million-in-doubt

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

Its a valid argument, especially if some odd incidences have taken place, which raises more of a concern, especially with millions upon millions  upon hundred millions of dollars is on the line. good enough reason to "die" in india

I can see why some people think that for sure.  Like I said, it still could be possible that he did.  I do agree with @ravenshrike though in that if you were going to fake your own death, it would make more sense to cremate the dummy body instead of burying it.  That way, nobody could prove it was or wasn't you.  With that being said, criminals are often dumb and there have certainly been some to make that very mistake.  With common things being common though, the guy died due to complications of his disease.  That, or if they dig him up and confirm that it is him, then the next theory is going to be that somebody killed him because he knew too much and they wanted the money for themselves.  That's the one thing about conspiracy theories, no matter what proof you give to debunk one, there is always going to be another one right behind it. 

I will admit though, not to belittle the fact that as far as we officially know that the guy is dead, the whole story makes for a good read that seems like it comes from a Hollywood movie.