Ducky Shine Ii Review (green Led Backlighting)

Rhinofeed

If you want a keyboard with backlighting this is the keyboard to get. I'm going to post the text of my review here, but if you'd like to see my pictures and full video review check it out on my website!

http://rhinofeed.com/ducky-shine-ii-review

=====

Hello everyone! Once again, I bring you another mechanical keyboard review. I'm happy to announce I've convinced my Dad to get his first mechanical keyboard, and might I say, he picked one of the best!

The switches on this particular model are the Cherry MX Browns. Cherry MX Browns are a very versatile switch in that they are good for both typing and gaming. They have a light tactile bump at 45g. The bump helps with typing, but the lightness and snappiness of the switch allows for fast response during gaming. Still, if you're an avid gamer, a linear switch such as Cherry MX Reds are the better option.

Ducky uses Cherry stabilizers for the larger keys. Some would say it feels mushier than Costar stabilizers, as you cannot easily bottom out. I like the experience though, and I certainly wouldn't take a point off.

As far as build quality goes, this keyboard feels extremely solid with its' can't-go-wrong-with black, blocky, matte, plastic design. Also, the dual layer PCB really makes a difference.

There are four grippy pads on the bottom to prevent slippage — larger than most. I'm still waiting for a keyboard manufacturer to put the rubber pads on the flip-out feet.

The cable is removable, and underneath the keyboard there are three reroutable tracks for the cable to follow.

The backlighting has 6 levels of brightness, and several modes that allow for really neat effects.

- 60%, which only shows the main typing area.
- Full backlighting.
- Fading, which ranges from fullest brightness to lowest brightness.
- Reactive mode, which lights up each key as you type.
- Scrolling marquee, which scrolls across the top row.

But wait, there's more! Ducky gives you the ability to have two custom profiles! Just press FN + REC1 or FN + REC2 (underneath the Print Screen and Pause keys) to start recording. The keyboard has 64kb of onboard memory, so you can plug it into any computer, and it will remember your custom lighting without having to install software. Super cool.

Other than your brightness controls, custom profiles, and backlighting modes, there are many other shortcut keys on the top row. You'll find all of your volume adjustment and media keys from F1-F7, and on the right side you'll find a dedicated calculator key, a Windows Explorer key, a Default Email App key, and a Default Web Browser key.

There are also four dip switches on the underside of the keyboard which change key layouts and functions.

- DIP 1 swaps left Ctrl and Caps Lock.
- DIP 2 swaps left Alt and left Windows key for Mac users.
- DIP 3 disables Windows key.
- DIP 4 enables N-key Rollover over USB (otherwise it's 6-key rollover).

Now let's talk about the cons — which were clearly fabricated from my innate attention to detail. Seriously, these don't matter; just buy this keyboard.

The Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock keys stay at the highest brightness level at all times. It would be nice if they were just one brightness level higher than your chosen setting, so it doesn't overpower the rest of the backlighting. The backlighting can be **very** bright if you want it to be.

I suppose they were starting to run out of keys to add more shortcuts and functions, but personally, I like the layout of the shortcut keys much better on the Ducky Zero DK2108, which has only the volume and calculator shortcut keys above the keypad. You would miss out on Windows Explorer, Email, and Web Browser; but I don't use those keys as often as I use the volume adjustment. I'm used to pressing Win + E for Explorer already, and I rarely close my web browser to have to open it again.

The Windows key lock is a tiny dip switch on the underside of the keyboard instead of a shortcut key, which makes it very inconvenient to reach if you use that feature often.

Fingerprints gather on the space bar and other larger keys because the texture of the keycaps (ABS) is surprisingly smooth. It feels great, but the fingerprints are a little disconcerting.

So there you have it, my review is complete. Thanks for reading; I hope you've enjoyed it enough to share it with your friends. Try to get them to switch to a mechanical keyboard!

I agree about the caps and num pad lighting, I switched over to a DK9008 yesterday and that is pretty much the only thing that bugged me too. Almost forgot, great review :)

Really good review with nice pictures! You give basically everything a future customer would possibly want to know. If I had the money/gaming build for one, I might consider this keyboard, but I should first wait until I can build a rig that needs a keyboard like this :P

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Really good review with nice pictures! You give basically everything a future customer would possibly want to know. If I had the money/gaming build for one, I might consider this keyboard, but I should first wait until I can build a rig that needs a keyboard like this :P

Nah, don't wait, haha. The keyboard is the most important part!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

Looking awesome mate!

Also how much do the cherry stablisers help? I'm guessing they are just like blank keys but how much of a difference do they make?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Stabilizers even out the keystroke so that the key does not wobble when typing, they are found underneath larger keys only.

I like the Cherry stabilizers for two reasons:

1. They're quieter than Costar stabilizers, especially on the space bar. 

2. They do feel a bit softer (some would say "mushy") than Costar stabilizers, and I like that since I hit the larger keys with my pinkies, 

Great review. Slick's such a Ducky fanboi and with revise like this of their products it's easy to see why.

Well, if he's such a Ducky fanboi, I'd bet he'd lay down good money on this:

20130416_202526_zps03e04760.jpg

Ignore the wrist rest, it's from my other mech KB, works well with the Ducky.

BTW, excellent review, big Ducky KB fanboi here, considering the Ducky YOTD KB too.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

my god I wish I had money for this.

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

my ducky shine 2 ScrLk key doesn't seem to be working, i can see that it's but it still gives me the same functions as when it's off. Any suggestions?

nvm, found the problem lol

Edited by zeromahn

PRAISE THE SUN!!!!

Nice review, only problem i had with my Ducky was the squeaky spacebar at first but it seems to have disappeared

Where can i purchase one?

I would also like to know where to buy Ducky in Canada. I would very seriously consder replacing my K90 with one.

Awww, I really wanted to write a review for my Ducky Shine II. It's the blue LED and MX blue keyswitch combo. Oh well, this is what i get for procrastinating i guess

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Awww, I really wanted to write a review for my Ducky Shine II. It's the blue LED and MX blue keyswitch combo. Oh well, this is what i get for procrastinating i guess

Considering that is the Ducky Shine keyboard I would get I would surely be interested in your review. You can never have enough reviews. The more the less bias there is overall. 

My general question is with the Ducky Shine II for anyone who has one, how is it to use when there is no wrist rest built in? I'm currently using a Microsoft Digital Media keyboard 3000 and has some what of a wrist rest, and I'm waiting on the release of the new Cooler Master Trigger Keyboard cause of the wrist rest, and don't know if I'll regret getting a keyboard without a wrist rest. And I don't want to have to buy a wrist rest that will not be attached to the keyboard, cause then it can move around which I think would be annoying. 

Great review, is it as solid as a Filco? Heared that Filco should be even better in some forums.

Considering that is the Ducky Shine keyboard I would get I would surely be interested in your review. You can never have enough reviews. The more the less bias there is overall. 

My general question is with the Ducky Shine II for anyone who has one, how is it to use when there is no wrist rest built in? I'm currently using a Microsoft Digital Media keyboard 3000 and has some what of a wrist rest, and I'm waiting on the release of the new Cooler Master Trigger Keyboard cause of the wrist rest, and don't know if I'll regret getting a keyboard without a wrist rest. And I don't want to have to buy a wrist rest that will not be attached to the keyboard, cause then it can move around which I think would be annoying. 

I still find it very comfortable to use without a wrist rest; technically it's bad posture to be using a wrist rest anyway.

Great review, is it as solid as a Filco? Heared that Filco should be even better in some forums.

I've never owned or tried a Filco to compare it. Some-day I'll definitely give em' a try though. 

Where can i purchase one?

https://www.pccasegear.com The official Ducky keyboard retailer ^__^

If you live in australia

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I bought it at mechanicalkeyboards.com. Sometimes they don't have them in stock but you can see whenever their shipments come in and snipe them. :P

The shine is twice the price of the zero and the only difference is the back lighting.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

But i live in the US.

I was making a funny ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |