How is Google reading my text messages? Suggests things based on my texts

acosta

Hi,

My mum just sent me a movie name to watch (on my phone via. texts not messenger), it's called 6 underground, I started by typing the number 6 into Google on my laptop and the first 2 suggestions are "6 underground" and "6 underground cast" (it's just a suggestion, not a previous search history).

Can somebody tell me how is this possible? The only thing that I can think of is that someone using my internet connection searched it up?

OR

Just maybe

It's a highly popular film right now and many people are searching for it

image.thumb.png.738aa493daf2d2dc7cdb37aeeed961a4.png

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

OR

Just maybe

It's a highly popular film right now and many people are searching for it

Perhaps, although I wouldn't expect it show up after just typing the number 6...

Just now, acosta said:

Perhaps, although I wouldn't expect it show up after just typing the number 6...

I more than certainly would.

That's how trends work

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

It seems pretty popular, when I type in 6 it suggests 6 underground

If you get enough people to Google search the same thing, eventually it will show up as one of the auto complete search suggestions. You getting a text about something that is popular and that same popular something appearing in the auto complete suggestions is purely coincidental. If it was not very popular, you wouldn't have seen it.

It shows up for me if I just type 6 in Google search.

12 minutes ago, acosta said:

Hi,

My mum just sent me a movie name to watch (on my phone via. texts not messenger), it's called 6 underground, I started by typing the number 6 into Google on my laptop and the first 2 suggestions are "6 underground" and "6 underground cast" (it's just a suggestion, not a previous search history).

Can somebody tell me how is this possible? The only thing that I can think of is that someone using my internet connection searched it up?

Google reads everything, from keystrokes typed but not yet pressed enter, scans/reads all gmails, attaches ip's to your activities and sells to the highest bidder, that is how they make money.

Never heard of the movie, never searched for it. I'm getting the exact same suggestions, there's no conspiracy theory. I guess this is a good example of how a lack of tech understanding and paranoia are contributing to the privacy panic we're seeing right now. 

That said, if you don't want Google, Microsoft or whoever to have access to your data, stop using their stuff. The reason they provide you with a litany of free software and services is because they subsidize it with your data. Otherwise you'd be paying monthly subscriptions for everything like email, calendar, YouTube, GPS, photo storage, voice assistant and so on.

Untitled.png

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Definitely, Google is spying. I trust Google as far as I can throw my F150.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

That said, if you don't want Google, Microsoft or whoever to have access to your data, stop using their stuff. The reason they provide you with a litany of free software and services is because they subsidize it with your data

yup, that is so true. litany of free software on purpose, money, tracking info.

i think that is the way android apps for the cell phone work too right, they unknowingly literally trace your gps coordinates. <---that sentence is crazy! LOL hello my name is amdorintel, i am new to esl

Never heard of that movie, but Google still suggested it (fifth suggestion). After of course some unit conversion stuff.

image.png.a6f76a058f12db79c9fa98379a454404.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Google's CEO has personally directed an entire engineering team to watch you, and only you.

Screenshot from 2019-12-16 09-29-51.png

1 minute ago, Geoff35674567 said:

Google's CEO has personally directed an entire engineering team to watch you, and only you.

so buy google home assistant speaker and wonder why you are getting recipes for green peas

Buy one immediately.

29144631158_1c608978fb_b.jpg

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

so buy google home assistant speaker and wonder why you are getting recipes for green peas

Do you remember when MS released a twitter AI that wanted to genocide mexicans after a short time of letting randoms ask it questions? What would happen if you subjected a home assistant to a marathon of horror movies? Can you torture a home assistant and create a monster?

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

A garage door opener?

Bug finder

For finding the hidden microphones. 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Caroline said:

oh

you don't need it though, mic isn't hidden at all tho since it's on the phone or any other kind of smart device

"smart" snort choke ? gasp!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!