looking to learn coding but do not know how to start

looking at start to learn coding but dont know how and what to start with ,

there are alot of people saying about what language to learn but what should i actually start with ,

i like to work around with data and numbers as well as looking to learn to develop api

For data science there is nothing better than python. Start with basics on a website like codcadamy. 

From there start looking at numpy and Matplotlib. 

As for apis will I haven't had much experience with developing in python I do however build production apis for a financial crm in nodejs. 

Look into express or my new favourite framework fastify. 

Advanced topics from there are mulithreading/multi processes and neural networks. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

For data science there is nothing better than python. Start with basics on a website like codcadamy. 

From there start looking at numpy and Matplotlib. 

As for apis will I haven't had much experience with developing in python I do however build production apis for a financial crm in nodejs. 

Look into express or my new favourite framework fastify. 

Advanced topics from there are mulithreading/multi processes and neural networks. 

alright bro , ill look into it , thanks 

Batch/Bash for very basic programming concepts

Python/AutoIt for more advanced concepts

C/C#/C++ for more memory management, advanced level stuff

VBA for learning to make Word/Excel/Office Macros

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

i was looking at sql and i dont know if its something good to learn as a beginner 

18 minutes ago, noobyirong said:

i was looking at sql and i dont know if its something good to learn as a beginner 

Sure if you need a relation database to store data. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

• 3 weeks later...

If you really just want to try the basics, I would look into something called "PICO-8", it's a very simple virtual 8-bit game console that you can make your own games for. The language it uses is called LUA and it's a very simple C-like language. I like PICO-8 and Lua because there is nothing extra, there is a simple graphics API in the form of baked in LUA functions you can call and you get the instant visual confirmation of what you're programming. It's easy to get overwhelmed by the complexity of getting started in a more formal language without actually getting your feet wet in how to think as a programmer and games programming helps you see the fruit of your labor instantly.

As many others have stated here, though, Python is probably the most approachable if you want to go that route.

C++ is the first language I learned.
You want to start off with the basics like the "hello world" program and work up from there, I know that sounds stupid
but working up from the basics is key.

> Visual Studio
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

> Cool Site here
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

homeofmew (homeofmew#1337)

[ | folding@home | F@A Extreme Over Clocking | Bionic | ]

Bachelors of Science in Mathematics, University of Houston

I like to recommend codecademy. 

Start with Java. It’s short & well made on the site & free. 

After that, you can decide “do i want to program applications? Or would I like to learn websites?” 

If you decide applications, you’re basically set for a bunch of languages with minute syntax changes. 

If you want to make websites, do the HTML on codecademy, then CSS, then JavaScript (different from java) and then do PHP. Then SQL. 

I don’t know much about power shell use, but things like shell scripts for Linux are pretty easy to pick up once you know java. 

I don’t know anything at all for math languages like matlab. 

On 12/15/2019 at 5:51 PM, vorticalbox said:

For data science there is nothing better than python.

There are Lisp and R/S.

Write in C.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:22 PM, fpo said:

I don’t know much about power shell use, but things like shell scripts for Linux are pretty easy to pick up once you know java. 

I don't see really see how java help you script better. It's better just to use terminal more. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:00 AM, Erik Sieghart said:

The OP already mentioned he's interested in data science and API creation.

I strongly recommend against Java since anything Java can do C# can do better in his case.

Except cross platform compatibility. If you need to write your code for another platform, Java beats all other languages. You can do cross compiling and use cross platform frameworks like Qt but it still is a bigger Hassel and requires more work to write for different platform compare to java's write once and that's it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

I don't see really see how java help you script better. It's better just to use terminal more. 

Once you know java, you know about loops, methods & variables. That’s how it’d help.