PS5 release date, specs, news, and rumors for Sony’s PlayStation 5

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I like that it has a display,  that then wouldn't be used to show the real goods like temps,  frequencies and fps,  but instead for gaming related "gimmicks" almost no dev would ever use (theoretically speaking of course!) 

Reveal hidden contents

Btw,  what indications you mean? I also just noticed it's a V (5)  so it might be the real thing after all haha (I mean Sony loves weird ass designs so I guess?) 

Thankfully, that display is there just for debugging purposes -- Microsoft's Xbox One X dev unit has a display as well.  Although I can't imagine why non-devs would want to see temperatures, clock speeds and frames per second... if your console is overheating, throttling or running a title poorly, then it's the game developer that screwed up!

29 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Thankfully, that display is there just for debugging purposes -- Microsoft's Xbox One X dev unit has a display as well.  Although I can't imagine why non-devs would want to see temperatures, clock speeds and frames per second... if your console is overheating, throttling or running a title poorly, then it's the game developer that screwed up!

BECAUSE I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY FPS!

It would be super cool (hence Sony would never do it lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Really can't see it as final design tho.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Really can't see it as final design tho.

Devkits never look like the retail units. Usually closest a devkit ever gets to final hardware are devkits that are sent out during the middle of the hardware cycle, not the beginning, because at that point the devkits are basically the release hardware with debug firmware.

I physically recoiled when I saw that... thing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Really hyped for Horizon Zero Dawn 2(or whatever it ends up being called) and this new controller haptic stuff.
Sounds like it'd really help with immersion.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Screenshot_20191215-113207_Gallery.jpgbest picture ive ever seen of these, kinda sad there isnt a ps5 controller on it

✨FNIGE✨

On 12/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, WereCatf said:

That's a dev-console, not the final console. Look at the following picture, can you guess what it is?

That's a PS3 dev-kit. Just goes to show how stupid it is to jump to the conclusion and then rage about it on the Internet that the dev-kit looks stupid, therefore the final release will do too.

That's fair, but they could have also shoved PS5's hardware into a black box too. While the dev-kit may not be the finished aesthetic, I don't think it will be radically different either because they've clearly put effort into the design. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I think using the developer console which is also a prototype as an indicator for what the PS5 could look like is the last thing you should do. Like seriously look at the ps4, ps3, ps2 dev kit, they look nothing like the final product. (Except for the PS1, the PS1 dev kit did look nearly the same as the final product with the exception of colours and its ports)

PS4 Dev Kit                                                                                                                                           PS2 Dev Kitimage.png.e713de60426aef9256e04e1409dd9a4d.pngimage.png.1d45ed2d426262c68fa34610647ff0f3.png                                                                     PS3 Dev Kit --->image.png.8af4255ced373fe0bd6b7582a2ebcc9c.png

On 12/17/2019 at 6:54 AM, MegaDave91 said:

they've clearly put effort into the design.

They kinda do put effort in design for nearly every developer kit though, that is except for the ps3 one, that is just a black box with ports

3 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

They kinda do put effort in design for nearly every developer kit though, that is except for the ps3 one, that is just a black box with ports

Interesting. I've never seen the PS2/4 dev-kits before. The PS4 dev-kit still has a box-like semblance but with a faceplate, so I'm not entirely convinced the PS5 won't closely resemble its own dev-kit. Time will tell. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1 hour ago, MegaDave91 said:

Interesting. I've never seen the PS2/4 dev-kits before. The PS4 dev-kit still has a box-like semblance but with a faceplate, so I'm not entirely convinced the PS5 won't closely resemble its own dev-kit. Time will tell. 

Yep.  Personally I think they’ll do a total restyle. They may have been hoping the thing would work, but there’s just too many toilet seat memes.  Personally I think they should keep the basic design.  That thing could be fixed with only very minor changes to solve the toilet seat issue.  Just changing the color helps already.  If it needs the airflow it needs the airflow.  What I fear is they will hobble  their equipment with bad airflow just to please the haters.  Again time will tell.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.