Choice of AMD 3rd Gen or Intel I9/I7

Hey everyone. After watching LTT's Holiday CPU buying guide, I've become more confused on what CPU to throw money at. My previous build, about 1 month ago, I went with the AMD Ryzen 3700x. Prices have now varied across the board since that time, and some other options have popped out around the same price range. 

Is it worth it again going for the 3700x, or should I go for the Core I7 9700F (which Isn't displaying in my region of Australia) on PCPartsPicker. I'm happy how my recent build came out, and most games are well above 60fps on high or ultra settings i.e. MW in 1440p. Is it worth the extra cash for the I7 9700F? Let me know. Any major differences?

2078480869_ScreenShot2019-12-15at5_38_11pm.png.67996df4c21853831ac0c26ff85d71a2.png

(EDIT) I've even found some pretty good bundles with Intel/AMD CPU+MOBO combos:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/bundle-deal-intel-core-i7-9700k-cpu-asus-rog-strix-h370f-gaming-motherboard-ac28734

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/bundle-deal-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-cpu-asus-rog-strix-b450f-gaming-motherboard-ac28743

https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/490/

If the pc is mostly gaming focused, then you could for  a 9700f or 9700kf you could oc the gf and have more fps than the amd cpus but lesser productivity scores

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

6 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

If the pc is mostly gaming focused, then you could for  a 9700f or 9700kf you could oc the gf and have more fps than the amd cpus but lesser productivity scores

Yes, mostly orientated towards gaming. Not quite sure what you mean by overclocking, whether manually going into BIOS or the one-click method if Intel provides it. Not a huge fan of learning how to OC, prefer straight out of the box playability. 

AMD again. since you need to spent more money on boards

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

I would go with AMD as the Intel gaming advantage is slowly dwindling away, especially as newer titles are taking advantage of more cores and are becoming more optimized for AMD as well.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 hour ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Hey everyone. After watching LTT's Holiday CPU buying guide, I've become more confused on what CPU to throw money at. My previous build, about 1 month ago, I went with the AMD Ryzen 3700x. Prices have now varied across the board since that time, and some other options have popped out around the same price range. 

Is it worth it again going for the 3700x, or should I go for the Core I7 9700F (which Isn't displaying in my region of Australia) on PCPartsPicker. I'm happy how my recent build came out, and most games are well above 60fps on high or ultra settings i.e. MW in 1440p. Is it worth the extra cash for the I7 9700F? Let me know. Any major differences?

2078480869_ScreenShot2019-12-15at5_38_11pm.png.67996df4c21853831ac0c26ff85d71a2.png

(EDIT) I've even found some pretty good bundles with Intel/AMD CPU+MOBO combos:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/bundle-deal-intel-core-i7-9700k-cpu-asus-rog-strix-h370f-gaming-motherboard-ac28734

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/bundle-deal-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-cpu-asus-rog-strix-b450f-gaming-motherboard-ac28743

https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/490/

i would go with amd, jut make sure you get a board with good vrms and pcb so you dont have super high temps...

seems to be a problem with cheaper b450 and x570 boards

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 hours ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Yes, mostly orientated towards gaming. Not quite sure what you mean by overclocking, whether manually going into BIOS or the one-click method if Intel provides it. Not a huge fan of learning how to OC, prefer straight out of the box playability. 

Overclocking is not that hard if you understand and do it,
In most cases you can increase the cpu multiplier till you face a windows crash while stress testing and after that point if you  still have temperature headroom you can increase the core voltage till it stable or till you reach temperatures which you are not comfortable at

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

I see everyone favours the AMD platform. @scuff gang, are the motherboards listed okay in terms of good vrms and pcb as you mentioned? 

@Srijan Verma you make it easy, might give it a crack, i'll have to know what mobo and cpu allow oc though before buying 

Get a Ryzen 3600 and wait until Zen 3 and upgrade to something that will beat Intel in every aspect including gaming. 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

8 hours ago, SamtheMan101 said:

I see everyone favours the AMD platform. @scuff gang, are the motherboards listed okay in terms of good vrms and pcb as you mentioned? 

@Srijan Verma you make it easy, might give it a crack, i'll have to know what mobo and cpu allow oc though before buying 

If you search up motherboard tier list there will be one that had "x570 update" click that and look through at the different rankings 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Confused - you already have a 3700x and considering changing? Or making a second system?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

16 hours ago, Columbo said:

Get a Ryzen 3600 and wait until Zen 3 and upgrade to something that will beat Intel in every aspect including gaming. 

The price difference between the 3600 and 3600x in Australian dollars is a mere 30$ difference. 

9 hours ago, scuff gang said:

If you search up motherboard tier list there will be one that had "x570 update" click that and look through at the different rankings 

Found it! thanks 

8 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Confused - you already have a 3700x and considering changing? Or making a second system?

I had a 3700x in my previous system (which I passed down to my little brother). Now another system for myself. Prices have dropped between Intel and AMD but I think everyone's jumped the intel ship and boarded the amd wagon, so now i'm just weighing my options 

9 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

I had a 3700x in my previous system (which I passed down to my little brother). Now another system for myself. Prices have dropped between Intel and AMD but I think everyone's jumped the intel ship and boarded the amd wagon, so now i'm just weighing my options 

well, IMO since  you are the big brother you should have a 3900x ?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

18 hours ago, SamtheMan101 said:

On 12/15/2019 at 4:35 PM, SamtheMan101 said:

i'll have to know what mobo and cpu allow oc though before buying 

For oc the cpu should be k series for Intel and the motherboard should be Z-series like (z370 and z390)
z390 are usually the preferred but if you could get a z370 for cheap then could go for it

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

9700f is only worth it if you like pushing frames at lower graphical settings, with a very high end GPU (2080S or 2080ti), basically only for professional type gaming where somehow having a difference between 350fps vs 400fps might actually be felt by certain people, at high detail or in more demand games the CPU becomes the bottleneck and there isn't really a difference for Zen 2 AMD vs Intel 9th gen.  Personally i do setup my games closer to this standard, as i enjoy the low latency feel, but have no grief with the fact i bought a 3600 as i likewise can't call myself a pro gamer, i just want things consistently near 144hz 1080p low or medium because that feels more luxurious to me then fancy special effects. 

You mentioned "Ultra" settings, and 60FPS, that alone should probably tell you there isn't much to be gained for you with a 9700f+Manual OC, i think the 9700f though would be a good choice if somebody already had a decent, overclocking compatablt, z390 board, but since you are starting from scratch i'd just go AMD, with both of them you can find Motherboards that can overclock a 8 core for 100$ if you choose the right ones. 

If you wanted a weird flex, you could get a 3800x or 3900x, the 3900x will be a better buy, unless you can find the 3800x for near same price as 3700 in which its 100-200mhz higher clockspeeds might be fun to flex with even if they bearly matter (rare but occasionally shops list it near 3700x price, during black friday bunch of places did), realistically though i'd just get same 3700x and get a nicest GPU you can afford.