CPU+Mobo or Display upgrade dilemma

Hello,

so a few months ago i upgraded my GPU to a 2070s, but i am still stuck on 6600k running at 4.5Ghz and a 1080p 60hz monitor.

I am heavily bottlenecked in 90% of games, so much so that the cpu is running at 100% and gpu barely hits 70% of usage.

and i am in a dilemma now, is it better to upgrade the cpu and motherboard or to get a 1440p UW display, cause i think at that resolution then i will be more likely GPU  bound?

So what would be the wisest decision?

Buy a 2700x and a new Mobo and you probably could still afford a 144hz 1080p monitor which makes a HUGE difference.

Need to know what you want to upgrade from.  Yes your GPU can handle a lot more monitor.  Without knowing what you cpu/motherboard is though it’s difficult.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

oh sorry i forgot to mention that.

my current setup is a:

i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz

Asus Ranger VIII

16GB 3600Mhz RAM

650W Corsair RMx power supply, everything is more or less  important.

now i kept my eyes on Ryzen 3700x and Aorus elite X570 or a good ultrawide or normal 16:9 1440p 144hz display.

Just now, Magnum_Opus91 said:

oh sorry i forgot to mention that.

my current setup is a:

i5 6600k @ 4.5Ghz

Asus Ranger VIII

16GB 3600Mhz RAM

650W Corsair RMx power supply, everything is more or less  important.

now i kept my eyes on Ryzen 3700x and Aorus elite X570 or a good ultrawide or normal 16:9 1440p 144hz display.

Ah.  4/4.  Yeah, that’s been becoming a problem.  If it’s a k chip you’ll have a cooler for it.  Does it have an am4 mount?  I am given to understand while the 2xxx series chips don’t clock very well they do clock a little.  Might be worth recycling it.

another thought is do the monitor not the cpu, and just don’t play any newer games till you upgrade your cpu/monitor.  That 6600k isn’t slow, it’s just short on threads.  If the games you play don’t need more thread spaces you won’t notice the difference.  The cpu/mobo is coming though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So it`s better then to upgrade the monitor and then down the line the cpu and mobo?

i wouldn`t contemplate so much on this if these new x570 motherboards wouldn`t cost soo much.