What is the difference of DIMM-R and DIMM-S

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to ask what is the difference of DIMM-R and DIMM-S. And if there is a difference in performance between the two if I insert my ram stick in there. And if it is alright to leave my RAM stick in the DIMM-S slot.

I am asking this because my laptop was not posting earlier, there was no Asus startup sound and logo. So I tried to move my RAM stick that was initially in the DIMM-R slot to the DIMM-S slot. And it booted up and my laptop works normally now. Although I have not tried any heavy tasks yet.

Thank you very much!

Specs:

Asus Strix Hero II (GL504GM-DS74)

CPU: i7-8750H

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB

79370238_2600560666658237_1077256954084065280_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=Vqv4-EOLqkIAQnJYyTVRS1lM26QpyXK951W8d3qbyTY38KB8-8DBg-J9A&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl2-1.fna&oh=655c2922d611a71f4d6e3e3be81a6653&oe=5E842F78

I would assume those are just labels the handbook can refer to (like "DIMM left" and "DIMM right"). It's possible one slot is broken which is why moving the RAM solved the issue.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Then it's probably that DIMM-R stands for Registered, regular DIMM sticks wouldn't work there that's why it didn't post.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Then it's probably that DIMM-R stands for Registered, regular DIMM sticks wouldn't work there that's why it didn't post.

I thought about this, but it would be an unusual thing for a notebook to have and afaik it's typically called "R-DIMM" and not "DIMM-R".

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply