Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Top-Hat Meerkat

4K 60Hz or 1440p 75Hz?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Which would be the better option: A 60Hz 4K monitor (AOC U2790VQ), or a 75Hz 1440p monitor (ASUS MX25AQ)? From what I can see the other specifications are relatively similar. Is the difference in resolution or the difference in refresh rate more noticeable?

 

I enjoy to game and will also be using the display for design related work. The rest of the time I will use it to watch youtube and look at memes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any option for 1440p 144Hz? 75Hz isn't noticeable from 60Hz, and 4K isn't very distinguishable from 1440p on monitors that aren't very large(I'd say maybe <30", if you sit at an average distance from the screen). 144Hz on the other hand, makes the overall usage of your PC much smoother, except on some video playback(because most video streaming sites like Youtube only support up to 60FPS video). General usage like moving your mouse around and browsing the web will feel much more fluid. Everyone that I've convinced to switch to 144Hz find it hard to go back.

 

If those are the only 2 options, then I'd take the cheaper one, because 60Hz and 75Hz are basically the same thing and the rest of the specs are basically the same. 4K vs 1440p at this monitor size shouldn't be too noticeable, so I'd save money and get whichever's cheaper


i like water.

GPU Cooling Tier List | CPU Cooling Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | PSU Tier List       <<<<<<PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE BUYING

 

 

USEFUL TUTORIALS

-HOW TO BUILD A PC STEP BY STEP

-WHAT TO DO FIRST WITH A BRAND NEW BUILD

-HOW TO SEE PC UTILISATION IN GAME(ie CPU usage, GPU temps, CPU temps etc.)

-EASIEST WAY TO OVERCLOCK RAM ON RYZEN CPUs

 

CURRENT PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

RAM: 2X8 GB 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (timings tightened to 14-17-17-30 from 16-18-18-38)

Storage: 240GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus(boot), 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X TRIO

PSU: Corsair RM650x

OS: Windows 10 Home Unactivated

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White

Case Fans: 9x Corsair LL120

Cables: Cablemod C-series White ModFlex Cables

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Top-Hat Meerkat said:

Which would be the better option: A 60Hz 4K monitor (AOC U2790VQ), or a 75Hz 1440p monitor (ASUS MX25AQ)? From what I can see the other specifications are

4K in general IMO

But do you need 100% sRGB? Because you'd just want a decent IPS panel in that case

 

what's your budget/country?

You can just run games at a lower resolution without issue on the 4K display. Or grab an RX 5700/XT for radeon image sharpening to cheat out 4k visuals/performance.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Any option for 1440p 144Hz? 75Hz isn't noticeable from 60Hz, and 4K isn't very distinguishable from 1440p on monitors that aren't very large(I'd say maybe <30", if you sit at an average distance from the screen). 144Hz on the other hand, makes the overall usage of your PC much smoother, except on some video playback(because most video streaming sites like Youtube only support up to 60FPS video). General usage like moving your mouse around and browsing the web will feel much more fluid. Everyone that I've convinced to switch to 144Hz find it hard to go back.

 

If those are the only 2 options, then I'd take the cheaper one, because 60Hz and 75Hz are basically the same thing and the rest of the specs are basically the same. 4K vs 1440p at this monitor size shouldn't be too noticeable, so I'd save money and get whichever's cheaper

Actually, I found an AOC CQ27G2 which is 1440p 144Hz. It has a VA panel which (in my knowledge) won't be as good for the design related work, but of course it has the higher refresh rate. It's a bit more expensive, but would that be the better option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Top-Hat Meerkat said:

Actually, I found an AOC CQ27G2 which is 1440p 144Hz. It has a VA panel which (in my knowledge) won't be as good for the design related work, but of course it has the higher refresh rate. It's a bit more expensive, but would that be the better option?

Yeah it won't be as good for the design bit, but tbh I'd get that one because difference between 144hz and 60/75hz is much greater than difference between IPS and VA

 

Where do you live? Are these monitor choices limited by any way(ie not many monitor choices in your country) or are you just shortlisting options?


i like water.

GPU Cooling Tier List | CPU Cooling Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | PSU Tier List       <<<<<<PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE BUYING

 

 

USEFUL TUTORIALS

-HOW TO BUILD A PC STEP BY STEP

-WHAT TO DO FIRST WITH A BRAND NEW BUILD

-HOW TO SEE PC UTILISATION IN GAME(ie CPU usage, GPU temps, CPU temps etc.)

-EASIEST WAY TO OVERCLOCK RAM ON RYZEN CPUs

 

CURRENT PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

RAM: 2X8 GB 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (timings tightened to 14-17-17-30 from 16-18-18-38)

Storage: 240GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus(boot), 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X TRIO

PSU: Corsair RM650x

OS: Windows 10 Home Unactivated

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White

Case Fans: 9x Corsair LL120

Cables: Cablemod C-series White ModFlex Cables

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

4K in general IMO

But do you need 100% sRGB? Because you'd just want a decent IPS panel in that case

 

what's your budget/country?

You can just run games at a lower resolution without issue on the 4K display. Or grab an RX 5700/XT for radeon image sharpening to cheat out 4k visuals/performance.

The 4K one is actually about $90 (NZD, my currency) cheaper (it's on sale), at about $410. The 1440p one is about $470. My budget is $500. Ideally I have 100% sRGB, but I don't think I'll need more than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Top-Hat Meerkat said:

The 4K one is actually about $90 (NZD, my currency) cheaper (it's on sale), at about $410. The 1440p one is about $470. My budget is $500. Ideally I have 100% sRGB, but I don't think I'll need more than that.

I've tried searching for monitors in NZ, think that 1440p 144Hz VA one is the best option under $500. There are 1440p 144Hz IPS panels on newegg new zealand but they're just over at $560.


i like water.

GPU Cooling Tier List | CPU Cooling Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | PSU Tier List       <<<<<<PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE BUYING

 

 

USEFUL TUTORIALS

-HOW TO BUILD A PC STEP BY STEP

-WHAT TO DO FIRST WITH A BRAND NEW BUILD

-HOW TO SEE PC UTILISATION IN GAME(ie CPU usage, GPU temps, CPU temps etc.)

-EASIEST WAY TO OVERCLOCK RAM ON RYZEN CPUs

 

CURRENT PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

RAM: 2X8 GB 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (timings tightened to 14-17-17-30 from 16-18-18-38)

Storage: 240GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus(boot), 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X TRIO

PSU: Corsair RM650x

OS: Windows 10 Home Unactivated

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White

Case Fans: 9x Corsair LL120

Cables: Cablemod C-series White ModFlex Cables

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Yeah it won't be as good for the design bit, but tbh I'd get that one because difference between 144hz and 60/75hz is much greater than difference between IPS and VA

 

Where do you live? Are these monitor choices limited by any way(ie not many monitor choices in your country) or are you just shortlisting options?

My budget is $500 (NZD, my currency as I live in New Zealand). The 1440p 75Hz monitor with AH-IPS panel is $500 and so is the 1440p 144Hz monitor with VA panel. The 4K display is actually about $90 cheaper as I found it on sale. Although I don't have as many options as in the USA (etc) I have enough that those three options are a shortlist. 

 

I might go into the store tomorrow and look at some monitors in person to see whether the difference between 4K (IPS) and 1440p (VA) or 144Hz and 60hz is more noticeable to me (as I haven't owned a monitor with a higher refresh rate than 60Hz as of now).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

I've tried searching for monitors in NZ, think that 1440p 144Hz VA one is the best option under $500. There are 1440p 144Hz IPS panels on newegg new zealand but they're just over at $560.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can't afford the $560 one I found on newegg as GST and shipping on top of that would make it more like $650(+).

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Top-Hat Meerkat said:

My budget is $500 (NZD, my currency as I live in New Zealand). The 1440p 75H monitor with AH-IPS panel is $500 and so is the 1440p 144Hz monitor with VA panel. The 4K display is actually about $90 cheaper as I found it on sale. Although I don't have as many options as in the USA (etc) I have enough that those three options are a shortlist. 

 

I might go into the store tomorrow and look at some monitors in person to see whether the difference between 4K (IPS) and 1440p (VA) or 144Hz and 60hz is more noticeable to me (as I haven't owned a monitor with a higher refresh rate than 60Hz as of now).

Good idea, some people notice the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz less than others. Good luck on finding your monitor


i like water.

GPU Cooling Tier List | CPU Cooling Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | PSU Tier List       <<<<<<PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE BUYING

 

 

USEFUL TUTORIALS

-HOW TO BUILD A PC STEP BY STEP

-WHAT TO DO FIRST WITH A BRAND NEW BUILD

-HOW TO SEE PC UTILISATION IN GAME(ie CPU usage, GPU temps, CPU temps etc.)

-EASIEST WAY TO OVERCLOCK RAM ON RYZEN CPUs

 

CURRENT PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

RAM: 2X8 GB 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB (timings tightened to 14-17-17-30 from 16-18-18-38)

Storage: 240GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus(boot), 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X TRIO

PSU: Corsair RM650x

OS: Windows 10 Home Unactivated

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White

Case Fans: 9x Corsair LL120

Cables: Cablemod C-series White ModFlex Cables

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Top-Hat Meerkat said:

My budget is $500 (NZD, my currency as I live in New Zealand). The 1440p 75H monitor with AH-IPS panel is $500 and so is the 1440p 144Hz monitor with VA panel. The

I'm seeing 2 options, both IPS, the acer one is a brand new panel I think, with the 1ms IPS technology

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/DjH8TW/viewsonic-vx2758-2kp-mhd-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vx2758-2kp-mhd

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/b8VD4D/acer-vg271u-pbmiipx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vg271u-pbmiipx

Or just get a used 4k monitor, or a 4k TV even at 40" or more.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I'm seeing 2 options, both IPS, the acer one is a brand new panel I think, with the 1ms IPS technology

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/DjH8TW/viewsonic-vx2758-2kp-mhd-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vx2758-2kp-mhd

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/b8VD4D/acer-vg271u-pbmiipx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vg271u-pbmiipx

Or just get a used 4k monitor, or a 4k TV even at 40" or more.

How about that... I just found those two today as well. Both are a decent price, although the Viewsonic one is cheaper. I haven't found any 'major' reviews on it, but the specs look perfect and I haven't heard of any major problems. Is buying it worth the risk?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×