Downgraded from a i5 to an i7

Xtenchen
Go to solution Solved by Vishera,

It could be the sticks themselves,it could be dead slots on the board,could be a BIOS issue,it could be a compatibility issue,and more.

There are a lot of variables at play - and a lot of possible culprits that come with them.

Soo today I bought an i7 thinking it was an upgrade but when I got home and installed it, I went to boot and I got no display, so I started taking out ram sicks one by one, and it fixed so now it only boots and works with 1 of my 4 sticks, so now I only have 4gb instead of 16gb....can I even game on on 4gb like just sitting at my desktop uses 3.6gb ram, anyone know a fix? I'm guessing it's a bios setting

Sometimes it needs to get acquainted with the new configuration, start with 8GB and see if it ever turns on (maybe takes a few restarts) and go for 16

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Might i refer to this?

aint helping. Sorry bro

i dont want ur help u already broke 3 out of my 4 ram sticks by telling me its compatibile, when it back fired and broke 12gb of my ram... now my i5 only works with one stick to..... maybe its a i7 stock bios setting that only allows one ram stick to work

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Sometimes it needs to get acquainted with the new configuration, start with 8GB and see if it ever turns on (maybe takes a few restarts) and go for 16

i tried restarting multiple times because i was panicing my pc broke. its only reading one stick in the dim 1 slot, is there a bios setting i need to change to make more then 1 stick work ? if i put in more then 1 stick i get 3 beeps, and my keyboard/mouse or even monitor doesnt turn on

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Could be dead memory channels on the CPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Vishera said:

Could be dead memory channels on the CPU.

that would make sense but i put back in my old cpu the i5 and it wouldnt work at all

Turn off PSU, discharge static electricity somewhere safe, remove CMOS battery, hold power button down for a while, let it rest, reinsert CMOS battery, try again

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

It could be the sticks themselves,it could be dead slots on the board,could be a BIOS issue,it could be a compatibility issue,and more.

There are a lot of variables at play - and a lot of possible culprits that come with them.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

ive tried turning off psu, then removing cmos battery and reinserting. but not holding power buttion.

wondering would holding power buttion even do anything? if the psu is off wouldnt there be no power going to the pc, so the pc wouldnt understand if i hold the power buttion?

Just now, Vishera said:

cant be dead sticks or mobo, it was working perfect yesterday. i just bought the cpu and installed it today so i know its not a hardware issue, i read online that i need to reset the bios when i instal new cpu

3 minutes ago, Xtenchen said:

ive tried turning off psu, then removing cmos battery and reinserting. but not holding power buttion.

wondering would holding power buttion even do anything? if the psu is off wouldnt there be no power going to the pc, so the pc wouldnt understand if i hold the power buttion?

PSU holds a charge even when off - which is why it's dangerous to open it.

I don't know scientifically if pressing the power button does indeed expend the charge, but I have heard it repeatedly as a step so I do it anyway.

You don't seem to have much to lose by trying. 

Just now, Plutosaurus said:

PSU holds a charge even when off - which is why it's dangerous to open it.

I don't know scientifically if pressing the power button does indeed expend the charge, but I have heard it repeatedly as a step so I do it anyway.

You don't seem to have much to lose by trying. 

Yes it releases the charge but you cant be sure that it releases everything. Depends on mobo/psu topology. Therefore its recommended to do so but not 100% save 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Clear cmos.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just now, asand1 said:

Clear cmos.

do i do that by takeing out the battery for 30 secs? or do i have to boot with the battery out?

2 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Turn off PSU, discharge static electricity somewhere safe, remove CMOS battery, hold power button down for a while, let it rest, reinsert CMOS battery, try again

I tried this and now I get no display... I'm just Gunna wait a week for my Christmas bonus and buy a new mobo, psu and ram :(

Is it prebuild system?? 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

13 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Is it prebuild system?? 

No it's a custom build with i7, 16gb ram, Gtx 950,and Corsir cx 430 psu

Ahhh ok than. I’ve asked only cos I heard somewhere that on some prebuild if you swap cpu there may be some compatibility problems.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Now it's working but with one ram stick out and no GPU in... Soo no more gaming :(

3 minutes ago, Xtenchen said:

Now it's working but with one ram stick out and no GPU in... Soo no more gaming

What happens if you add one more ram stick?

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

6 hours ago, Xtenchen said:

Now it's working but with one ram stick out and no GPU in... Soo no more gaming :(

Sounds like the motherboard is the problem,before running to buy new RAM and GPU try buying just a motherboard.

10 hours ago, Xtenchen said:

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

Sounds like the motherboard is the problem,before running to buy new RAM and GPU try buying just a motherboard.

At least try updating the BIOS for that board.

Also make sure the underside of the CPU is nice and clean. Don't touch the pins in the socket though.

I've had a CPU that i bought as faulty because a memory channel was dead, turns out there was just some dirt on the pads which stopped the pins contacting properly, which happened to be something to do with the memory.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:40 AM, Vishera said:

I got another mobo and same problem