Machine learning PC/laptop

Hello , 

I'm first college student who just realized I have to do Machine Learning as a minor(being the only interesting choice) . Knowing I would have to spent a lot of money on a build or a laptop setup I was wondering if you could help with my choice. It goes without saying that student life means I don't have huge budget. 

What would you suggest me doing.

1) Buying a gaming laptop that would be inconvenient to carry around.

2) Building a desktop PC which will be impossible to carry around.

3) Building a laptop setup with an external GPU

P.S. For ML is it better to buy components oriented towards the workingstation space(old Quadros and Xeons) or should I stick with the consumer parts.

You can get powerful 'gaming' or workstation laptops that aren't that large or inconvenient.

They're just more expensive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would get a desktop with a lot of cores.

Don't buy a gaming laptop...well, ever. The battery life is shit and if you're gonna have it plugged in all the time just get a desktop. Even if you're travelling often a SFF PC could work as well if not better.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

How do you train?

Do you need GPU power?
OpenCL/Cuda 

Or are you doing it on the CPU?
Consumer components are fine. Especially with Ryzen and whizz 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Your best bet is to keep an eye on second-hand stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, etc.) for a decent desktop, after doing a bit of research to see where about you should consider. All the stuff in those stores are priced arbitrarily, based on whatever someone feels its worth, and that could vary person to person. I've seen decent builds for under $150USD, and mice/keyboards for under $5USD all day. 720p to 1080p monitors for $10-$25USD. When I built one of my first PCs (AM3+ socket), I was able to buy an AM3 CPU for 10 bucks so I could update my BIOS.

And Craigslist, some would swear by, could have good deals on decent hardware that you could end up upgrading at a later point.

Depending on what sort of machine learning, though, will determine what advice and parts you will be advised to keep any eye out for.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

why not use the cloud?

look here, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/services/machine-learning/

this is the pricing, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/pricing/details/machine-learning/

since its a course for school. i wouldnt invest in hardware that is not going to be used after the course.

its cents to a few dollars per hour to rent, be much more expensive to buy

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

Well i use Google cloud for compute sometimes. Also a solid solution.

But meh... depending on how much OP wants to do a own rig might be better. As I understand he is a stundend and therefor a own box tho learn on makes more sene i think

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂