Suggestions for workstation build

Hey all,  I need suggestions for a workstation build for my research lab.  We do FEA/CFD simulations, mainly running ANSYS and Abaqus.  However we do have DNS codes that we solve on HPC clusters on campus (those need lots of cores and lots of GPUs).  I am being tasked to price out a workstation build ($2k - $3k) and I am thinking about going bold and asking for the Threadripper 3970X (what the hell kinda cooler do I use??).   It will be used for the CFD/FEA solutions where high core count is good but overall clockspeed is better.  We have a couple of older servers that are reaching the end of their lives (one with 4x Xeon E74870 and one with 4x X7560) and at this point my desktop with a ryzen 2700X solves the CFD problems in the same time-frame.   I may put a weaker Quadro card on it but at least I know ANSYS can only utilize a TESLA card which probably is not in the budget, so graphics card is not that important. I am not an Intel fanboy and like the cost savings of the new AMD CPUs but I am curious what everyone recommends.

tela cards will be 3x your budget. if you can afford 3970x its a good choice with the cores.

however 3970x retails for 2k on its own. TRX40 motherboard will be 600-800 depending on board.

expect to be in the range of 4k-5 if you go that route.

something like?

assuming you need storage for your research

• 2 years later...

Hello, according to your text, I realized that you are a professional person in ABAQUS software, I also wanted to start working in this field with this software, do you think the  https://caeassistant.com/  website packages are suitable for learning?
Thank you for your help 🙂

• 1 month later...

I'm familiar with the https://caeassistant.com/ website and read some of its blog and that was helpful. I asked around about its tutorial packages and got a good review.