Intel Core i5-10600 spotted in MSI board company

Flying Sausages

https://www.compspice.com/intel-core-i5-10600-spotted-in-msi-board-company/

The release of new CPUs is just around the corner, which is confirmed by recent entries in the online 3DMark test suite database. They are dedicated to the 6-core Core i5-10600 chip, which worked in tandem with the MSI motherboard based on Intel Z490 logic.

According to 3DMark, the Intel Core i5-10600 processor operates with six cores with support for Hyper-Threading. The nominal frequency of this “stone” was 3.3 GHz, and in Turbo Boost mode it accelerated up to 4.7 GHz

As regards the results of the Core i5-10600 in the 3DMark 11 Extreme test, they are quite expected to correspond to the Core i7-8700 processor: 12.7 thousand “Parrots” Physics Score versus ~ 13 thousand points

So the 10th gen i5 with hyperthreading performs close to the 8th gen i7 8700. For the cost of a new chipset board and socket, I expect the i5 with 12 threads to be better but in reality it performs close to the 8th gen i7! 

There were already signs that with hardware mitigations added to the 10th gen (and the fact that they're so stuck on 14nm it hurts) that the chips are hardly even an improvement.  I think it was also some leaks about how the mobile 10th gen is almost no better, and the high-end 10th gen can't really top the 9900KS.  Makes sense then that they'd start tacking on features they held back on before like hyperthreading for the i5 line just to try to differentiate an already crowded stack of refreshed 14nm Skylake-based design.

I mean lets be honest here, whoever bought an i7 8700K made a terrific purchase.

Chip that came in 2017 is still pretty much the best hexa core in the market even with the R5 3600X out and apparently Intel is unable to beat it either yet.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I mean lets be honest here, whoever bought an i7 8700K made a terrific purchase.

Chip that came in 2017 is still pretty much the best hexa core in the market even with the R5 3600X out and apparently Intel is unable to beat it either yet.

Got mine for a steal. $200 through Intel's Retail Edge after shipping shortly after it launched. It does 5.2ghz on a custom loop with a naked die at 1.4v and runs well on any game I've played. I contemplated upgrading to a 9900K, but honestly I don't really need the extra cores, especially not at a potential cost in clock speeds if I don't get as lucky as this chip.

If the Core i5 10600 performs even remotely as good as the 8700k at a lower cost, it will still be a hot seller.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yeah...unless they sale the 10600 for like $200...I don't see why anyone would think it's a great deal if a new mobo is required.  That said my lame self only just yesterday bought a 8700k...found an open box for $300...already had a z370m...no brainer.  As a gamer and web-surfer...think the 8700k is the cat's pajamas.  Not poo-pooing on 9th gen...neat stuff but too much money...not enough performance advantage.  Still if 9th gen was priced the same as 8th gen... :)

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Got mine for a steal. $200 through Intel's Retail Edge after shipping shortly after it launched. It does 5.2ghz on a custom loop with a naked die at 1.4v and runs well on any game I've played. I contemplated upgrading to a 9900K, but honestly I don't really need the extra cores, especially not at a potential cost in clock speeds if I don't get as lucky as this chip.

If the Core i5 10600 performs even remotely as good as the 8700k at a lower cost, it will still be a hot seller.

U bought a 8700k for $200?  I just paid $300 :(

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

I don't see why anyone would think it's a great deal if a new mobo is required.

People build new rigs. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

People build new rigs. 

True...bet they will have some bold new graphics on a shiny board...pitching some new technology that no vendor will ever make hardware for ;)

12 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I still have 5820K which is basically the same thing. The IPC thing is debatable and it has 200MHz higher clock than mine in OC state. It's nic ethat R5 2600 and 3600 series kicked Intel around to finally step up the game.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I still have 5820K which is basically the same thing. The IPC thing is debatable and it has 200MHz higher clock than mine in OC state. It's nic ethat R5 2600 and 3600 series kicked Intel around to finally step up the game.

Yeah I wish I had no pc when the 3600/3600x came out...I'd have all that money to do a proper ALL AMD build...then intel/invidia can go jump off a cliff...and I'd throw a kegger afterwards!

Just now, Stu_Bear said:

True...bet they will have some bold new graphics on a shiny board...pitching some new technology that no vendor will ever make hardware for ;)

What? It's a motherboard... they're standard ATX... they fit in standard cases... socket sizes are standard and this is likely still on LGA1151 so no need to even get new brackets... what's the new tech they're pushing that nobody else makes hardware for? Isn't it confirmed that this is still on PCIe 3.0 and everything too? DDR4 as well, it's all standard. 

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

No. 5820K is on par with R5 2600 single core, a little bit snappier if well tuned, due to ringbus arch. It's faster overall because it clocks higher, but it cannot clock high enough to match or beat an 8700K unless you have a seriously good bin and are fine with running very very high voltages.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

46 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I'd like to say that the finest of the 14mm is actually the 7700K, too bad it was a 4 cores

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

41 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Yeah. Intel does this thing a couple times a year that if you work for a retail store, or a corporate office for a retail chain, you can buy processors and other cool gadgets for a heavily discounted price after doing some training exercises. Gotta say, best processor that I've had, especially for the price.

53 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

What? It's a motherboard... they're standard ATX... they fit in standard cases... socket sizes are standard and this is likely still on LGA1151 so no need to even get new brackets... what's the new tech they're pushing that nobody else makes hardware for? Isn't it confirmed that this is still on PCIe 3.0 and everything too? DDR4 as well, it's all standard. 

No. 5820K is on par with R5 2600 single core, a little bit snappier if well tuned, due to ringbus arch. It's faster overall because it clocks higher, but it cannot clock high enough to match or beat an 8700K unless you have a seriously good bin and are fine with running very very high voltages.

8700K is better just because of higher clocks. People keep on lapping about "IPC" improvements, but the reality is, IPC hasn't changed for years in Intel's camp, all the per core gains they make are clock based. 8700K is faster per core because it turbos to 4.7GHz or is all core overclocked to that or more. And because of cache sizes or tweaks in that department. IPC frankly isn't one of them. If my 5820K could clock to 4.7GHz it would be pretty much the same thing.

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

I am very happy with the 8700K. The only reason why I'd upgrade next year is just to have the latest and greatest.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

37 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

8700K is better just because of higher clocks. People keep on lapping about "IPC" improvements, but the reality is, IPC hasn't changed for years in Intel's camp, all the per core gains they make are clock based. 8700K is faster per core because it turbos to 4.7GHz or is all core overclocked to that or more. And because of cache sizes or tweaks in that department. IPC frankly isn't one of them. If my 5820K could clock to 4.7GHz it would be pretty much the same thing.

There was an IPC difference between Haswell and Skylake though. This is well documented online from several sources. Not only that, but we are talking two entirely different memory subsystems that can impact gaming performance. The consumer mainstream IMC's tend to have a much lower latency than the HEDT chips which helped quite a bit in terms of minimum framerates and overall gaming experience.

A 5820k clocked at 4.7ghz would not perform as well as an 8700k clocked at 4.7ghz, that I can guarantee.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

There was an IPC difference between Haswell and Skylake though.

Definitely. Skylake through to Coffee Lake is essentially the same architecture wise. Haswell/Broadwell behaved differently. In unlimited IPC terms (that is, not bottlenecked by cache or ram) I know Prime95 is 14% faster on Skylake than Haswell. Skylake in testing is identical to Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake and Skylake-X when not using AVX-512 instructions.

Similarly for Cinebench R15, I got the following points per core per GHz, but this is subject to a very weak ram/cache influence so there can be more variation when comparing different systems:

Skylake 43.9 (56.1 with HT)

Haswell 39.3 (50.3 with HT)

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, porina said:

Definitely. Skylake through to Coffee Lake is essentially the same architecture wise. Haswell/Broadwell behaved differently. In unlimited IPC terms (that is, not bottlenecked by cache or ram) I know Prime95 is 14% faster on Skylake than Haswell. Skylake in testing is identical to Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake and Skylake-X when not using AVX-512 instructions.

Similarly for Cinebench R15, I got the following points per core per GHz, but this is subject to a very weak ram/cache influence so there can be more variation when comparing different systems:

Skylake 43.9 (56.1 with HT)

Haswell 39.3 (50.3 with HT)

My testing produced nearly identical results. I even purchased an ASUS board capable of using DDR3 to make sure what I was seeing wasn't simply gains from the DDR4 memory controller, but aside from heavy compression at higher memory bandwidth, it seemed negligible. 

4 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

Bought my 8700k for 270 shortly after the 9700k came out and I bought it at microcenter so I got an extra $30 off the motherboard. Didn't see the point in the 9700k and the 9900k seemed like it would heat my room up more than I would like. 

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

A 5820k clocked at 4.7ghz would not perform as well as an 8700k clocked at 4.7ghz, that I can guarantee.

Having owned a 5820K that could clock to 4.7GHz all core, can confirm that the 8700K was faster.

Made me a bit jealous at the time since there's a mainstream chip beating my HEDT chip. I'd need to push for roughly 5.1GHz all core to match a 8700K (assume stock clocks).

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Having owned a 5820K that could clock to 4.7GHz all core, can confirm that the 8700K was faster.

Made me a bit jealous at the time since there's a mainstream chip beating my HEDT chip. I'd need to push for roughly 5.1GHz all core to match a 8700K (assume stock clocks).

How much faster? 400-500€ faster? I very much doubt it...

14 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

How much faster? 400-500€ faster? I very much doubt it...

The context of the posts have nothing to do with money. The context was IPC and relative speed at the same clocks.

50 minutes ago, MageTank said:

The context of the posts have nothing to do with money. The context was IPC and relative speed at the same clocks.

It has everything to do with money. If that was irrelevant, EVERYONE would be rocking 1099999999KS and EPYC ROMAN EMPIRE CPU's... The sole reason I even mentioned my ancient 5820K is how little we've progressed in all these years when it comes to CPU's. And if it wasn't for AMD's recent insane core count releases, my old clunker would still be relevant for next 5 years...

6 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Maybe they chose not to beat the 8700K, focus on other things.

11 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

As always it depends on use cases. Light uses like Cinebench might show near enough ideal scaling but if you push harder loads the extra ram channels on 5820k will start showing their worth. Also PCIe lanes. We're in a similar position now with the higher AM4 CPUs being on a consumer platform...

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It has everything to do with money.

It isn't all or nothing. Money plays a part, but only one part. How big that part is depends on the buyer.

9 hours ago, amdorintel said:

Maybe they chose not to beat the 8700K, focus on other things.

For practical purposes it's close enough it doesn't really matter now that other factors become more important. If they had used better binned parts they could go further up, but those are reserved for higher models in the range.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible