New Ryzen 5 3600 4.2GHz with stock cooler

So i got the new cpu and now i booted up and its automatically at 4.2 which i didnt want and im pretty sure thats whats making the cooler go absolutely fucking bonkers. Can i tune it down to like the base clock of 3.6GHz to not have the fan going crazy (if i can then how? BIOS?)? Correct me if im wrong but i think i need a better cooler if its gonna be running at 4.2GHz.

You can turn on ECO mode. I know it is in Ryzen Master, not sure if it is in bios. That changes the PPT limit from 88W at stock, to around 60W, with a good reduction in temps. Doesn't impact performance much either.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

You can turn on ECO mode. I know it is in Ryzen Master, not sure if it is in bios. That changes the PPT limit from 88W at stock, to around 60W, with a good reduction in temps. Doesn't impact performance much either.

Thanks , ill get ryzen master i guess.

you can also just undervolt the cpu in bios. It will make it a lot cooler.
Just get VCore down in small steps until the system gets unstable. then dial it back a little. I recently build a new pc with the same processor and it was running @1.4V once i got it down it was pretty cool and a lot quieter

This processor uses something called (PBO2 precision boost overdrive 2) it boosts the core clocks depending on thermal headroom. You might even get better performance by lowering the voltage, because it has more headroom

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

This processor uses something called (PBO2 precision boost overdrive 2) it boosts the core clocks depending on thermal headroom. You might even get better performance by lowering the voltage, because it has more headroom

2 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Just get VCore down in small steps until the system gets unstable. then dial it back a little. I recently build a new pc with the same processor and it was running @1.4V once i got it down it was pretty cool and a lot quieter

Huh... interesting , yeah my cpu is also running at 1.4V atm ill see which option ill choose. Thank you

11 minutes ago, Devryd said:

How will i tell if the system is starting to get unstable?

19 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

Huh... interesting , yeah my cpu is also running at 1.4V atm ill see which option ill choose. Thank you

It shouldn't do that however (not constantly) 

Update your BIOS and chipset drivers and pray that fixes it,  otherwise you have to set a manual power plan. 

Spoiler

Note: my 3600 only goes to 4.2 sometimes under load,  I think that's another setting not sure - but my settings (other than Windows power plan) are at default.  Think it's called auto boost,  probably have to reset CMOS to activate but it should be active by default so I'm not sure why it isn't for you.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It shouldn't do that however (not constantly) 

Update your BIOS and chipset drivers and pray that fixes it,  otherwise you have to set a manual power plan. 

Reveal hidden contents

Note: my 3600 only goes to 4.2 sometimes under load,  I think that's another setting not sure - but my settings (other than Windows power plan) are at default.  Think it's called auto boost,  probably have to reset CMOS to activate but it should be active by default so I'm not sure why it isn't for you.  

well i was judging it by the peak core voltage in ryzen master , its at like 1.387 pretty much the whole time. And what does CMOS stand for? And how do i reset it? 

Now that i think about it it is pretty weird that my cpu is running at a constant 4.17GHz +- and 1.38V +- under no load whatsoever , just a couple of chrome tabs and steam...

8 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

well i was judging it by the peak core voltage in ryzen master , its at like 1.387 pretty much the whole time. And what does CMOS stand for? And how do i reset it? 

Now that i think about it it is pretty weird that my cpu is running at a constant 4.17GHz +- and 1.38V +- under no load whatsoever , just a couple of chrome tabs and steam...

Something definitely wrong with your settings.  Just reset your BIOS 

Turn off PC, unplug the power cable from wall,  press power button for 10 seconds,  remove CMOS battery (round battery on your mobo) wait *10 minutes*  plug battery back in.

That should reset your BIOS then check again. 

Yep, seems your CPU constantly boosts which is neither normal nor healthy. 

Also read the link to the reddit I posted,  it explains pretty much everything and how to fix it. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

38 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

How will i tell if the system is starting to get unstable?

You really shouldn't do any manual under or over volting right now... That isn't as easy as it sounds and you really should try fixing your settings problem first - which will make under volting unnecessary anyway - most likely that will require a BIOS and chipset driver update though. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You really shouldn't do any manual under or over volting right now... That isn't as easy as it sounds and you really should try fixing your settings problem first - which will make under volting unnecessary anyway - most likely that will require a BIOS and chipset driver update though. 

B450 A PRO MAX is the mb

Ok , but i seem to be very confused. So the chipset is the motherboards driver , correct?( https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO-MAX#down-driver&Win10 64 like in this link , under 'system and chipset drivers' )

And this is from where im supposed to get the BIOS upgrade https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO-MAX#down-bios correct?

So which of these can i install directly from the computer and which do i have to install within the BIOS because some bald guy teaching me how to update BIOS said that the BIOS update can only be done within the BIOS itself. And should i take the battery out before doing all of this like you mentioned before ?

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions but i really want this cpu working like i want it to work.

4 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

B450 A PRO MAX is the mb

Ok , but i seem to be very confused. So the chipset is the motherboards driver , correct?( https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO-MAX#down-driver&Win10 64 like in this link , under 'system and chipset drivers' )

And this is from where im supposed to get the BIOS upgrade https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO-MAX#down-bios correct?

So which of these can i install directly from the computer and which do i have to install within the BIOS because some bald guy teaching me how to update BIOS said that the BIOS update can only be done within the BIOS itself. And should i take the battery out before doing all of this like you mentioned before ?

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions but i really want this cpu working like i want it to work.

Yes, reset CMOS first  -  see if that fixes anything (just make sure the PC is completely off power while doing so - obviously) 

Then update chipset,  then BIOS (order doesn't really matter) 

Chipset is installed under Windows like any other program  

Bios is indeed installed from Bios (you'll need a USB thumbdrive) 

And yes, you get both of those files from the board manufacturer,  just make sure they're the right ones for your motherboard.  :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes, reset CMOS first  -  see if that fixes anything (just make sure the PC is completely off power while doing so - obviously) 

And yes, you get both of those files from the board manufacturer,  just make sure they're the right ones for your motherboard.  :)

Ok thank you so much , ill most likely report back in a few hours. Thanks again

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Hm, i think i did everything. Now the cpu is going at 3.7-3.8GHz idling (chrome and ryzen master open) and the voltage as shown by ryzen master is 1-1.1V

I think its fixed? Ill check into it later. Thank you very much so far.

18 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

Hm, i think i did everything. Now the cpu is going at 3.7-3.8GHz idling (chrome and ryzen master open) and the voltage as shown by ryzen master is 1-1.1V

I think its fixed? Ill check into it later. Thank you very much so far.

You're welcome. And yeap that looks good!  :)

Its still a little high but nothing concerning.  You could try closing all apps / programs like chrome, it should go even lower then but either way is fine,  it looks good,  definitely much better than before! ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Its still a little high but nothing concerning.  You could try closing all apps / programs like chrome, it should go even lower then but either way is fine,  it looks good,  definitely much better than before! ;)

Okay thank you very much thats really good to hear , big relief.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Hm.. interesting when i launch a game , for example R6S , the cpu voltage and core clock goes to approx. 1.4V and approx. 4.2GHz , might try eco mode given in ryzen master ,since i cant seem to find the ryzen balanced power plan anywhere in the power plan section , and see what happens then.

3 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

, for example R6S , the cpu voltage and core clock goes to approx. 1.4V and approx. 4.2GH

6 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

might try eco mode

Lol why tho?  If you wanted a CPU with lower frequency you could have bought a much cheaper one,  it works as intended now,   that's auto boost. 

If you lower clocks you'll probably also run into performance issues. 

So yeah while that may be interesting it's also not because it just does what it's designed to do. 

I mean I understand if you want low states during idling but during load?  There's simply no reason lol. 

Like I said then a much cheaper CPU would do the same.   

BTW Ryzen Poweplan is obsolete in latest windows version,  it doesn't give any improvements as far I know,  you can try it but performance will likely be worse.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Lol why tho?  If you wanted a CPU with lower frequency you could have bought a much cheaper one,  it works as intended now,   that's auto boost. 

If you lower clocks you'll probably also run into performance issues. 

So yeah while that may be interesting it's also not because it just does what it's designed to do. 

I mean I understand if you want low states during idling but during load?  There's simply no reason lol. 

Like I said then a much cheaper CPU would do the same.   

BTW Ryzen Poweplan is obsolete in latest windows version,  it doesn't give any improvements as far I know,  you can try it but performance will likely be worse.

True , fair point . Thank you for the info