How To Check Where Internet Speeds Begin To Throttle

nick name

So I have ATT fiber that runs rock solid during the day.  But then around 8:30 pm it begins to throttle quite a bit.  Like from gigabit to 2 ~ 6 Mb/s (though upload is up at 85 Mb/s).  When using FTP it drops down to KB/s unless I route through a bouncer my seedbox provider has setup.  Also, if I use a VPN my speed behaves closer to normal (normal as in VPN speeds with regular internet speeds).  So I'm thinking there is some point where my speed gets throttled, but not at the closest connections to my modem.  Is there a way to identify where it begins to throttle?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

ATT could know.  My memory is this kind of thing most often often happens with a shared network.  After 8:30p there’s either a ton of use on your node from other people on it sending spam or whatnot, or ATT is turning it down.  It might be interesting to note when the local ATT personnel go home.  If the problem is spammers  My guess from that number is 7:30p on the dot.  They wait an hour to make sure no one is looking then. Flood the net.  If it’s ATT doing it there may be a shift reduction at 8:30pm and they turn the net down to save money on monitoring personnel.

im an old cynical bastard though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

ATT could know.  My memory is this kind of thing most often often happens with a shared network.  After 8:30p there’s either a ton of use on your node from other people on it sending spam or whatnot, or ATT is turning it down.  It might be interesting to note when the local ATT personnel go home.  If the problem is spammers  My guess from that number is 7:30p on the dot.  They wait an hour to make sure no one is looking then. Flood the net.  If it’s ATT doing it there may be a shift reduction at 8:30pm and they turn the net down to save money on monitoring personnel.

im an old cynical bastard though.

If that was the case then I would assume running a VPN would not increase the speeds I see nor would my FTP speeds increase with the use of the bouncer (I call it a bouncer as that's what my seedbox provider calls it).  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

had to look up seedbox.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox

Seems it’s somewhere outside the ATT network.  Also means that not all of you net is being throttled.  Just some of it.  Could be it’s not a throttle at all then.  Merely that your node is overbooked by ATT, and your neighbors are all sitting around after dinner watching Netflix.  If this is true it should lighten up as they go to bed.  Does it get fast again after say 2am?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

had to look up seedbox.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox

Seems it’s somewhere outside the ATT network.  Also means that not all of you net is being throttled.  Just some of it.  Could be it’s not a throttle at all then.  Merely that your node is overbooked by ATT, and your neighbors are all sitting around after dinner watching Netflix.  If this is true it should lighten up as they go to bed.  Does it get fast again after say 2am?

The funny thing about Netflix is that fast.com was showing 200+ Mb/s speeds last night when speedtest was showing 2 ~ 6 Mb/s.  Fast.com is usually around 700 Mb/s when speedtest is 980 Mb/s. 

And I tried different servers on speedtest with similar throttled results.  There was also a moment last night when I was running speedtest and my Netflix stream turned to pixel poop so that was an interesting occurrence I hadn't seen before.