How to fix ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration?

OldManGaming
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
5 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

Ok I just tried a laptop and got the same ethernet doesnt have a valid ip configuration when using the powerline 1000.

That tells us it's not the computer :D. Have a spare cable to test with?

Do you have any extra power line adapters? Other brands? I'm going to guess if other network devices aren't affected that it's probably an issue with the adapters or connected Ethernet cables.

Help me Techie Wan Kenobi, your're my only hope!

Hey all, here is a unique issue.

This happened about 18 month ago and I reformated the problem away.  It seemed to have worked, but is not an answer now.

The desktop with this issue in connected via netgear powerline adapters(the ones you plug into the wall.

The modem/router in one from comcast in in the basement on the other end of the house, and we use powerlines to connect them, as drilling through the floor is not what we wish to do.

All was well until a few days ago when suddenly ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration.  I have tried every fix I can think of.  Reset modem/router.  Resync the powerline 1000.  reinstall the ethernet drivers.

Everything in this guide, I have tried all of these steps, which none has fixed it. 

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration-on-windows-solved/

Does anybody have any suggestions?  The pc was working fine for over a year.  The only things to change in the house, 

I bought a 65inch Samsung Smart tv, but the internet seemed fine.  Then I built a new pc in the basement that connects to the modem down there.  I have no issues building and basic virus removal, but networking is my kryptonite for sure.

Please help a geek in need out.  Thanks

Merry Christmas to all!

Have you tried a different PC to ensure its not the powerline adapters that have failed?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

22 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you tried a different PC to ensure its not the powerline adapters that have failed?

No, only the 2 pcs that are up there.  Neither are connecting via the powerline.    The only other pc I have is a massive gaming pc next to the modem.    I took one of the pcs from upstairs to the modem, so the ethernet works, but the 2 pcs up there-wait Ill try a laptop I have and let you know.

34 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ok I just tried a laptop and got the same ethernet doesnt have a valid ip configuration when using the powerline 1000.

5 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

Do you have any extra power line adapters? Other brands? I'm going to guess if other network devices aren't affected that it's probably an issue with the adapters or connected Ethernet cables.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I have tried a different ethernet cord without success.

We do have 2 other netgear  wifi extenders.  They were not apart of the 2 pack powerline 1000.  One is in the living room and one in the kitchen and both are set to wifi extender status

yHYZWPktsaAOzm0HqeGPONflVDntScxMnEiZYWZDOJJV4-aNZuTCZo7CxsvExmWpAD9QxMa1zOfFbQ3eV9CAHpQMvW4WbumdnV6HTX0vcMpZSDI5tM4SEL_ebWnifLA5GcxAqJSH00kS06mz5SSXqS6UhdxwrbZxMQOpXjn0SW8owqL9SFU8hCh3qFD-OjCE-Fh90H7NJvKqxdNH573gvi3IoVqTTJooqn_8Qet5ZMReYFLB2zNX-1FZX3eItiFtYHAL4Q4_LIKmj4xcS1_mbUF-S5sYFnyw1KGmsS757i2G55pldZbY4r8JTEHzvVgTjv20UJQggclDt2qt54JAz6HOLJavvONid6JH5UGcPdhzE4hUwCzh-xtkTZ9h02uRGVDkKC0a2P1NX9bWyi1LloREkhFjsWiMSNospo8i2nk7A_xI4_YX7yQiPHXp64iuSXlwd_6Ti6RCYItR7W_P1qd1xHbFSkuQya5HDwYod4K7bmqmGR_aXv9NYDShs6JQ65LnPF6BjZa1XfPxQn9-XpfEqZLXkDB77SL5b707NpPNiFITJ0Ovvpui7gBUL_GmWIPvRiKLAHUif9HvWL7OjAPEBZD-dcmJN_I5b6i6nv6-r-ZC9l5EwV6ma-zwlFToMixlkOKfA9mC1jG8u4ymvFvFZnV2HRynZjDXpr7tZrS61jA9PGWF-A8=w973-h1297-no

the 1st 2 lights are green.  the bottom light isnt on atm.  It used to be red(limited connection I think?) and all day yesterday it was green, even though no connection

Some electronics (like motors-fans) introduce noise into the system. It's possible there's interference on the line causing them to lose connection (or just excessive distance). You could try other outlets if other circuits in the rooms are available.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Some electronics (like motors-fans) introduce noise into the system. It's possible there's interference on the line causing them to lose connection (or just excessive distance). You could try other outlets if other circuits in the rooms are available.

sadly no other outlets are free.  both are connected to an outlet and nothing else is on them.

Today the wifi has been going out and now the pc connected to the actual modem/router had the same error.  I called comcast, I am gonna swap the box out tomorrow and see  if a new modem/router helps.  Ours is 3 years old, comcast didnt want to but a request to cancel services changed their mind into allowing us a box swap.  Ill let you know tomorrow or the day after if I resolved the issue.

I am at a complete loss otherwise

1 hour ago, OldManGaming said:

I am at a complete loss otherwise

If you're seeing this problem elsewhere on the network working your way back to the router helps determine the culprit. If the router itself is giving clients issues across the network and unplugging clients doesn't fix the issue then the cause is very likely a bum router.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're seeing this problem elsewhere on the network working your way back to the router helps determine the culprit. If the router itself is giving clients issues across the network and unplugging clients doesn't fix the issue then the cause is very likely a bum router.

I did a factory restore via the modem, then did a hard shut down and had comcast reset on their end.  The pc connected to it, wifi working, but the one pc I need connected via powerline dont connect.  Only the 1st 2 leds turn on.  the 3rd led dont turn on at all.

These are the 2 I have.  They were a pain to setup initially, then worked since August of 2018.  Now that bottom led no longer turns on either.  They are the Netgear PL1000 

Image result for powerline 1000 3rd led

3 hours ago, OldManGaming said:

I did a factory restore via the modem, then did a hard shut down and had comcast reset on their end.  The pc connected to it, wifi working, but the one pc I need connected via powerline dont connect.  Only the 1st 2 leds turn on.  the 3rd led dont turn on at all.

These are the 2 I have.  They were a pain to setup initially, then worked since August of 2018.  Now that bottom led no longer turns on either.  They are the Netgear PL1000 

Image result for powerline 1000 3rd led

Did you try to re-pair them plugged into outlets next to each other?

Checked if there is a firmware update for them?

Failing that, a factory reset might be necessary.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, OldManGaming said:

I'm going to guess from top to bottom is:

1. Power
  2. Detects an active Ethernet cable.
  3. Detects the other Powerline Adapter.

If LED 3 isn't lit then that sounds like a communication issue between the two which could mean defective hardware, a need to Factory Reset them, or something about your home wiring has changed for the worse.

Looks like either one of the powerline adapters failed or something changed in the electrical setup that precents them from communicating.

Try them in adjacent sockets, if they still can't connect then one is just dead.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Looks like either one of the powerline adapters failed or something changed in the electrical setup that precents them from communicating.

Try them in adjacent sockets, if they still can't connect then one is just dead.

I tried 2 desktops and 1 laptop, the 1st 2 leds work, the pick a plug doesnt turn on.   I bought an  EERO wifi sytem that has 3 boxes, to extend as wifi and powerline and I bought a Netgear Nighthawk A7000 wifi adapter 3.0 connection.

Ill hook up the eero on Monday, letting the wifi card stay on over the weekend to see how bad drops are.  I have came to the conclusion the Powerline 1000 from netgear died after 18 month(they were $70 I think when I bought them.  This 3 box system was 200 after taxes, so hopefully better quality for the price I paid.  Ill report back Monday if I fixed my issue

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm going to guess from top to bottom is:

1. Power
  2. Detects an active Ethernet cable.
  3. Detects the other Powerline Adapter.

If LED 3 isn't lit then that sounds like a communication issue between the two which could mean defective hardware, a need to Factory Reset them, or something about your home wiring has changed for the worse.

nothing on the home front changed, so I am thinking one of the boxes just died partially.  To verify it wasnt a issue with the desktop I tried a 2nd desktop then bought both plugs and a laptop into the same room as the modem and tried testing.  Nothing worked.  Ill report back on the eero wifi system early next week-taking the weekend off lol

Ok the issue is fixed!  The eero said setup in 10 minutes-not false advertisement.

Warning caplock coming WOW! 100% AMAZING!  The easiest setup I ever had to do for an extended wifi network.  Very easy to use app that you install on your phone.  Didnt even need to take a 2 hour phone trip to somewhere in India to ask me if my modem was plugged in!  I would 100% suggest the EERO wifi system.  It has 2 ethernet plugs on each box so you can connect up to 2 devices directly as well has providing amazing coverage,

wifi was seeing 160mbps down and 20 up.  Ethernet via the hub was reaching 200mbps and 24 mbps(the pc connected to comcast gets approx 350 mbps down and 30 up.  

So somewhere 1 or both netgear powerline extenders lost the ability to be used as a plug and play option.

Thank you everybody for taking the time to help me work this issue out.

Merry Christmas to all!

14 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you try to re-pair them plugged into outlets next to each other?

Checked if there is a firmware update for them?

Failing that, a factory reset might be necessary.

yes, they refused to pair properly.  I hit the pin to reset, but the pick a plug never turned back on.  Eeros was the brand we took a chance on and its hands down night and day difference.

Then yes one or both just broke. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2