Ryzen CPU temperature fluctuations

Hello,

I recently build a new computer, with a ryzen 7 3800x inside (on a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus motherboard). What I am noticing is massive temperature fluctuations in my CPU when idle. It goes from 32 degrees Celsius, to 50, again to 38, 54, 31, all within a matter of seconds, while just doing nothing on my desktop. I do not understand what is happening? I was thinking that I perhaps placed the thermal paste wrong or I installed the CPU cooler wrong but I have read more people with the new ryzen 7 3rd gen having issues with voltage peaks and temperature fluctuations. I have flashed my motherboard to the latest bios version and I also installed the chipset drivers from the AMD website. 

Help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Pavlos

Is your voltage fluctuating?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Are you using the stock cooler? 

Then this is normal and completely fine. Although you could try to undervolt it a bit

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Voltage is pretty much shooting up from ~1.1 to ~1.45V or something and back again, really strange, I am doing nothing on my desktop. I guess these voltage peaks are causing the temperature fluctuations. 

I am using Be quiet! Dark rock CPU cooler.

1 minute ago, Statik said:

Is your voltage fluctuating?

I'd be checking this before doing anything else.

Ryzen temperature readings are notorious for fluctuating wildly, my own chip included.  I only see fluctuations of about 5C but I've seen way worse on stock cooling.

If you're super worried about it you can try reseating the cooler and see if that helps.  I'd be more worried about temperatures during stress testing.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

The fluctuation is normal as periodically there's stuff to service in the background and it typically gets shoved into a single core. Turbo boost kicks in and thus the sharp uptick in temperature.

The only way I was able to "tame" it was to tune the voltage and clock speed. But again, it's normal so I wouldn't really sweat it.

Also for reference I was getting temperature swings between 35-45C on an AIO

Here are thing you to try:

- Use ryzen master to put your voltage to 1.3 or 1.325

- Put your core clock to its max boost clock with ryzen master

- Boot to bios and diable PBO (precision boost overdrive9 and CPB (core performance boost) and try again

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Make sure you are running the latest bios, x570 chipset drivers and the balanced amd power plan or take a look at the 1susmus power plan https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html

When the chips first got released I had that issue quite a bit.. its jyst the way the CPUs work.. a little background task can kick the processor into full power mode and up goes the temp.

Its a lot better now with the latest drivers and bios updates.