52,600$ fully loaded mac pro

27 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Scalable Xeons are available that support 2TB, it's not Apple specific.

Go here: https://www.thinkmate.com/system/hpx-xs8-24s1

That's the workstation market without the Apple tax.

I just built a 48 core/96 thread, 2TB RAM, 4TB SSD, 2x RTX 48GB Quadro monstrosity for $53k that would take enormous dumps all over Apple's top spec'd Mac Pro. Or you know, you could spend about half of that and come out to what Apple has on offer.

dang that is crazy i was looking at this and sure the case isnt nice BUT HOLY SHIT THE FUCKING PRICES ARE SO LOW

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yes, but that's not something that's going to be sat in a room beside you. Mind you that's a very niche group.

If you price out a more reasonable system from Dell, the Apple system actually comes out to be cheaper.

If you're focusing on the extreme high end model? Yes, it's stupidly expensive, because the people that need that don't need to worry as much about budget.

If you need something with 1.5TB RAM then there isn't much chance the system is going to be sitting in the same room let alone besides you.

Seems more like this is aimed at those that think more expensive Apple must mean better.

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

None of those have a 28 core Xeon option.

If you price it with similar parts, there's only about a $1,000 price jump for the Apple product, which is not bad considering it has a much more advanced case, likely better support, includes MacOS (which said individual would need if they're buying the product)...

There is a 28 core option from thinkmate, but the 28 core would be overkill for most studios unless they're rendering video, however most users that need serious power aren't going to care about some fancy custom case. A company needing 1.5TB RAM would more likely use a server with IT staff offering support,what does Apple offer to the professional for support? I would hope it's better than the experience Linus had with his iMac Pro.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If you need something with 1.5TB RAM then there isn't much chance the system is going to be sitting in the same room let alone besides you.

Seems more like this is aimed at those that think more expensive Apple must mean better.

There is a 28 core option from thinkmate, but the 28 core would be overkill for most studios unless they're rendering video, however most users that need serious power aren't going to care about some fancy custom case. A company needing 1.5TB RAM would more likely use a server with IT staff offering support,what does Apple offer to the professional for support? I would hope it's better than the experience Linus had with his iMac Pro.

More than likely it's for their rack mounted option.

Not in the ones with a single CPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

All that professionals need (whether it be a working professional or corporation) do is to justify time vs income.  If there is more work, than time in the day - and the cost will be recouped in XXX (see also, reasonable to the professional) than its just a financial justification at that point.

My work laptop is server grade hardware, expensive as crap.  Its overkill, but I also finish calculation in 9 seconds rather than 4 minutes on my previous desktop.  It likely paid for itself in the first month.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

All that professionals need (whether it be a working professional or corporation) do is to justify time vs income.  If there is more work, than time in the day - and the cost will be recouped in XXX (see also, reasonable to the professional) than its just a financial justification at that point.

My work laptop is server grade hardware, expensive as crap.  Its overkill, but I also finish calculation in 9 seconds rather than 4 minutes on my previous desktop.  It likely paid for itself in the first month.

But is there really a situation where the top-spec is necessary at a desk? 1.5 terabytes of RAM is ludicrous. Would that much RAM even be a benefit in a movie production scenario?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 hour ago, scuff gang said:

dang that is crazy i was looking at this and sure the case isnt nice BUT HOLY SHIT THE FUCKING PRICES ARE SO LOW

I think it's because of the lack of enterprise level support coming with it which really racks up the prices of stuff from Dell or HP. That said though, lacking that support is fine because Apple definitely isn't providing it either.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

12 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I think it's because of the lack of enterprise level support coming with it which really racks up the prices of stuff from Dell or HP. That said though, lacking that support is fine because Apple definitely isn't providing it either.

we all know the people at the geniuses bar are far from geniuses. it would be interesting to see if they had people who know how this system works to repair it, if apple employes cant fix an imac, good luck with this 50 some odd thousand dollar pc.

AMD blackout rig

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

i completely understand this but the price un-justified when there is MUCH cheaper alternatives than this, if 

AMD blackout rig

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Ugh. Go buy enterprise/full on business-class professional hardware and software, get back to me. It's not for individuals. I've purchased $600 6' square plastic label printers for the company I work for and that's just standard accounting office gear. 

Oh look, here's a camera body that costs within margin of error of the highest spec Mac Pro you can currently buy:
938222497_ScreenShot2019-12-12at5_03_28PM.thumb.png.ece5156cb9a659c89a388a1d5f19f0ba.png

Almost like the people who need this hardware are fine with paying that price and they pay it for reasons that mean a lot to them but absolutely nothing to the average consumer because wow maybe they aren't average consumers and a computer or camera the cost of a pretty nice car isn't meant for average people anyways. 

yes but 8k cameras are expensive in any means were talking about something here with cheaper alternatives 

AMD blackout rig

14 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

yes but 8k cameras are expensive in any means were talking about something here with cheaper alternatives 

Alternatives that no one actually buying a $52K Mac Pro would consider? People who need a Mac Pro will buy one, people who do not will not. Same as the RED cameras, if people need a 54 thousand dollar camera they buy it, if they do not then they don't. 

Consumers sitting around on forums aren't going to impact the choices of businesses with budgets so large that the price of the computer isn't even a consideration. 

Not to mention the fact that uh... not many people actually need the top spec, even the one MKBHD (only review I've seen so far tbf) was around $28K, and that had stuff he wouldn't actually use (he shoots with RED's own files, he said he'd test with the ProRes card but he doesn't actually regularly shoot in that). So a config that's useful for him will probably be much cheaper. Also I don't recall seeing him ever balk at the price, and he's "just" a YouTuber. If he decides a Mac Pro is useful he'll buy one, if it isn't then he won't. Given that he's a Mac user and this renders faster than realtime, he'll probably get one, pay thousands for it, then make thousands more with less worry because it's easier to push content on time because his workflow and time spent editing is now sliced dramatically. 

All the people reeing about the price aren't the target market or potential users. Go ree about the pricing of a Pagani, it'll be about as useful. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

50 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Not at all out of the question. Apple used to make servers, and their enterprise support was actually quite good from what I heard.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yes, but that's not something that's going to be sat in a room beside you. Mind you that's a very niche group.

If you price out a more reasonable system from Dell, the Apple system actually comes out to be cheaper.

If you're focusing on the extreme high end model? Yes, it's stupidly expensive, because the people that need that don't need to worry as much about budget.

You likely just don't understand how business works. If you're doing video work, a large portion of your income is going to be both your time and a non-physical item. Thus, you don't really have materials in your COGS, meaning you have a greater percentage of your earnings that need to be countered with tax write offs.

Very good points. I didn't even know about the dual 10gb NIC.

That statement alone shows that this product was never marketed towards you ;)

None of those have a 28 core Xeon option.

If you price it with similar parts, there's only about a $1,000 price jump for the Apple product, which is not bad considering it has a much more advanced case, likely better support, includes MacOS (which said individual would need if they're buying the product)...

Man listen, I don't feel like you need to spend a CARs worth of money on a computer little outrageous. What company in their right mind is going to spend that for their editors, not many. And what makes the wheels so special that they need to be 400 dollars.

3 minutes ago, TheWiseGuy said:

Man listen, I don't feel like you need to spend a CARs worth of money on a computer little outrageous. What company in their right mind is going to spend that for their editors, not many. And what makes the wheels so special that they need to be 400 dollars.

The average individual doesn't need to spend almost a Corvette's worth of money on a computer.

The average corporation, where going for even a ~$25k optioned Mac Pro, most definitely could find a reason to spend that cash. Whether that reason is reliability, specific options, build quality or, what's most likely going to turn into time savings, that shit can pay for itself. Especially CG companies like Pixar could very easily find a reason to blow massive sums on some of these just because it would help save time compared to what they had beforehand.

Just because most individuals, especially on a tech forum that likes to circlejerk Ryzen CPUs for no real reason, don't need a Mac Pro of any configuration doesn't mean that companies who make big money won't need 'em. That's what brings in the dough.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Especially CG companies like Pixar could very easily find a reason to blow massive sums on some of these just because it would help save time compared to what they had beforehand.

Yeah so IIRC they actually almost went bankrupt purely because of how expensive the computer they created specifically for 3D animation was, they probably don't have an issue with a measly $50K on a desktop if they need it for something. 

Also lmao imma bet hollywood peeps will buy these for editing and such, and even budget films are usually millions if not tens of millions ?. Even if they needed the max spec one, it'd still be a drop in the bucket. As pointed out before, they buy those $50K camera bodies without batting an eye too, lol. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

14 minutes ago, TheWiseGuy said:

The performance gains over what you could get on a Mac before are almost 3x. That's significant. It doesn't matter if it's what you could buy a car for. They're not in the market for a car. However something that can drastically increase productivity? Yup. Well worth a relatively small initial investment, that will help write down the years taxes. You're thinking like a consumer, when really, you should be thinking like a business. In the end they likely end up "paying" nothing for the system. Think about it. YouTubers are getting RED cameras.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yeah so IIRC they actually almost went bankrupt purely because of how expensive the computer they created specifically for 3D animation was, they probably don't have an issue with a measly $50K on a desktop if they need it for something. 

From what I remember, not even accounting for inflation, those fuckers were WAY more than what this Mac Pro costs in its highest tier. Granted, 1986 hardware is different from 2019 hardware, but still, those were massively expensive. Worth more than multiple C4 Corvettes at the time, if memory serves me right, compared to, well, the fully loaded Mac Pro, almost worth a base C7 Corvette's MSRP and the mid-range ones going for the price of a decently equipped Civic. Shit's gotten cheaper while having good muscle, too.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

From what I remember, not even accounting for inflation, those fuckers were WAY more than what this Mac Pro costs in its highest tier. Granted, 1986 hardware is different from 2019 hardware, but still, those were massively expensive. Worth more than multiple C4 Corvettes at the time, if memory serves me right, compared to, well, the fully loaded Mac Pro, almost worth a base C7 Corvette's MSRP and the mid-range ones going for the price of a decently equipped Civic. Shit's gotten cheaper while having good muscle, too.

Slightly more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixar_Image_Computer

1166758762_ScreenShot2019-12-12at8_08_07PM.thumb.png.8672fb99d451564f4319c3ce3b00726d.png

Cool $390K in last year's dollars, by comparison the Mac Pro is a fuckin steal. 

Main PC 

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

But is there really a situation where the top-spec is necessary at a desk? 1.5 terabytes of RAM is ludicrous. Would that much RAM even be a benefit in a movie production scenario?

Yes, I assume for those who know what to do to run that hardware to make $$$.  I believe ludicrous if you didn't know how to utilize it, sure - that would be me and many others.  Its hard enough to get 128gb of ram stable on Threadripper, Im sure its even more expensive because they can make 1.5 terabytes work as well.

1 hour ago, scuff gang said:

i completely understand this but the price un-justified when there is MUCH cheaper alternatives than this, if 

Cheaper, or best.  Im not rich, I couldn't afford this nor could I utilize this - but in the end $50k isn't that much money in business.  And in large corporations its literally a drop in the bucket. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, SenKa said:

Not at all out of the question. Apple used to make servers, and their enterprise support was actually quite good from what I heard.

yes but will theyre be enterprise support for a mac pro, i can understand server ware

AMD blackout rig

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Yes, I assume for those who know what to do to run that hardware to make $$$.  I believe ludicrous if you didn't know how to utilize it, sure - that would be me and many others.  Its hard enough to get 128gb of ram stable on Threadripper, Im sure its even more expensive because they can make 1.5 terabytes work as well.

Cheaper, or best.  Im not rich, I couldn't afford this nor could I utilize this - but in the end $50k isn't that much money in business.  And in large corporations its literally a drop in the bucket. 

I do architectural building modeling work and have for the better part of twenty years, even working with a fully-modeled hospital with mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment doesn't require 32gb of system memory. I'd be interested to see the project a person would work on at a single workstation that required almost 50 times that much RAM; Being 100% serious here. Those high-end Xeon platforms make sense in a server because you might have 20 virtual machines, or gigantic computations being done, but people don't do that on a machine they sit in front of.

$50k is a lot for most businesses when you're talking the equipment for one single employee. A company like Chevron or PIXAR can justify this, but most industries have no justification for that type of expense per person. My office couldn't justify anything near this, and we leverage computing power all day every day, on multi-million-dollar projects. In my mind these are an answer to a problem that basically doesn't exist, and are essentially a technological dong-measuring contest.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Companies like Pixar actually use multiple server banks to render their animations; Modern cinema-grade computer graphics are sophisticated and detailed enough that a single shot would take forever for a single computer to render otherwise.

4 hours ago, scuff gang said:

if you mean normal form factor boards you cant find one that will hold 1.5 terrabytes. but you can find server boards that will. i see why they would charge that much but who really needs 1.5 terrabytes of ram in the firstplace unless you were doing extreme computational multi- threaded work loads such as developing ai i could see the use 

I don't know about 1.5 TB of ram, but for video editing the video is stored in ram for smoother playback. If you're editing raw footage, especially at 4k... (well technically resolution doesn't matter, just bitrate) that shit adds up pretty quick. I went out to take photos with a buddy and we took like 40 gb of photos. Guess how many pictures we took? ...I'd need to get the actual number, but safely under 100.

On this particular point, I'd agree, it's not for personal use, it's a professional thing, but outside of video production... Well... I guess you could use the ram with CPU rendering, but that would be an absolutely fucking massive scene to take 1.5tb, and generally you want more CPU cores. So... yeah, I'm not actually sure where else that would come in handy.

4 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'm sure you can find some media-related tools that can make use of it and are only available on macOS.

Put another way, if you absolutely need macOS (for whatever reason) and you need the most powerful machine you can get, you've essentially got no other choice. A hackintosh simply isn't an alternative in a professional environment, ever. (a) legal concerns, and (b) reliability concerns. If you need the machine to make you money, you can't spend a week fixing it when an update breaks compatibility with your hardware.

Not really. There's Logic Pro for music production, but you don't need this monstrosity to run it. There's Final Cut for video, but anyone doing serious edits is going to be using Premiere, which people are jumping ship on towards Davinci Resolve, both of which are available on PC. Thinking of animation software, it's all available on PC, and I'm pretty sure Pixar and the like have been using PC for it for a very long time. I don't think there's any Apple only product that requires these kinds of stats.

4 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the claim of it being overpriced.  Certainly this is an exorbitant amount for the hardware contained at face value.  You're paying for way more than the hardware that you get.  That doesn't make it a reasonable buy.  But they have their reasons for how they price their products.  Luckily as a consumer you are not obligated in any way to buy their products, ever.

A large portion of that price GUARANTEED is going directly into the CNC machining of the aluminum blocks that turn into the body. I guess it looks nice, but no one's throwing this thing around, and if they were aluminum is too soft a material.

#Muricaparrotgang

apple always had a luxury tax, for that apple logo and the entitled feeling its buyers feel.

all the hardware in the mac is no different than a regular pc except its in a walled garden and locked ecosystem. i personally dont think there software is worth thousands of dollars. but doesnt matter what i think apple will have fan boys that will buy their products no matter the extra "apple luxury tax".

if you dont want to pay the price dont, apple will push its customers as far as it can to increase its margins. people laugh at 1000 dollar stand, but guarantee you will see many of those in media studios as they will pay anything.

2 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

apple always had a luxury tax, for that apple logo and the entitled feeling its buyers feel.

Aight, so numbers from a friend, the $20K one "with 28C, 192GB of RAM, a single GPU, an 4TB of storageis the most common config for people actually buying these. 

Here's a comparable workstation from a different SI:

unknown.thumb.png.180814ee10330dd0cee56f085d93c6a5.png

Main PC 

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Alternatives that no one actually buying a $52K Mac Pro would consider? People who need a Mac Pro will buy one, people who do not will not. Same as the RED cameras, if people need a 54 thousand dollar camera they buy it, if they do not then they don't. 

Not to mention the fact that uh... not many people actually need the top spec, even the one MKBHD (only review I've seen so far tbf) was around $28K, and that had stuff he wouldn't actually use (he shoots with RED's own files, he said he'd test with the ProRes card but he doesn't actually regularly shoot in that). So a config that's useful for him will probably be much cheaper. Also I don't recall seeing him ever balk at the price, and he's "just" a YouTuber. If he decides a Mac Pro is useful he'll buy one, if it isn't then he won't. Given that he's a Mac user and this renders faster than realtime, he'll probably get one, pay thousands for it, then make thousands more with less worry because it's easier to push content on time because his workflow and time spent editing is now sliced dramatically. 

All the people reeing about the price aren't the target market or potential users. Go ree about the pricing of a Pagani, it'll be about as useful. 

Except they don't have to buy a Red camera.

Didn't he also just buy the Cybertruck because he went to the launch event? Seems like a good person to get financial advice from.

Pagani is also essentially a Boutique car shop, they only sell a few cars, and I think they're about on par with the competitors. I haven't exactly checked because I'm not in the market for one.

1 hour ago, TheWiseGuy said:

And what makes the wheels so special that they need to be 400 dollars.

CNC machining cost. Also why the stand is $1000.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Especially CG companies like Pixar could very easily find a reason to blow massive sums on some of these just because it would help save time compared to what they had beforehand.

Trust me, Pixar already has PC's capable of doing their job. Disney used a server with 17,000 CPU cores to render Big Hero 6. Most of the desktops,while granted are high end, aren't server level because they don't need to be.

#Muricaparrotgang