Overclock or no?

Mando772004

So i recently bought a 144hz monitor and its great but my pc doesnt manage to pull 144fps on all games due to my cpu bottleneck. i use a ZOTAC AMP gtx 1660 ti with a ryzen 5 2400g with 16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz (idk if its dual channel or not i only have 2 ram slots and my ram sticks are in there so i dont know if that counts as a dual channel or not) so what can u guys recommend other than buying new cpu? is overclocking a good option or what?

Thanks In Advance

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

So i recently bought a 144hz monitor and its great but my pc doesnt manage to pull 144fps on all games due to my cpu bottleneck. i use a ZOTAC AMP gtx 1660 ti with a ryzen 5 2400g with 16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz (idk if its dual channel or not i only have 2 ram slots and my ram sticks are in there so i dont know if that counts as a dual channel or not) so what can u guys recommend other than buying new cpu? is overclocking a good option or what?

Thanks In Advance

depends on the game. in some games you might be limited by the gpu as well, not just cpu. 

i would first see if you're running your ram at 3000 or at the default 2133. that should make a significant difference

I wouldn't say it's super bottlenecked but your CPU is just kinda weak with only 4 cores. It also depends on the game. You can't just get 144 in every game because you have a good graphics card, etc. The 2400g can easily do csgo at 144 but definitely other games like gtav.

You could just get a 2600 or 2600x for cheap and put it in the board you have right now and that will help.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, boggy77 said:

depends on the game. in some games you might be limited by the gpu as well, not just cpu. 

i would first see if you're running your ram at 3000 or at the default 2133. that should make a significant difference

im running on 3000 i checked the bios before and i also ran a cmd command that told me i was running at 3000mhz ( i dont remember the command) my main concern is rainbow six siege i used msi afterburner and my cpu usage is almost all the time higher than my gpu usage. @boggy77

1 minute ago, mxk said:

I wouldn't say it's super bottlenecked but your CPU is just kinda weak with only 4 cores. It also depends on the game. You can't just get 144 in every game because you have a good graphics card, etc. The 2400g can easily do csgo at 144 but definitely other games like gtav.

You could just get a 2600 or 2600x for cheap and put it in the board you have right now and that will help.

yes i know but im saying that im supposed to get higher than 144 i checked benchmarks on the same gpu just a different cpu and it always runs on higher than 144 same goes for fortnite.

3 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

Thanks In Advance

Even if it’s possible I don’t think an overclock would be enough.  That’s just one not very powerful CPU.  Also you appear to have 2 GPUs.  The 2400G is an apu so it has a gpu in it.  Is your monitor plugged into the GPU card or into the motherboard panel?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@boggy77 @mxk the fact that my gpu pulls off 300 fps on fortnite for my friend with ryzen 5 3600 and mine pulls 110 to 200 and it drops less than 144 sometimes makes me sure that my cpu is the problem

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Even if it’s possible I don’t think an overclock would be enough.  That’s just one not very powerful CPU.  Also you appear to have 2 GPUs.  The 2400G is an apu so it has a gpu in it.  Is your monitor plugged into the GPU card or into the motherboard panel?

i was going to ask the exactly same thing. make sure you have the monitor plugged in to the 1660 ti

Just now, Bombastinator said:

im certain that my gpu is connected to my 144 monitor. @Bombastinator

Then your cpu is the weak point.  Traditionally one doesn’t get a lot of actual performance from an overclock on newer stuff.  You might gain 10-15fps total.  If this is enough it might be worth trying, but the probability is a bigger CPU will be needed to get what you want.  A bigger gpu will also draw more power so what motherboard you have becomes important.  3000mhz memory is very fast for 2400g.  It becomes less fast as newer CPUs are implemented.  Even though the 2400g is sold it’s internals are quite old.

Edited by Bombastinator
Various bad typos

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, gloop said:

As others have said, the 2600 will probably fix your problems. It’s gone down a good bit in price and is s good bang for the buck budget CPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jLF48d/amd-ryzen-5-2600-34ghz-6-core-processor-yd2600bbafbox

are you sure that the 2600 is gonna fix my problems? i feel like it will still bottleneck my gpu

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

are you sure that the 2600 is gonna fix my problems? i feel like it will still bottleneck my gpu

Most $700ish builds combine a 2600/3600 and a 1660ti. TechSource a while back did a 2600 and a RTX 2070 build and it preformed with no bottlenecking whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

well if you have the money to spend and already have a decent motherboard, go for a 3600 instead and that will really solve all your problems

8 minutes ago, gloop said:

Most $700ish builds combine a 2600/3600 and a 1660ti. TechSource a while back did a 2600 and a RTX 2070 build and it preformed with no bottlenecking whatsoever.

The really important bit is what motherboard you have and what CPU your board can even handle.

20 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

well if you have the money to spend and already have a decent motherboard, go for a 3600 instead and that will really solve all your problems

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The really important bit is what motherboard you have and what CPU your board can even handle.

i use a gigabyte gaming b450m

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

should work with 3600, nothing more powerful than that

It’s got what looks like 8+4 VRM anyway.  I don’t know if “nothing more powerful” is accurate.  It should handle a3600 just fine though.  Maybe even overclock it a bit though VRM temps would have to be watched.

1 hour ago, InfernalClaw said:

i use a gigabyte gaming b450m

You can handle a bigger cpu just fine then.  A 2600 or a 3600 would both be fine.

44 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You can handle a bigger cpu just fine then.  A 2600 or a 3600 would both be fine.

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s got what looks like 8+4 VRM anyway.  I don’t know if “nothing more powerful” is accurate.  It should handle a3600 just fine though.  Maybe even overclock it a bit though VRM temps would have to be watched.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

should work with 3600, nothing more powerful than that

Alright thanks i think ill buy it soon. i may sell my old 1050 ti and my 2400g and add some more money and buy the 3600

3 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

Alright thanks i think ill buy it soon. i may sell my old 1050 ti and my 2400g and add some more money and buy the 3600

you'll still need a gpu as well