Virtual memory issue

Generalcap
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

The instructions in that video are frankly dangerously wrong.

Changing optimisation to Background Services over Programs will tell Windows to prioritise background tasks over running applications. This is something that should only be done on a server where most functions will be running as services. For a home use machine this change will make every application run like shit.

The creator of that video obviously has no idea what any of the changes he is making actually do and doesn't seem to understand that Virtual Memory (or a Page File) is not intended to replace RAM in games which are low on memory as its many many times slower than real RAM and if anything is likely to cause more issues than it would ever fix. A Page File will help Word if its low on RAM, GTA V though, its not going to help.

I was linked this to try and optimize gta since I kept getting random fps drops but it was playable not a big deal, and the video told me to change virtual memory which I did and after it did the exact opposite the game is now unplayable stuttering non-stop. Im wondering if anyone experienced this or has a solution. I tried to disable the virtual memory back but it still happens not sure if Im not doing it correctly or something else got messed up.  

The link i was sent:

https://youtu.be/0Dj1IPd-i0Q

The instructions in that video are frankly dangerously wrong.

Changing optimisation to Background Services over Programs will tell Windows to prioritise background tasks over running applications. This is something that should only be done on a server where most functions will be running as services. For a home use machine this change will make every application run like shit.

The creator of that video obviously has no idea what any of the changes he is making actually do and doesn't seem to understand that Virtual Memory (or a Page File) is not intended to replace RAM in games which are low on memory as its many many times slower than real RAM and if anything is likely to cause more issues than it would ever fix. A Page File will help Word if its low on RAM, GTA V though, its not going to help.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

image.png.ff3d53588db064e2de183915f44dbd61.png

image.png.d0755aa8ff8bac90c2d8a817b987a1f9.png

System configuration -> Boot tab - Advanced settings - should look like this.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Sorry missed the link. this is the solution (sorry for DK windows):

image.png.87dbc5e3e26fabcf521186fce8816992.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Thank you both, I should stop listening to people on youtube. the funny thing is i have 16 Gb but I guess GTA probably isn’t optimized. 

6 hours ago, Generalcap said:

Thank you both, I should stop listening to people on youtube. the funny thing is i have 16 Gb but I guess GTA probably isn’t optimized. 

It's not that it's not optimized, but designed to run on computers built in 2012 or so.

Also disabling the page file (which is what people call virtual memory for some reason) is almost never a good idea.