Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NickHeavy

$900 Ryzen Gaming Build Guide

Just now, GoldenLag said:

for building the build this tutorial is fine. 

when it comes to part selection i suggest creating your own thread with budget + location + usecase. 

tag me if you want, tho im not super avavible. 

Will do once I have a better idea of what kind of budget I'm playing with :) 

The rx 5700 would have felt more belonged in this build imho

Pumas.EXE has stopped responding...

• CPU
    RYZEN 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    ASROCK B450 PRO 4
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • GPU
    PowerColor RX 5700
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 275r
  • Storage
    intel 660p 512 GB
  • PSU
    PowerSpec PS650BSM
43 minutes ago, Pumas_committed_bottleneck said:

The rx 5700 would have felt more belonged in this build imho

welcome to the discussion already had on page 1, others and myself posted about this

15 hours ago, ageekhere said:

One thing to add, windows will by default use a mbr partition when installing windows if there is no partition on the drive. If you want to use the new uefi bios you need to format the OS drive to a gpt partition before installing windows onto it.

The Windows install does not give you an option to choose either an mbr or gpt partition.

You can use a linux boot usb to boot in an create the gpt partition.

A whole video could be made on this topic.

Also remember to set xmp ram profile in bios

I thought if you wanted to use an M.2 SSD you have to use UEFI booting for Windows, though.

4 hours ago, SolidSonicTH said:

I thought if you wanted to use an M.2 SSD you have to use UEFI booting for Windows, though.

if you use a mbr partition (which is default in the windows install) the BIOS mode in windows will be legacy. You can check this in System information under BIOS Mode.

UEFI does support the mbr partition so even though you are booting with UEFI windows/os will be in legacy mode.

After you realised this mistake you basically have to reformat again (or try and change the partition to gpt).

Yeah, I know MBR is supported via UEFI since it does legacy emulation.

I guess I’ve just gotten too comfy doing UEFI booting. Although if you’re just booting a 1TB device it won’t really influence that anyway since you can declare secondary devices as GPT within the OS should they go beyond 2TB.

43 minutes ago, ageekhere said:

It is better for windows to not run in BIOS legacy mode

UEFI may be a little faster, but you make it sound like Windows will do something bad in legacy mode.  Praytell, what bad thing will windows do if you run Legacy bios mode and your boot SSD is 500GB or less?

6 hours ago, SolidSonicTH said:

splurge and buy a modular PSU.

yeah i am sure there is a modular psu for the same price range.

that is just a comparable pc for the same $900usd

9 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

UEFI may be a little faster, but you make it sound like Windows will do something bad in legacy mode.  Praytell, what bad thing will windows do if you run Legacy bios mode and your boot SSD is 500GB or less?

Here is a video that i found that lists some of the issues with using a legacy BIOS  

Wouldn't get a non super anything at this point myself unless it was on a great deal.  I got my 2070 FE when the supers launched for an amazing deal, otherwise I would have either gotten the 2060/2070 S version.

Unfortunately a lot of places dont make it worth your while to get the non super, so its going to sit on their shelves until they drop the price appropriately

Home: 9900k / NH-D15 / z390 Aorus master / 32 gb Corsair vengeance 3000mHz LPX / RTX 2080 ti / Fractal Define R6

Work: 2700x / DR4 / b450 Asrock ITX mobo / 32 gb Corsair vengeance 3000mHz LPX / RTX 2080 ti / inWin A1 plus

24 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

is the S mean Super?

Yes that's what I meant, im not sure if it is an official denotation though :) 

Home: 9900k / NH-D15 / z390 Aorus master / 32 gb Corsair vengeance 3000mHz LPX / RTX 2080 ti / Fractal Define R6

Work: 2700x / DR4 / b450 Asrock ITX mobo / 32 gb Corsair vengeance 3000mHz LPX / RTX 2080 ti / inWin A1 plus

Im completely new to building PCs, and could use some advice. This seems very close to what i want to build, but I'd like a different RAM and Graphics card for sure, maybe a different power supply? 

My question is, with this CPU and motherboard, could I use a Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 16GB for RAM, and Nvidia GTX 1660 Super for Graphics? And if this isnt a good PSU, what should i look for instead? 

3 hours ago, Gay_fae said:

Im completely new to building PCs, and could use some advice. This seems very close to what i want to build, but I'd like a different RAM and Graphics card for sure, maybe a different power supply? 

My question is, with this CPU and motherboard, could I use a Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 16GB for RAM, and Nvidia GTX 1660 Super for Graphics? And if this isnt a good PSU, what should i look for instead? 

You could absolutely swap out the RAM and Graphics Card, as well as the PSU. Honestly, the suggested build is pretty solid, however as a few people have alluded too, the RX 5700 might be a better fit as far as graphics go.

I have this same board with the same CPU and have 16gb of ddr4 3000, I am planning on upgrading my RAM to 3600mhz but MSI's website is unclear on if its compatible, does anyone know if it will be compatible? I'm planning on getting 16gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 3600.

Hi Everyone,

I like this build & considering  it as a home gaming/personal set up. I don't need any peripherals and it's been a long time since I've done my own build. Wondering which parts would be good upgrade consdierations (aside from the GPU that's already been called out) around the same budget.

I.e. Are there better options within the same general budget (I'd be willing to spend another $100 USD) for parts?