Intel Core i9-10900K 10-core Processor and Z490 Chipset Arrive April 2020

https://www.techpowerup.com/261987/intel-core-i9-10900k-10-core-processor-and-z490-chipset-arrive-april-2020

1643552988_Captureintel.thumb.JPG.e75c63141fdc851c3bdc1a265789a11f.JPG

Intel is expected to finally refresh its mainstream desktop platform with the introduction of the 14 nm "Comet Lake-S" processors, in Q2-2020. This sees the introduction of the new LGA1200 socket and Intel 400-series chipsets, led by the Z490 Express at the top. Platform maps of these PCI-Express gen 3.0 based chipsets make them look largely similar to current 300-series platform, with a few changes. For starters, Intel introducing its biggest ACPI change since C6/C7 power states that debuted with "Haswell;" with the introduction of C10 and S0ix Modern Standby power-states, which give your PC an iPad-like availability while sipping minimal power. This idea is slightly different from Smart Connect, in that your web-connected apps and processor work at an extremely low-power (fanless) state, rather than waking your machine up from time to time for the apps to refresh. 400-series chipset motherboards will also feature updated networking interfaces, such as support for 2.5 GbE wired LAN with an Intel i225-series PHY, 802.11ax WiFi 6 WLAN, etc.

HyperThreading will play a big role in making Intel's processor lineup competitive with AMD's given that the underlying microarchitecture offers an identical core design to "Skylake" circa 2015. The entry-level Core i3 chips will be 4-core/8-thread, Core i5 6-core/12-thread, Core i7 8-core/16-thread; and leading the pack will be the Core i9-10900K, a 10-core/20-thread processor.

Well, It is still  on 14nm with how many "+" now? The 10 cores i9 10900k sounds not bad but I doubt the price is going to be much more expensive. The i9 9900k 8c/16t is at $489 right now,  so I doubt the brother 9900k, 10900k will be $600? Who knows, but we know it is not going to be affordable. The i9 10900k is going to be more hotter than i9 9900k with 2 more cores and 4 more threads.

Unless they can pull some big IPC (doubt) or clock speed (intels going to get the heater name) it won't do well against ryzen 2 let alone zen 3 parts.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Give it up Intel, don't rush out with half-baked chips. They're going through generation numbers so fast yet there's so little 'innovation' that it means nothing but snake oil.

They'd best have decent pricing to even be at least considered alongside Zen2 CPUs.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, Blai5e said:

Mate, the 9900k does use solder between the IHS and the chip so it's going to be apples for apples.

It does? I thought it doesn't.

New socket, "new" chipset. SAME OLE ARCHITECTURE. What a fucking joke.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Why is Intel so desperate to release such a half-baked product with absolutely nothing worthy over the current 9th gen?

Z490 is basically Z390 with Wifi 6 integrated, not even PCIE Gen 4,  yet they ask for another mainboard replacement for NINE ADDITIONAL PINS

This smells Cascade Lake X all over again
At this point it is better than Intel discount all their 9th gen lineup and get their R&D shit together

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

While I'm sure these CPUs will perform fine, it's nothing exciting.. Makes me consider giving team red a go.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

So let's get this straight, let's assume Intel charges $600 (or more?) for this CPU, the Ryzen 9 3900X is 12 cores for only $499, so Intel is giving you less for more... And for another $150 you can go with a 3950X and get 6 ADDITIONAL cores, just give up already Intel, it's pathetic at this point. Going to try and wait for Zen 3 for my new build.

Why do it at all? The industry does expect something "new" regularly, even if there is little change in substance.

Is it too little too late? Maybe... but I still think better than doing nothing at all.

I kinda wish they backported Ice Lake to 14nm as it would be more interesting. On that note, it will be interesting to see how pricing really works out. We have Cascade Lake-X showing Intel can offer lower pricing than previous generations might suggest, but with ongoing fab constraints I think they'll be less likely to make radical adjustments in the consumer level parts.

We do have a 10 core i9-10900X as reference though. That has a tray price of $599. I would say I'd hope consumer model is cheaper than that, but when I got into X299 with a 7800X, the CPU by itself was cheaper than the 8700k at the time...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

intel sells them all

also it took amd to use chiplet design and 7nm to trade blows mostly overtaking with intel 14nm(which is 5yrs old that says alot by itself) on the mainstream platform

which is a platform where these high core count doesnt matter that much for the moment(hopefully it will change fast but doubting it)

Just now, porina said:

I kinda wish they backported Ice Lake to 14nm as it would be more interesting.

It would, but I think it may be more trouble than its worth as the architecture is likely designed around a process node as a base requirement. Like how much bigger would the die get? How much would they have to clock it down to keep thermals in check? etc.

On a semi-related note, I think NVIDIA had an interesting idea with the GTX 750 Ti. Throw a new microarchitecture on the current process to work out the kinks, then, hopefully when/if the process node comes out, you have a design that's been field tested.

1 hour ago, OlympicAssEater said:

It does? I thought it doesn't.

8700K had TIM. 9900K has solder. There's a reason why you basically never see 9900K's delidded ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It would, but I think it may be more trouble than its worth as the architecture is likely designed around a process node as a base requirement. Like how much bigger would the die get? How much would they have to clock it down to keep thermals in check? etc.

They have been making noises that in future they'll decoupling the architecture from the process. Of course, at some point, the two will have to meet in order to make a product, but it can allow more flexibility in their manufacturing. It is a good question if they would have to reduce the design capability in some way, or could they manage it? As we've seen with Zen 2, even though the overall power efficiency is good, the smaller size is showing density challenges in cooling.

There's a slide circulating over the past days showing Intel's plans to get back on track with routine process generations, but they will still have a choice in do they release designs on evolutions of a node or move it to the next one. Kinda hoping someone would make a news article of it as I'm too lazy...

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/3127/intel-2020s-process-technology-roadmap-10nm-3nm-2nm-and-1-4nm-for-2029/

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

They have been making noises that in future they'll decoupling the architecture from the process. Of course, at some point, the two will have to meet in order to make a product, but it can allow more flexibility in their manufacturing. It is a good question if they would have to reduce the design capability in some way, or could they manage it? As we've seen with Zen 2, even though the overall power efficiency is good, the smaller size is showing density challenges in cooling.

There's a slide circulating over the past days showing Intel's plans to get back on track with routine process generations, but they will still have a choice in do they release designs on evolutions of a node or move it to the next one. Kinda hoping someone would make a news article of it as I'm too lazy...

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/3127/intel-2020s-process-technology-roadmap-10nm-3nm-2nm-and-1-4nm-for-2029/

yeah I seen this also

along with bob swan think brian before stating they arent about cpus but they be trying for 30% of all silicon because cpus are declining

It's still PCIe 3.0...

That's enough proof it's clearly not new and nothing to be excited about. It's well old stuff but just more of it.

49 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

On a semi-related note, I think NVIDIA had an interesting idea with the GTX 750 Ti. Throw a new microarchitecture on the current process to work out the kinks, then, hopefully when/if the process node comes out, you have a design that's been field tested.

On another surprising node, ATI did this as well.

For example: The ATI HD 4770 used the 40nm node while the HD 4870 used the 55nm mode.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-4770.c290

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-4870.c219

And Intel did too. Sort of, there is 1 10nm cpu out there, but it's crap and iirc already EOL because it had no future at all because it was so bad compared to what they had it was basically DOA.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

18 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

On another surprising node, ATI did this as well.

For example: The ATI HD 4770 used the 40nm node while the HD 4870 used the 55nm mode.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-4770.c290

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-4870.c219

I don't think I can count that as the same thing. The 4770 looks more like a die shrink of the 4870 architecture, which NVIDIA also did with the GTX 280 vs GTX 285.

The GTX 750 Ti was Maxwell's actual debut. GeForce 900 was a refinement of it.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Why do it at all? The industry does expect something "new" regularly, even if there is little change in substance.

Is it too little too late? Maybe... but I still think better than doing nothing at all.

A big part of it is OEM and system integrator sales, I think. It doesn't matter so much that Intel's losing out in the enthusiast/gaming segment so long as they keep dominating the OEM/SI market. And with Zen 2 at least, there's still some space for Intel as the "FPS-champions" in high refresh gaming rigs.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

It'll be interesting because now i5's could be 6c 12t will i7's could be 8c 18t which means that for the first time, i5 i7 will compete in terms of core number with r5 r7. It'll be quite interesting to see how that plays out in productivity (a stronghold for AMD). Interesting to see how long this 10th gen will be available before Ryzen 4000 comes out.

New socket AGAIN? That’s rubbish. AMD is winning consumer hearts by doing things which the customer wants. Blatant anti-consumer crap like this will get you nowhere.

That said, the low power mode looks interesting 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Well, It is still  on 14nm

Still? Damn, will they EVER stop?

Core i7-3770, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 4TB HDD
MintyCMS

12 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

New socket AGAIN? That’s rubbish. AMD is winning consumer hearts by doing things which the customer wants. Blatant anti-consumer crap like this will get you nowhere.

Most customers don't actually care whether or not they can upgrade their CPU though.