Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quayyum94

rebuilding my old system

Posted · Original PosterOP

i was planning to uninstall all the components from my case and reinstall it again,what could be the damage and types of precautions i need to take in order to do it in the right way? Special worries about removing usb 3.0 cable the big one and front panel connecters and cleaning the processor!

Watch for static in a logical way, don't need a bracelet or anything.

Then reverse build normally.

Did you build the machine in the first place?

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Use some platic gloves when unístalling componen to prevent anything happening with static .

But really nothing to worry about. Just remember to unblug your psu first

Have the PSU be plugged into the wall (but turned off!) and just touch it (or you case, if your PSU is in the case) to discharge yourself. As @jstudrawa said, no need for a bracelet.. Sure, if you're gonna build multiple systems, it can be helpful. 

You basically named all the most important thing already; handle the CPU/socket with care, be careful when pulling out the USB 3.0 cable.. 

To add unto that, take note of how the front panel headers are installed, take note of where all the SATA cables are installed (I would usually recommend unplugging them when working on the PC, especially on the storage device side, so you can't accidentally bump into them).

Are you aware that the PCIE slot the GPU is installed into has a latch that you have to undo?

Make sure you have the right tools too:

- Screwdriver (maybe a small one too, if you have an M.2 drive

- Place to store all screws

- Compressed air (or datavac) can be helpful

- Paper towels and alcohol (water can work too, just don't let it sit on components and make sure it dried off completely)

- Thermal paste

- Tweezer

- Swiss army knife

Don't forget to turn on the PSU afterwards!

7 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Use some platic gloves when unístalling componen to prevent anything happening with static .

What exactly are plastic gloves gonna do....? o.O

This is rebuilding a PC, not a medical procedure. If you want to suggest them because plastic insulates, be sure to tell people to not touch the PC with their arms by the way!

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

Be careful with plastic gloves, they usually contain latex.  We all know what happens when a balloon rubs on something....

Plastic gloves are a bad call.  Make sure your hands aren't dry (lotion) and you're fine.  Lotion counters static.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

17 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Watch for static in a logical way, don't need a bracelet or anything.

Then reverse build normally.

Did you build the machine in the first place?

nope

17 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

ok

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

Have the PSU be plugged into the wall (but turned off!) and just touch it (or you case, if your PSU is in the case) to discharge yourself. As @jstudrawa said, no need for a bracelet.. Sure, if you're gonna build multiple systems, it can be helpful. 

You basically named all the most important thing already; handle the CPU/socket with care, be careful when pulling out the USB 3.0 cable.. 

To add unto that, take note of how the front panel headers are installed, take note of where all the SATA cables are installed (I would usually recommend unplugging them when working on the PC, especially on the storage device side, so you can't accidentally bump into them).

Are you aware that the PCIE slot the GPU is installed into has a latch that you have to undo?

Make sure you have the right tools too:

- Screwdriver (maybe a small one too, if you have an M.2 drive

- Place to store all screws

- Compressed air (or datavac) can be helpful

- Paper towels and alcohol (water can work too, just don't let it sit on components and make sure it dried off completely)

- Thermal paste

- Tweezer

- Swiss army knife

Don't forget to turn on the PSU afterwards!

What exactly are plastic gloves gonna do....? o.O

This is rebuilding a PC, not a medical procedure. If you want to suggest them because plastic insulates, be sure to tell people to not touch the PC with their arms by the way!

ok

Just now, quayyum94 said:

can wet wipes be used for cleaning?

Depends what cleaning, for cpu and gpu, i would not wipe wet, i would use dry to wet wipe

19 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

...Plastic gloves?? That made me laugh. 

If your worried about static, you can touch a radiator as their usually grounded.

8 minutes ago, quayyum94 said:

can wet wipes be used for cleaning?

Sure. 

Usually you clean the majority of the thermal paste with a paper towel, the stubborn stuff/leftovers with alcohol (or wet wipe in your case) and then redo it with a dry paper towel to remove all residue.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

1 hour ago, jstudrawa said:

Be careful with plastic gloves, they usually contain latex.  We all know what happens when a balloon rubs on something....

Plastic gloves are a bad call.  Make sure your hands aren't dry (lotion) and you're fine.  Lotion counters static.

So maybe I should exercise a bit more caution when working inside my PC when my hands are like this?

Spoiler

1884487985_IMG_20180304_183513702handwaytoodry.thumb.jpg.907111724b94fbaa3ef8d1d44c569c34.jpg

Or if it's one of those days when I am shocking myself touching my car door or ceiling fan pull chains, etc? :)

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

So maybe I should exercise a bit more caution when working inside my PC when my hands are like this?

Reveal hidden contents

1884487985_IMG_20180304_183513702handwaytoodry.thumb.jpg.907111724b94fbaa3ef8d1d44c569c34.jpg

Or if it's one of those days when I am shocking myself touching my car door or ceiling fan pull chains, etc? :)

Correct.  Now I would suggest gloves to avoid your hands looks like that :)

Really, static electricity doesn't just kill shit normally.  I've shocked my parts plenty of times, but if you can avoid it reasonably, do so.  

10 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Correct.  Now I would suggest gloves to avoid your hands looks like that :)

Really, static electricity doesn't just kill shit normally.  I've shocked my parts plenty of times, but if you can avoid it reasonably, do so.  

Actually, when my hands get like that (or even if they just start cracking & being sore from being cool & dry), I use this stuff on them.

Spoiler

IMG_20191211_092311.thumb.jpg.6b7fbe5f425b1ada929b3759c49baf20.jpg