Asus ROG Thor 850W opinion

frozensun
Just now, frozensun said:

CORSAIR RM1000i 

that one I could get for 130 euros but no warranty at all,although it's brand new.

We don't have Corsair here in eastern Europe.

I'ts risky to buy it but then for 130 euros I'd take my chances and risk if this PSU fails hopefully won't damage other components inside my PC.

Buying a PSU with no warranty... NOPE.

Don't.

Get a new unit with warranty. The RMi series is great.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

OPP is set to high leading to the PSU failing before shutting down safely among other more minor reasons. 

wait my friend link to me text or yt video,I want to know how important is each of those protections and how do they work,can you?

So G2 has OPP which G3 doesn't?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The HX is still considered a higher end PSU. Both have multi rail, and iirc, both are based on the HXi. 

1.who needs multirail and what is that?

2.HX doesn't have monitoring but is more expensive then RMi,do they run on same platform?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Buying a PSU with no warranty... NOPE.

Don't.

Get a new unit with warranty. The RMi series is great.

I'd say warranty is just a piece of paper.I'm into computers from year 2002 and any of the components never fail on me.

Maybe I'm wrong but the chance that PSU especially Corsair will fail is minimal I meant on RMi one.

I'm low on budget,for me personally take chance and go for 130 euros because the one with warranty is 200 and something euros.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

wait my friend link to me text or yt video,I want to know how important is each of those protections and how do they work,can you?

So G2 has OPP which G3 doesn't?

G3 has OPP. but it is set too high, so the PSU cant run in the conditions right before the OPP kicks in. 

under commonly mentioned details you will find brief explanations for terms regarding PSUs.i dont really have a lot more insight other than knowing stuff regarding certain units. 

here are all the reasons as to why the G3 is really worth avoiding. 

ooh ok,what is OCP,OTP,OVP and that ficking stuff...lets say if a PSU has all of those protections does it mean if PSU fails that it won't damage PC?

ok guy wrote:

Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations

What are those specific situations?

I'd say warranty is just a piece of paper.I'm into computers from year 2002 and any of the components never fail on me.

Maybe I'm wrong but the chance that PSU especially Corsair will fail is minimal I meant on RMi one.

I'm low on budget,for me personally take chance and go for 130 euros because the one with warranty is 200 and something euros.

Warranty is a piece of paper that will make it so if something does go wrong you have someone to go to and get your money back.

Sure, it's a quality unit.. But it's not worth it to take the 'no warranty' route.

Not sure what your PC build is like.. But if you are considering RM1000i and Asus Thor PSU's, you probably are not on a low budget :P 

So depending on what kind of PSU you have, you could likely grab a 650W Corsair TXM and be done too.

Situations where you will need more are for example:

- Multiple GPU's

- Certain HEDT CPU's

- Weird cable requirement situations

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

1.who needs multirail and what is that?

2.HX doesn't have monitoring but is more expensive then RMi,do they run on same platform?

Multi rail OCP on 12V is a protection. It's more relevant on higher wattage PSUs, which I consider the RMi and HX wattages to be. 

Yes. You should be able to find reviews of both, if you want more details. 

:)

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

ok guy wrote:

Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations

What are those specific situations?

usually outside of maximum rated wattage. 

tho can be other situations. and PSUs should be able to hold their own untill they shut down safely. 

Lets imagine this scene,I buy RM1000i,no warranty.

I mean it's Corsair RMi series they don' usually fail,right?

I mean even if would fail I'd be so unlucky.

What would be the worst scenario to happen if that particular model of PSU fails since it has all the protections needed?

What would be the worst scenario to happen if that particular model of PSU fails since it has all the protections needed?

corsair rm1000i has 5 year warranty

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Just now, SavageNeo said:

but the worst scenario would be your psu exploding and destroying all your other components

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

3 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

but the worst scenario would be your psu exploding and destroying all your other components

lol never in my life heard that someone had PSU explode,particulary Corsair RM....

never mind it would be theme for some other topic,if PSU usually fail,then okay it's smart to buy it with warranty.

9 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Lol with or without warranty psu will explode and damage the components,the supplier won't pay me the new PC,so whats the purpose of the warranty,yeah they will send me the new PSU but at the cost of fucked up PC.

As I told you warranty on PSU is just a piece of paper,and choosing the one from my opinion is a lottery,even if I buy with warranty paper no one will buy me a new pc,right?

As I told you warranty on PSU is just a piece of paper,and choosing the one from my opinion is a lottery,even if I buy with warranty paper no one will buy me a new pc,right?

Well they will buy you new parts, if its the psu's fault. And the are very much bad scenarios with psu, but usually more better (80+, bronze,silver,gold,platinum,titanium) have lower change to fuck up your system

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

Well they will buy you new parts, if its the psu's fault. And the are very much bad scenarios with psu, but usually more better (80+, bronze,silver,gold,platinum,titanium) have lower change to fuck up your system

Maybe where you live but here in Bosnia they will by me shit...

Man there were days like current drops from electricity supplier and no one can blaim them it's just thing that happens,and if a PC or any component fails TV or so they don't care.

This is not EU or USA my friend.

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Just don't get a PSU without a warranty in the first place, unless it's a throwaway rig. Are there any options in your market that do have warranties? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

20 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Worst case one the PSU dies and it will need to be replaced. 

tho its such a good PSU i can see it running for a very long time. 

absolute worst case might have it harming a component, tho with that unit i cant really see that ever happening. 

6 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

but usually more better (80+, bronze,silver,gold,platinum,titanium) have lower change to fuck up your system

thats an efficiencyrating. says nothing about the quality and construction of the PSU. 

21 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

PSUs rarely if ever explode. if they do its a really bad unit to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Just don't get a PSU without a warranty in the first place, unless it's a throwaway rig. Are there any options in your market that do have warranties? 

What warranty means to you except getting new device?

No point of warranty if it damages your PC,right?

What warranty means to you except getting new device?

No point of warranty if it damages your PC,right?

You're not spending $100+ more on a PSU as well as replacing the rest of the rig. Also I think in some cases they can replace your hardware, that may depend on the OEM and such though. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

You're not spending $100+ more on a PSU as well as replacing the rest of the rig. Also I think in some cases they can replace your hardware, that may depend on the OEM and such though. 

Corsair will replace your PC parts,I doubt,man...I doubt any of those companies will do so.

44 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

10 years warranty on the Corsair RM1000i. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/rmi-series-config/p/CP-9020084-NA

27 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Man there were days like current drops from electricity supplier and no one can blaim them it's just thing that happens,and if a PC or any component fails TV or so they don't care.

Probably should also invest in a UPS as well if that is the case.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

37 minutes ago, Spotty said:

10 years warranty on the Corsair RM1000i. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/rmi-series-config/p/CP-9020084-NA

Probably should also invest in a UPS as well if that is the case.

Yea my friend,probably should have 3000 $ salary as an enginner not 400 $. :/