Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djdelarosa25

Do you guys turn off WiFi and mobile data when not in use?

If you have bad LTE reception or WiFi not connected to anything, I personally do turn it off because it has a noticeable effect on battery life for me.

Your mileage may vary.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

i do but its more of an habit i guess .... if you ever had an 600€ phone bill you know what i mean

Wifi can actually drain your Battery because it constantly updates the available WLANs

Wifi yes, mobile data no.

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@4.9@1.2v Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, 17-17-17-39 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

At home I turn on wifi and turn off data. Vice versa when I am not at home. Simple :)

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

No, not unless I am leaving the house for example, for wifi... and for mobile data, only turn it off if I am in a poor coverage area for a while as it will constantly be looking to try and connect.

I used to turn them off when not needed, but that had very little effect on the battery TBH for me, but again your mileage may vary.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

https://www.dictionary.com/  is good for helping with spelling, if you care.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GZWxgJ
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Strictly speaking, you don't need to unless you're on the fringe of a given network and making your phone strain to stay connected.

The battery life hit from leaving WiFi and mobile data on is normally quite low these days.  Your phone doesn't check for available WiFi networks often enough to really hurt the battery.  And besides, having WiFi on can help with positioning, plus public hotspots you might want to use (I'm thinking in underground train stations and other places where you'd otherwise have trouble connecting).

Never.

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

At home I turn on wifi and turn off data.

You save nothing by turning off data when connected to wifi.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Does it have a noticeable effect on your battery life when constantly on?

I used to have the Stamina  Mode on (Xperia's software) which would disable the WiFi when the screen was off and periodically check new notifications... but it was around 5 years ago and things were different with less notifications, since then I've never tried to enable that feature in any other phone, but sometimes I just turn on Airplane Mode when I don't really want to use the phone and/or want to save some battery (i.e. doing a bit of tourism, I quickly check the directions for some place, turn on Airplane Mode, walk for 15 mins and if in need, check again)

But besides that, I always have wifi or data enabled and the only time I don't have it on is when I go to sleep. If it's important call me, don't text me via WhatsApp.