What should I play before RE2 Remake?

ExalyThor
Go to solution Solved by Giganthrax,

Nah. The story is extremely simple and the characters are all new anyway. You'll understand everything easily. 

I've just finished downloading RE2 Remake, but I'm wondering if I should play RE HD Remaster before it. That would be the logical chronology right? (Ik RE0 remaster also exists)

Nah. The story is extremely simple and the characters are all new anyway. You'll understand everything easily. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

The games have really not much in common.  There are some lose story bits here and there but the order is really irrelevant. Or even important. 

Play RE remake only if you love tank controls (it also has non tank controls but they do not change the difficult orientation)

I LOVE tank controls, RE1 Remake is one of my favorite games but many people don't like the controls (the best thing about this game)  so yeah,  it's not necessary at all to play before RE2 

BTW RE0 is trash. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yeah I've started playing re2 already because I liked re2 movie the most. Though imo the game is not worth 60$. No melee combat or stealth gameplay in such a game is a big turn off for me. I enjoyed a plague tale more. Thanks for the clarification though...

8 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

No melee combat or stealth gameplay in such a game is a big turn off for me

*not sure if serious.gif*

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

After your playthrough, if you want simillar games, try Daymare: 1998.

Its good.

I have finished it, not impressed at all. I might consider playing as Leon too, but in the very distant future. The game was a lot of frustration, impossible to finish without the help of the internet due to the very poor objective explanation. Having to resolve a puzzle only to solve a portion of a bigger puzzle, very slow pace of the game, no visually appealing surroundings and no character growth are all universal reasons why I don't recommend other people buying the game.

1 hour ago, TheSponyX said:

I have finished it, not impressed at all. I might consider playing as Leon too, but in the very distant future. The game was a lot of frustration, impossible to finish without the help of the internet due to the very poor objective explanation. Having to resolve a puzzle only to solve a portion of a bigger puzzle, very slow pace of the game, no visually appealing surroundings and no character growth are all universal reasons why I don't recommend other people buying the game.

Unfortunately, I don't think these games are for you - this is also why I kinda advised not playing RE1,  everything you thought is "frustrating" in RE2 is a multitude more "frustrating" in RE1. 

You also did *not* finish the game,  not only because you only played half of it yet but also because the goal of these games is to get S+ on hardest difficulty, which I doubt you even attempted   ;)

Just to clarify the confusion,  these games are at heart Arcade Time Attack games,  any other way of playing them is simply wrong and missing out on the wonderful pleasure of failure and despair.   :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Unfortunately, I don't think these games are for you - this is also why I kinda advised not playing RE1,  everything you thought is "frustrating" in RE2 is a multitude more "frustrating" in RE1. 

You also did *not* finish the game,  not only because you only played half of it yet but also because the goal of these games is to get S+ on hardest difficulty, which I doubt you even attempted   ;)

Just to clarify the confusion,  these games are at heart Arcade Time Attack games,  any other way of playing them is simply wrong and missing out on the wonderful pleasure of failure and despair.   :)

Well yeah my favorite games are Dying Light, Far Cry 5, 7 Days to Die and The Forest. But I loved A Plague Tale and the core gameplay (go from point a to point b) is the same between PT and RE so I thought I'd love it the same.

8 hours ago, TheSponyX said:

Well yeah my favorite games are Dying Light, Far Cry 5, 7 Days to Die and The Forest. But I loved A Plague Tale and the core gameplay (go from point a to point b) is the same between PT and RE so I thought I'd love it the same.

I see ... Tbh I haven't played any of these ?   

It's kind of a shame you didn't like RE2 because it's pretty much a masterpiece -  the things people critic are true and could have been better (barely any interaction between the protagonists for example) but are ultimately just nitpicks and don't stop it from being one of the best games (and remakes) ever made. 

But!  I definitely think it's not a good entry for someone trying to get into the series...  Idk if you've played any other entries but RE5,  Revelations 1+2, RE4 and by extend even the ultra trashy (hey, some people like it)  RE6 would be much better suited to "get into" the series as they're much more modern and streamlined.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be playing re3 remake once it's out. But I won't be as excited as I was for this one. Tbh if I could choose one thing that needs improved from re2 remake to make it to re3 it would be objective listing. Tell the player wtf he/she actually needs to do. Beside a nasty puzzle in shadow of the tomb raider this was the only game where I needed constant help from the internet to progress trough it.