GPU temps back to high after few days of changing thermal paste

Shani

Recently bought a used XFX RX 570 and temps were touching 80C@80% fan speed. Decided to change thermal paste because previous thermal paste was dry. After changing the thermal paste the temps dropped to 73C@70% fan speed. But after using it 4 days, the temps are back to high i,e 80C@80% fan speed. I did take apart cooler after freshly applying thermal paste because I forgot to attach backplate. What could be the reason? Is it becasue of taking it apart after freshly applying thermal paste?

7 minutes ago, Shani said:

Recently bought a used XFX RX 570 and temps were touching 80C@80% fan speed. Decided to change thermal paste because previous thermal paste was dry. After changing the thermal paste the temps dropped to 73C@70% fan speed. But after using it 4 days, the temps are back to high i,e 80C@80% fan speed. I did take apart cooler after freshly applying thermal paste because I forgot to attach backplate. What could be the reason? Is it becasue of taking it apart after freshly applying thermal paste?

What paste did you use? Also did you take into account, that if your testing from cold boot vs using the pc for hours makes the temp go up? Also ambient temperature is a factor.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

11 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What paste did you use? Also did you take into account, that if your testing from cold boot vs using the pc for hours makes the temp go up? Also ambient temperature is a factor.

I used GD900 (chinese thermal paste). Used that paste on many other GPUs and the performance is really good. Both time tested it from cold boot. Ambient temperature ranges from 23-27C.

Is it possible the GPU is just boosting to higher speeds with the new paste?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

gpu is going to get hot regardless of thermal paste applications, thermal paste just lets the card, don't worry to much. check the voltages, fan curve, and clock speeds to see if those might be having an effect.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

5 hours ago, minibois said:

Is it possible the GPU is just boosting to higher speeds with the new paste?

GPU keeps stable 1286mhz even at 83C. It doesn't thermal throttle. But the temps are just very high for my comfort.

4 hours ago, Jumballi said:

gpu is going to get hot regardless of thermal paste applications, thermal paste just lets the card, don't worry to much. check the voltages, fan curve, and clock speeds to see if those might be having an effect.

Card is at base clock speed of 1286mhz. Didn't overclock at all. Fan speed is max @80%. At 100% speed the card sounds like a blower.

22 minutes ago, Shani said:

GPU keeps stable 1286mhz even at 83C. It doesn't thermal throttle. But the temps are just very high for my comfort.

Before applying the new paste too?
Because what I am thinking, is that now that the card has more headroom in terms of temperatures, it just casually is able to hit higher speeds.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What about airflow in the case?  I was looking at some reviews on the RX570 and they showed upwards on 74 C on test benches depending on the card.  I could easily see the temps going up to 83 C inside a case, especially if that case was a bit airflow restricted.