Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shani

GPU temps back to high after few days of changing thermal paste

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Recently bought a used XFX RX 570 and temps were touching 80C@80% fan speed. Decided to change thermal paste because previous thermal paste was dry. After changing the thermal paste the temps dropped to 73C@70% fan speed. But after using it 4 days, the temps are back to high i,e 80C@80% fan speed. I did take apart cooler after freshly applying thermal paste because I forgot to attach backplate. What could be the reason? Is it becasue of taking it apart after freshly applying thermal paste?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shani said:

Recently bought a used XFX RX 570 and temps were touching 80C@80% fan speed. Decided to change thermal paste because previous thermal paste was dry. After changing the thermal paste the temps dropped to 73C@70% fan speed. But after using it 4 days, the temps are back to high i,e 80C@80% fan speed. I did take apart cooler after freshly applying thermal paste because I forgot to attach backplate. What could be the reason? Is it becasue of taking it apart after freshly applying thermal paste?

What paste did you use? Also did you take into account, that if your testing from cold boot vs using the pc for hours makes the temp go up? Also ambient temperature is a factor.


CPU: Intel i7 9700K@5.3GHz SC/DC, 5.1GHz QC, 5.0Ghz All core, AVX offset 0| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3600Mhz 14-14-14-29, 1N, 1.45V| 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

What paste did you use? Also did you take into account, that if your testing from cold boot vs using the pc for hours makes the temp go up? Also ambient temperature is a factor.

I used GD900 (chinese thermal paste). Used that paste on many other GPUs and the performance is really good. Both time tested it from cold boot. Ambient temperature ranges from 23-27C.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible the GPU is just boosting to higher speeds with the new paste?


"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

 

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

 

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

 

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites

gpu is going to get hot regardless of thermal paste applications, thermal paste just lets the card, don't worry to much. check the voltages, fan curve, and clock speeds to see if those might be having an effect.


CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, minibois said:

Is it possible the GPU is just boosting to higher speeds with the new paste?

GPU keeps stable 1286mhz even at 83C. It doesn't thermal throttle. But the temps are just very high for my comfort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Jumballi said:

gpu is going to get hot regardless of thermal paste applications, thermal paste just lets the card, don't worry to much. check the voltages, fan curve, and clock speeds to see if those might be having an effect.

Card is at base clock speed of 1286mhz. Didn't overclock at all. Fan speed is max @80%. At 100% speed the card sounds like a blower.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Shani said:

GPU keeps stable 1286mhz even at 83C. It doesn't thermal throttle. But the temps are just very high for my comfort.

Before applying the new paste too?
Because what I am thinking, is that now that the card has more headroom in terms of temperatures, it just casually is able to hit higher speeds.


"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

 

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

 

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

 

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about airflow in the case?  I was looking at some reviews on the RX570 and they showed upwards on 74 C on test benches depending on the card.  I could easily see the temps going up to 83 C inside a case, especially if that case was a bit airflow restricted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×