Home based server Help

MoonMoon

I'm outside of my home a lot, and I like to play a lot, trying to make my PC accessible from outside i had to ask for my ISP for some help, they gave me a static IP, I can stream from my pc over the internet, but I can't Wake Over the Internet.

I'm asking for help to set up my PC static IP, considering that I already have an Static IP with my ISP.

Thank you.

if you've already been given a static ip address then you should manually set your ip address in the network settings.

to prevent sleep mode so you don't have to wake it up is also in the windows settings>system>battery and standby (my settings are in danish so they're poorly translated).

You might have some input lag though so you need to keep that in mind.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

If the machine is already on, and just asleep I find Chrome Remote desktop top be a viable option, as it wakes up the computer, you can then use CRD to sign into your machine and initialize it, then switch over to you other solution, otherwise I would recommend performing the operation that @flashiling recommended.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

23 minutes ago, MoonMoon said:

I'm outside of my home a lot, and I like to play a lot, trying to make my PC accessible from outside i had to ask for my ISP for some help, they gave me a static IP, I can stream from my pc over the internet, but I can't Wake Over the Internet.

I'm asking for help to set up my PC static IP, considering that I already have an Static IP with my ISP.

Thank you.

First of all, if you intend to stream games, expect high latency and ensure you have plenty of bandwidth for streaming.

Secondly, you most likely have a router and that gets the static IP from your ISP. You don't need to do any configuring, if the ISP's DHCP server assigns you the static IP automatically (which is the case in Estonia, not sure about other countries/ISPs). Static IP isn't really required here, alternative would have been configuring dynamic DNS and running a script/application, which automatically updates your IP.

I wouldn't recommend exposing your PC directly to the Internet. Instead, set up a VPN server (WireGuard or OpenVPN) on your PC/router/separate computer/server, configure port-forwarding on your router on the VPN port to your PC and use VPN to connect to your local network. From there you can also send wake on LAN packets to your PC (if running VPN on elsewhere than your PC) to turn it on remotely.

After that, you can use some remote software (RDP for example) to log in to your PC.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

9 hours ago, MoonMoon said:

Thank you.

I agree with the suggestion to use VPN to access your home network. Most decent routers have the feature, and it is pretty easy to setup. (most routers also have a DDNS feature so you could have saved hassle of getting a static IP, but that is already done so no worries).

See if your router supports WoL. WoL packets are broadcast packets which typically means you need to be on the same subnet. If you are using OpenVPN in TAP mode, that should work, but in TUN mode it will not. It is best if you can use the router's web interface to send the WoL packet. If not, then you could try sending it to your broadcast address (255 at the end instead of the computer's actual IP, so 192.168.1.255 for example), the router may or may not allow that, but worth a try.