Linksys Dual WAN LRT224 internet speed issue

AhmedIlyas

So even though I am still having an issue setting up the dual WAN to work with my existing router... I have noticed something.

Without configuring (and updating firmware and factory default settings etc...) I notice that if I plug my internet modem to WAN1 in the Linksys router and then connect a laptop to the LAN port (wired) connection, my internet speed is about 60MB/s but without plugging it into the Linksys router, I get 540MB/s (which is what I get... I am on a 1GBPS connection - but dont receive the 800MB/s... long story).

Why on earth is the Linksys router reducing so much internet speed?! I even turned OFF the firewall and same issue.

Thoughts? 

11 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

So even though I am still having an issue setting up the dual WAN to work with my existing router... I have noticed something.

Without configuring (and updating firmware and factory default settings etc...) I notice that if I plug my internet modem to WAN1 in the Linksys router and then connect a laptop to the LAN port (wired) connection, my internet speed is about 60MB/s but without plugging it into the Linksys router, I get 540MB/s (which is what I get... I am on a 1GBPS connection - but dont receive the 800MB/s... long story).

Why on earth is the Linksys router reducing so much internet speed?! I even turned OFF the firewall and same issue.

Thoughts? 

What kind of modem do you have?  If it is a modem/router combo, then make sure it is in Bridge mode (might be called something different) so that your Linksys can handle routing needs. A router-behind-router scenario should not result in that kind of performance drops, but that is the first thing I want to get out of the way.

Also, make sure the Linksys router shows that the WAN interface is connected at 1000 and not 100 (not sure exactly where to look, but there should be some kind of status page that shows that)

I believe it showed as connected as 1000 and not 100 but will double check.

The modem is not a router - it is just a modem (Motorola Motorola MB8600).

The Netgear router is my main wireless router and has DHCP and port forwarding etc... which then would plug into the Linksys router (which im having issues with but that's a different issue I am dealing with)

2 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

The Netgear router is my main wireless router and has DHCP and port forwarding etc..

You dont want to connect a router to a router. It can cause issues with Double NAT. Your best bet is to turn the Netgear in to a AP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

hmmmm that would suck. We also changed the Linksys router to DHCP Relay but that still didnt work.

if I change the netgear router as AP then if I need to change it back, would need to do factory default reset as then I cannot access the router config page - plus I have port forwarding setup on there too, which may not work in AP mode?

17 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

plus I have port forwarding setup on there too, which may not work in AP mode?

No. But reguardless port forwarding also would have to be setup in the Linksys router as well. Plus some programs dont like NAT to begin with, having two layers of NAT is asking for trouble. Port forwarding thru double NAT is also a pain in the dick. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks.

I am not sure where to go from here in regards to getting the routers to work with everything going through the netgear router (from the LAN perspective) And being able to get connectivity to the internet (which connects to the LRT device).