Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcidAddict33

Noctua fan issue or Motherboard issue?

I tried messing with the fan settings with no success; The only way I've been able to use my pc right now is to disable the CPU minimum fan speed check, and to plug it into the pump header which causes it to spin at max speed.

However I just solved the problem. With a Bios update. I don't even know how that would even work, but it did. I just upgraded my rig today, and I thought I had updated to the latest BIOS via flashdrive but turns out I hadn't, so I just did that and all of a sudden my CPU fans started kicking in. Did not realize that a BIOS update could affect fans but I guess it kind of makes sense since my old fan that's almost 6 years old worked and the newer ones didn't. Anyways I'll marked this as solved now.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI

CPU Cooler: Noctua U12A

I've recently upgraded my rig and everything seems to be working fine, except the CPU fans. I've plugged them into the correct CPU fan headers on the motherboard, but they simply do not turn on. However, if one of the fans is not pushed in all the way and is at a specific angle, then it works. But the slightest nudge unplugs it.

I tried the stock cooler fan (for the Ryzen 3700x) and it has the same issue.

Out of curiosity I dug out my old cpu fan and it works completely fine when plugged all the way in. I figured if it's sometimes working then the pins themselves are fine, and then I noticed the holes on the old fan (white) are way smaller than the Noctua ones (black). Are the bigger holes preventing the pins from making contact with the wires? And if so, is this a common issue with Noctua fans, and how do I solve it? Or am I completely off base with what the problem is?

1907552843_coolermasterfan.jpg.2caa62f6e08477d0e833f65ae2d59894.jpg1131436334_noctuafan.thumb.jpg.7a83c59b09cce28df3c59ce9f7a2d4a6.jpg

Have you enabled PWM through your BIOS? Still seems unlikely that they would not spin at all but worth checking in too. I have the same motherboard and I have used Noctua NF and Corsair ML fans, connectors were never an issue. 

Noctua NF or Corsair ML? ‖ PSU Tier List Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi : R7 3800X ‖ Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB ‖ EVGA 850W P2 ‖ Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue) ‖ Corsair ML Blue LED Fans ‖ Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

All Gaming PC : i7-8700k OC@5.0GHz (Delid) ‖ Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB ‖ EVGA 750W P2 ‖ Corsair H100i Pro ‖ Corsair ML RGB Fans ‖ Corsair Crystal 280x mATX Case

Mini Work PC: R7 1700 ‖ Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White) ‖ Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB ‖ Corsair SF 450W ‖ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB ‖ Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC : i7-6700k ‖ MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX ‖ G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU ‖ Cryorig C7 ‖ Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop: Dell XPS13 (2017) ‖ i7-7550U ‖ 16GB DDR3 RAM ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ 1TB NVME M.2 ‖ QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's: Big White

If you got 2 different models of fans that don't work (Stock cooler and Noctua) and 1 fan that doesn't (previous CPU cooler), I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is something weird with the latter. It might have damaged the pins on your board. I have 6 fans from Noctua and none of them have this issue.

This sounds like the fan running when the PWM pin isn't connnected.

Then when you plug it in properly the PWM pin is connected and the fan stops because it's getting low PWM signal.

Maybe check your motherboard's fan control settings in the BIOS or software.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

I tried messing with the fan settings with no success; The only way I've been able to use my pc right now is to disable the CPU minimum fan speed check, and to plug it into the pump header which causes it to spin at max speed.

However I just solved the problem. With a Bios update. I don't even know how that would even work, but it did. I just upgraded my rig today, and I thought I had updated to the latest BIOS via flashdrive but turns out I hadn't, so I just did that and all of a sudden my CPU fans started kicking in. Did not realize that a BIOS update could affect fans but I guess it kind of makes sense since my old fan that's almost 6 years old worked and the newer ones didn't. Anyways I'll marked this as solved now.