Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Turion 2

3500x same as 3500?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I've recently been thinking about a cpu upgrade from my 2600 to a 3500x or 3500. I was going to go with the 3500x but the 3500 has the same exact clock speed and cores. Since all ryzen processors come unlocked, and the X model doesn't have a clock speed difference, what is the difference? Is the only difference the slightly bigger cooler?

I don't think that's really worth it. Just wait for whatever they release in the summer.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't think that's really worth it. Just wait for whatever they release in the summer.

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. But I might upgrade if there's a decent sale on one of them.

I believe the 3500 and 3500x are identical in clock/boost frequencies, but the X I believe is a 32mb cache as opposed to 16.

If I'm not mistaken here as well, the 3500 is an OEM part.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

11 minutes ago, Semper said:

I believe the 3500 and 3500x are identical in clock/boost frequencies, but the X I believe is a 32mb cache as opposed to 16.

If I'm not mistaken here as well, the 3500 is an OEM part.

Yep, that's what I read, too. Can't find anything official for the 3500 though (only a 3500u notebook part). Here's the 3500x:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3500x

Note how it says "China only".

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

33 minutes ago, Turion 2 said:

So I've recently been thinking about a cpu upgrade from my 2600 to a 3500x or 3500. I was going to go with the 3500x but the 3500 has the same exact clock speed and cores. Since all ryzen processors come unlocked, and the X model doesn't have a clock speed difference, what is the difference? Is the only difference the slightly bigger cooler?

the proccesors are binned at i higher speed and i dont know if this a ryzen 7 thing but i think the 'x' series has hyperthreading

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

Its OEM+chinese market only so its hard to tell, i would image the only difference is cooler, but given how cheap you can get it eitherway (from aliexpress) one could argue either of them is best deal for a new gaming CPU you can get outside of used parts (yay wew used Xeons, wa-hay!)  Genuinely Ryzen 3000 performance for games, albeit you are trading potential with anything more serious, anything that can use hyperthreading properly. 

I imagine one buys this because they hope to upgrade later but wants great performance now, If one was this game-only minded i could almost argue going for a cheap i9-9400f with say Gigabyte z390 UD (best and only good cheap z390) and upgrading to 9700k, or maybe 9900k later, its same sort of min-maxing. just with Ryzen there is the hope Ryzen 4000 might bring gaming performance beyond what 9th gen intel can offer, but nobody can prove or knows if that will happen until it happens, its just cool to see 4 generations of CPUs on one socket

TLDR i wouldn't worry 3500 vs 3500x so long as the price is right. 

17 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Its OEM+chinese market only so its hard to tell, i would image the only difference is cooler, but given how cheap you can get it eitherway (from aliexpress) one could argue either of them is best deal for a new gaming CPU you can get outside of used parts (yay wew used Xeons, wa-hay!)  Genuinely Ryzen 3000 performance for games, albeit you are trading potential with anything more serious, anything that can use hyperthreading properly. 

I imagine one buys this because they hope to upgrade later but wants great performance now, If one was this game-only minded i could almost argue going for a cheap i9-9400f with say Gigabyte z390 UD (best and only good cheap z390) and upgrading to 9700k, or maybe 9900k later, its same sort of min-maxing. just with Ryzen there is the hope Ryzen 4000 might bring gaming performance beyond what 9th gen intel can offer, but nobody can prove or knows if that will happen until it happens, its just cool to see 4 generations of CPUs on one socket

TLDR i wouldn't worry 3500 vs 3500x so long as the price is right. 

Thanks for the detailed reply, the one thing that kinda limits me is the fact that I have to buy it overseas. I really don't need a new cpu  so I'll probably wait a few more months to see what ryzen 4 has to offer, like you said.