Which ram should I get

Go to solution Solved by Otto_iii,

Yes HyperX appears to be better and cheaper, but if you use it with slower speed, or higher latency RAM (latencies higher on Hyper X likely) it won't help though as mixing ram just reverts to both of the sticks using lowest speed and latencies, and if you are building this for games there is no point in going beyong 16gb, likely no need for it for the length of time DDR4 is relevant as even the most demanding games + windows 10 idle processes don't use more then about 10gb and you get no additional performance for extra capacity.  Main point don't worry about 32gb vs 16gb for gaming, and don't mix it with slower ram, sell your old ram on Ebay etc. 

1 hour ago, Limestone said:

4400MHz, also the reason why I made this post is that the HyperX is cheaper by like 40% and has a lower cas so I was wondering why that is.

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Check ALL the cas numbers.

Cheaper doesn't mean worse, its usually just about availability, Corsair could be older kit which hasn't adjusted for newer kits on the market with better price v performance.  19-23-23 Corsair vs CL19-21-21 HyperX at 4000mhz so far as i can find info for, HyperX seems like better all around kit, despite lower price.  

Paying for a overprice product doesn't make it better.

Hello! PC Hardware newbie here, right now I am using 4 sticks 8GB Trident Z 3200MHZ and I am planning on upgrading. My question is even though they are the same speed whys one much more expensive than the other one? Is it because one is CL17 and the other is CL19 also whats the difference? Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.ca/HyperX-Predator-Technology-HX440C19PB3AK2-16/dp/B07GMZKNK6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=28P2S72HWKII4&keywords=corsair+dominator+platinum+4000mhz&qid=1576038338&sprefix=corsair+dominator+platinum+4%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Vengeance-4000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07D1TT7RN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=28P2S72HWKII4&keywords=corsair+dominator+platinum+4000mhz&qid=1576038338&sprefix=corsair+dominator+platinum+4%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-4

Specs:

9900k at 5GHz

2080TI

32GB Trident Z at 3400

RM850X

Yes.  That’s exactly why.  As more MHz is better so is lower cas number.  It’s not the only one though.  As MHz go up so does cas number.  There are 4 numbers though, and it’s possible to lower the first while raising the others to make slower ram look faster as long as you don’t pay attention to all 4 numbers.  The very fastest 3600mhz ram is 16-16-16-36.  Expensive stuff.  For 3200 though fast is cas 14.  Gonna cost almost what the 3600mhz cas 16 stuff does because it’s basically the same parts.

as far as ram goes brand names aren’t very useful.  What matters is the brand names under the heat sink.  What chips are ON the ram

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Limestone said:

Hello! PC Hardware newbie here, right now I am using 4 sticks 8GB Trident Z 3200MHZ and I am planning on upgrading. My question is even though they are the same speed whys one much more expensive than the other one? Is it because one is CL17 and the other is CL19 also whats the difference? Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.ca/HyperX-Predator-Technology-HX440C19PB3AK2-16/dp/B07GMZKNK6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=28P2S72HWKII4&keywords=corsair+dominator+platinum+4000mhz&qid=1576038338&sprefix=corsair+dominator+platinum+4%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-Vengeance-4000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07D1TT7RN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=28P2S72HWKII4&keywords=corsair+dominator+platinum+4000mhz&qid=1576038338&sprefix=corsair+dominator+platinum+4%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-4

Specs:

9900k at 5GHz

2080TI

32GB Trident Z at 3400

RM850X

Ok first of all, you wouldn't want to add ram of a different type to the existing ram. The Corsair isn't really better in a way to justify the almost 2x cost. That difference of a CAS latency wouldn't cost you 100's of dollars.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Just now, food158 said:

Ok first of all, you wouldn't want to add ram of a different type to the existing ram. The Corsair isn't really better in a way to justify the almost 2x cost. That difference of a CAS latency wouldn't cost you 100's of dollars.

I am not adding those and mix with my tridentZ, I am planning on buying 2x 16gb kits. Alright so are you saying I should get the HyperX?

1 minute ago, Limestone said:

I am not adding those and mix with my tridentZ, I am planning on buying 2x 16gb kits. Alright so are you saying I should get the HyperX?

Wait... this is intel.  Memory doesn’t matter for intel the way it does for AMD.  Your gains from better memory will be minimal.  Get the cheap stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Wait... this is intel.  Memory doesn’t matter for intel the way it does for AMD.  Your gains from better memory will be minimal.  Get the cheap stuff.

I know this sounds silly but I really want to get the best I can for my system

1 minute ago, Limestone said:

I know this sounds silly but I really want to get the best I can for my system

Not here it doesn’t. It’s your money.  
High MHz low cas then.  See what the highest MHz your board will take is and use that.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Not here it doesn’t. It’s your money.  
High MHz low cas then.  See what the highest MHz your board will take is and use that.

4400MHz, also the reason why I made this post is that the HyperX is cheaper by like 40% and has a lower cas so I was wondering why that is.

9 minutes ago, Limestone said:

Yes HyperX appears to be better and cheaper, but if you use it with slower speed, or higher latency RAM (latencies higher on Hyper X likely) it won't help though as mixing ram just reverts to both of the sticks using lowest speed and latencies, and if you are building this for games there is no point in going beyong 16gb, likely no need for it for the length of time DDR4 is relevant as even the most demanding games + windows 10 idle processes don't use more then about 10gb and you get no additional performance for extra capacity.  Main point don't worry about 32gb vs 16gb for gaming, and don't mix it with slower ram, sell your old ram on Ebay etc. 

1 hour ago, Limestone said:

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Cheaper doesn't mean worse, its usually just about availability, Corsair could be older kit which hasn't adjusted for newer kits on the market with better price v performance.  19-23-23 Corsair vs CL19-21-21 HyperX at 4000mhz so far as i can find info for, HyperX seems like better all around kit, despite lower price.  

Paying for a overprice product doesn't make it better.