Is it me or the monitor? blurry text va 1440p, 144hz

AspidistraHats

Just bought a new monitor, Samsung lc27J952 and I'm not sure if it's bad or I just haven't found the right settings. I'm ready to return to my old, dim probably not even a tn because of the eyestrain.  I'm totally new to adjusting monitors so please talk to me slowly. ;)  It's a VA panel, no variable refresh at all that I can tell. I have a geforce 1080 mini. 

Main and most annoying issue: windows text is blurry.  I've turned cleartype on/off/messed with it, doesn't seem to help. The samples look pretty much identically bad throughout. Font size and resolution set to normal/100%  All the 'game modes' (rpg/rts etc) have the same issue. Fiddling with contrast/gamma doesn't seem to do anything. Some fonts are much worse than others (see the notepad document in pic) but they all have this weird random bolding or fading. Sometimes there's a very blurry 'glow' as visible on 'library' in the picture. 

So far I have: All accessibility options reset to zero, put sharpness to 100 and 0, turned 'samsung upscale' on and off reset the monitor's settings to factory, updated my video card drivers. There doesn't seem to be a specific monitor driver.

Any suggestions? Is there anywhere I can download one of those fancy ICC profiles?

thanks in advance

blurry desktop small.jpg

What flavor gpu you got? AMD, Nvidia, intel(iGPU)?  I’m suspecting your monitor isn’t running at Native resolution.  I had this problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What flavor gpu you got? AMD, Nvidia, intel(iGPU)?  I’m suspecting your monitor isn’t running at Native resolution.  I had this problem.

Did you fix it? I have an nvidia geforce 1080 mini. Windows says it's running at native 1440x 2560

3 minutes ago, AspidistraHats said:

Did you fix it? I have an nvidia geforce 1080 mini. Windows says it's running at native 1440x 2560

Doesn’t look like it from the pic.  I may be wrong though.  Nvidia uses GeForce experience iirc.  It’s horrible software unless you got windows 10

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It really does look like it's the wrong resolution but everything says it's not. Thanks for the scaling advice, I will play with it more. I have iffy vision and usually have everything cranked up but the magnifier and high scaling was making the text worse.