Just upgraded to 240hz from 144hz

Rakanoth

I just upgraded to 240hz from 144hz. It is so good. And people are still debating online if it is worth upgrading to 240hz from 144hz :D The difference is big. :)

I am playing CS GO, R6S and Overwatch extremely competitively and the games are much more fun now. People who say the difference is small between 240hz and 144hz are probably not try-hards like me. (I am plat 1 R6S, FaceIt lvl 7 in CS Go and Plat in Overwatch )

When you are scanning an area in R6S while ADS'd (aim down sighted), you can gather much more information and you can really concentrate better on 240hz. Also, tracing objects and players are much easier.

My old monitor was Asus PG279Q. The new one Acer XN253Q.

There might be additional factors that are also improving the experience such as lower pixel response time and less input lag on the monitor side. I know I personally can't see much difference between a high end 144hz and 240hz monitor, but i might not be a try-hard.

33 minutes ago, Velcade said:

But you downgraded from 1440p to 1080p

Yes, this is of course true. But I can concentrate better on a smaller screen. While using a bigger screen, I have to sit farther away and this impacts negatively on my concentration.

On the other hand, there are times when it is easier to distinguish enemy players on a 1440p. A suitable example might be Battlefield type of shooter games. 

Would have been better if it were an apples to apples comparison.

However u've gone form a IPS to a TN panel, substantially less ghosting/blur.

Combined with BFI the moving picture resolution will be better on the XN253Q. ofc the static resolution is less due to the downgrade to 1080p.

I'm not arguing that the XN253Q isnt better for ur use case, im just saying the reason for it being better isnt only down to being 240hz.

The frame time difference between 144hz and 240hz is ~2.78ms. The difference in the 'average 80% transition speed between the 2 monitors u mention is also ~2ms. They both matter, the pixel speed more so than most people realize.

One thing u 'might' find useful if u want to offset that resolution downgrade, would be to increase ur render resolution (DSR).

Most people dont know this but 1080p panels are never used to their full potential in regards to resolution. You can play games above 1080p on a 1080p display and get a better image because playing a game at 1080p doesn't result in rendering everything 1:1 in regards to monitor pixels.

Playing a game at 4k on a 1080p monitor looks substantially better and shows more detail than playing it at 1080p.

if u have the GPU power to spare, give it a try.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, Rakanoth said:

people are still debating online if it is worth upgrading to 240hz from 144hz

Unless I have equipment to play any commercially available game at 240FPS / max settings it's not worth it because it's literally unplayable to me. refresh rate = frame rate or no deal 

I can live without nausea and headaches constantly tvym. 

To each their own tho of course! 

PS: yes I'm aware 240 is divisible by 60 but what's the point.... 

It's at least better than 144 I guess!  ?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Velcade said:

But you downgraded from 1440p to 1080p

you don’t have to,

theres 1440p 240Hz too. 

Oh yeah it sure is a difference, definitely feels more smoother, especially when scene is frantic with your camera movement. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Knight77 said:

you don’t have to,

theres 1440p 240Hz too. 

I never said he had to, I said he did.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Not everyone is good at games. 

We need bottom feeders though. 

240hz on 1080 is quite nice though. Sucks I can’t get as much use out of a 1440 144hz monitor as I’d like. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz