Long-distance wireless peripherals

aardvard

I'm setting up a conference room with a huge TV as a monitor, and one issue is that the existing wireless keyboard and mouse are kind of spotty at different ends of the room, or if there are people between it and the wall.  And there's a USB-powered meeting camera system thing that needs to get plugged in.

What could I do?  Some kind of heavy-duty bluetooth antenna?  Are wireless USB hubs a thing?

Part of the issue is the signal the pieces are using.  If they’re actually WiFi a WiFi repeater would work. If they’re actually bluetooth a Bluetooth repeater would work (they exist) If it’s something proprietary though, and many things are, you may be SOL.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Route a USB extender cable to the center of the area you'll be using it on the ceiling and plug receiver dongle there ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Route a USB extender cable to the center of the area you'll be using it on the ceiling and plug receiver dongle there ?

That would probably work too, good idea!  Only falls short for wired-only appliances like the meeting owl.

I really wanted to run a USB hub - the only issue is that the table sometimes gets moved and the floor is that really flat anti-static carpeting over concrete, so there's no way to really hide the cable.

I could apparently encapsulate USB over ethernet and have a wifi-connected intel NUC or similar, under the table, connected to a USB hub to facilitate sharing USB devices to the source workstation mounted to the wall, but only two companies offer this usb-over-ethernet encapsulation and I haven't seen any reviews for them (mainly in terms of bandwidth for video streaming and response times on the keyboard/mouse).

Can you attach stuff to the ceiling?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:36 PM, Bombastinator said:

Can you attach stuff to the ceiling?

Yep, I think what we're going to do is run a USB cable through the wall and into the drop-ceiling, then plug a bluetooth adapter into it.

2 hours ago, aardvard said:

Yep, I think what we're going to do is run a USB cable through the wall and into the drop-ceiling, then plug a bluetooth adapter into it.

Cool!  Drop ceiling.  You can run more than one if you need to then.  That’s handy!