Best Ram and configuration tipps on Ryzen Thredripper 3970x build

Hi everybody,

my first post here, so I hope this finds you well. I'm currently building a new workstation for 3D (A. Maya, Houdini), Edit (Davinci Resolve), Comp (Nuke) work. I already bought the new Ryzen Thredripper 3970x and now looking into all other components. I'm looking for tipps and improvements. My biggest current questions are RAM, Thunderbold 3 and custom CPU Watercooling. I first start with what I collected so far.

CPU: AMD Thredripper 3970X

CPU Cooler: ? (Cusom Watercooling or AiO?)

Motherboard: Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS Extreme or Asos Zenith II Extreme (depending on your recommendations)

Memory: 128GB DDR4 RAM (I'm not sure if I should choose "4x32GB" or "8x16GB" more to that below)

Storage M.2: 2x  Samsung 870 EVO Plus 2TB M.2

Storage HDD: 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 10TB (already in use)

Storage SSD: 4x Samsung 860 Pro 4TB (already in use as RAID but don't necessarily need to be in the build)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB AORUS XTREME Waterforce (I want to insert a second 2080Ti later on)

Power Supply: ? (I think I need around 1300 W so I'm currently looking into the "SeaSonic Prime Modular 1300W Platinum")

PCIe-Card 01: Blackmagic Mini Monitor (already in use)

PCIe-Card 02: Intel SPF+ 10Gbe Network Card (already in use)

Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 (already in use)

What RAM would you recommend for a Ryzen Threadripper 3970X with a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme? I'm looking for 128GB of RAM.

Just to have it more future proof and upgradeable in the future I think I would prefer 4 Slots á 32GB than 8 Slots á 16GB.

Is it an advantage to use 4 Slots because the processor doesn't have to work as hard or do you think 8 is the better choice even if it's not that future proof?

Also most of the new G.Skill Ram is still not available so there are not a lot of 32GB RAM Sticks out there. For sure I would love to use the highest Mhz frequency the Systems allows (3200Mhz?). I heard there are limitations depending on how much slots you use bud didn't find informations about it online). 

Working in film and commercial always means MacBookPros on set and a lot of TB3 devices around. What are my best options to implement Thunderbold 3 with my Threadripper 3970X? (I usually wanted to buy the Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME or the ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme)

I haven't started looking into custom Watercooling for this CPU yet. I don't want to spend more than 650 for cooling.

Thank you for all your help. All tipps and tricks are welcome as I'm only on a basic knowledge level! So thankful for everything.

47 minutes ago, Bennik88 said:

Hi everybody,

my first post here, so I hope this finds you well. I'm currently building a new workstation for 3D (A. Maya, Houdini), Edit (Davinci Resolve), Comp (Nuke) work. I already bought the new Ryzen Thredripper 3970x and now looking into all other components. I'm looking for tipps and improvements. My biggest current questions are RAM, Thunderbold 3 and custom CPU Watercooling. I first start with what I collected so far.

CPU: AMD Thredripper 3970X

CPU Cooler: ? (Cusom Watercooling or AiO?)

Motherboard: Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS Extreme or Asos Zenith II Extreme (depending on your recommendations)

Memory: 128GB DDR4 RAM (I'm not sure if I should choose "4x32GB" or "8x16GB" more to that below)

Storage M.2: 2x  Samsung 870 EVO Plus 2TB M.2

Storage HDD: 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 10TB (already in use)

Storage SSD: 4x Samsung 860 Pro 4TB (already in use as RAID but don't necessarily need to be in the build)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB AORUS XTREME Waterforce (I want to insert a second 2080Ti later on)

Power Supply: ? (I think I need around 1300 W so I'm currently looking into the "SeaSonic Prime Modular 1300W Platinum")

PCIe-Card 01: Blackmagic Mini Monitor (already in use)

PCIe-Card 02: Intel SPF+ 10Gbe Network Card (already in use)

Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 (already in use)

What RAM would you recommend for a Ryzen Threadripper 3970X with a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme? I'm looking for 128GB of RAM.

Just to have it more future proof and upgradeable in the future I think I would prefer 4 Slots á 32GB than 8 Slots á 16GB.

Is it an advantage to use 4 Slots because the processor doesn't have to work as hard or do you think 8 is the better choice even if it's not that future proof?

Also most of the new G.Skill Ram is still not available so there are not a lot of 32GB RAM Sticks out there. For sure I would love to use the highest Mhz frequency the Systems allows (3200Mhz?). I heard there are limitations depending on how much slots you use bud didn't find informations about it online). 

Working in film and commercial always means MacBookPros on set and a lot of TB3 devices around. What are my best options to implement Thunderbold 3 with my Threadripper 3970X? (I usually wanted to buy the Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME or the ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme)

I haven't started looking into custom Watercooling for this CPU yet. I don't want to spend more than 650 for cooling.

Thank you for all your help. All tipps and tricks are welcome as I'm only on a basic knowledge level! So thankful for everything.

3200mhz is a good spot because as your mhz speed gets faste your cas rate gets higher (lower cas is better) but its hard to find 3200mhz 32 gb sticks 

you wont get much performance boost (or any at all) depending on mobo from 8 lanes

try corsair vengeance 3000mhz 16 cas, decent price for good ram 

thats one hell of a system btw

i would recommend custom loop if you have the money and skill to do that, you can get better temps on custom loops with multiple rads, threadrippers are spicy bois 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Looking for 32GB sticks I only found the following:

4 sticks - RipJaws V Series, DDR4-3200, CL16 - 128 GB Quad-Kit (CL 16-18-18-38)

4 sticks - Corsair DIMM 128 GB DDR4-2666 Quad-Kit (CL16 18-18-35) 

4 sticks - Corsair DIMM 128 GB DDR4-2666 Quad-Kit RGB (CL16 18-18-35)

*I'm not sure, can I simply combine two 64GB Kits? I heard a while ago that you shouldn't do it as they're programmed to work as pair

2 sticks - Corsair DIMM 64 GB DDR4-3600 Kit RGB (CL18 22-22-42)

2 sticks - Corsair DIMM 64 GB DDR4-3200 (Kit CL16 20-20-38)

2 sticks - Corsair DIMM 64 GB DDR4-3000 Kit (CL16 20-20-38) 

16GB sticks there are plenty to choose from. Are they a better choice? Still a mystery if its better to have 8x 16GB or 4x 32GB?

One example would be:

8 sticks - G.Skill DIMM 128 GB DDR4-3200 Octo-Kit Trident Z RGB(CL15 15-15-35)

And thank you ;)

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2019 at 3:58 PM, Bennik88 said:

No one with tipps or answers? ?

I am looking for myself to do a ram upgrade from 16GB to 128GB. There are several ram kits that support quad channel and can work together in 8 sticks. The QVL list from Asus has everything in it. But, it has to be exact those ones from the list tho. I saw some RipJaws from G.Skill that have quad and octa sets. Those should be compatible with the Threadripper 2950x and this motherboard.

For as far i looked it up and did the research around it, it should work. If you compare it to this QVL list from Asus.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_QVL/

What i don't know is.. Are there more up to date lists then this one, i hope there are.

This is what i found. Hope it helps.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1535686644/F4-2400C15Q2-128GVRRipjaws-VDDR4-2400MHz-CL15-15-15-35-1.20V128GB-(8x16GB)

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/172/1535622124/F4-2400C14Q2-128GRKRipjaws-4DDR4-2400MHz-CL14-14-14-34-1.20V128GB-(8x16GB)

Kind regards

Oliver.