Increasing dedicated video memory

So I have a bit of a problem. 

I'm currently working on getting all the necessary parts for a PC but that may take me a couple of years to finish. For now though, I have a laptop with about 8GB of RAM. At the moment, only 128MB of memory is dedicated to video. Would it be possible to increase this? 

11 minutes ago, obeenham said:

So I have a bit of a problem.

It will automatically increase itself as you put it under load, probably to a max of 2GBs

Could always just toss an RX 470 into a used business machine with an i7 2600K and be fine for 1080p gaming.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It will automatically increase itself as you put it under load, probably to a max of 2GBs

Could always just toss an RX 470 into a used business machine with an i7 2600K and be fine for 1080p gaming.

except you missed the part about it being a laptop, not desktop. :)

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Have you checked your bios settings, and is it dedicated or intel video card?

30 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Streetguru was implying buying a cheap office toss-away and throwing a decent GPU in it. The classic stop-gap.

47 minutes ago, obeenham said:

I'm currently working on getting all the necessary parts for a PC but that may take me a couple of years to finish.

I hope you're not already buying parts. If you take years (or even months) to afford a complete build, exceptionally monumental unreal deals aside, it's seriously best to just be patient and keep your money. Parts get outdated quickly, prices drop, it makes no sense to buy parts just to make them sit and gather dust.

dp 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, tatte said:

I hope you're not already buying parts. If you take years (or even months) to afford a complete build, exceptionally monumental unreal deals aside, it's seriously best to just be patient and keep your money. Parts get outdated quickly, prices drop, it makes no sense to buy parts just to make them sit and gather dust.

Yeah I agree with that... buying parts and let them sit for however long doesn't make any sense as they'll be seriously outdated after a few years and you also can't test them so if they're defective when the build is *finally* made you're completely out of luck as no warranty will cover them anymore (with exceptions like RAM possibly) 

Also I don't think it's possible to increase those 128MB since as I understand it that is the Vram on the chip and as such impossible to increase,  what will happen is that it will use system RAM to help the chip if needed, which is honestly OK for these kind of iGPUs,  they're not exactly powerful but good enough to play some not demanding games,  there's no reason to tinker with them as they're already functional and optimized as is and that can't, to my knowledge, be changed.

I just recently played a game from 2004 on my Intel iGPU,  800FPS,  lol, not too shabby I would say! 

Of course this will look different for more modern and demanding titles,  which an Intel iGPU is obviously unsuited for at reasonable settings and framerates. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, tatte said:

Streetguru was implying buying a cheap office toss-away and throwing a decent GPU in it. The classic stop-gap.

Thanks for the advice. I guess i'll do that. Should I get the basics that probably won't change such as a case and motherboard? Seeing as i'm not looking for the best of the best I don't see why an updated motherboard would put me behind too much.

7 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That's my problem. The value is not increasing no matter what I do. It will just stay at 128MB even when playing a modern title such as R6 Siege

7 hours ago, titix2002 said:

Have you checked your bios settings, and is it dedicated or intel video card?

My BIOS doesn't have an option for it, I've looked and its dedicated graphics (Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500)