First time build, suggestions are welcome!

Aim: Play games at high resolution and fps --> Pubg, Dota, COD, World of Warcraft, CS:GO, maybe try some AAA titles in the future but mostly multiplayer games.

Components:

MOB: ASUS Maximus XI Hero Wifi

CPU: Intel i7-9700k

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080ti

RAM: GSkill Trident Z 4x8GB 3200 CL16

PSU: Corsair HX850

SSD: Samsung 1 TB 970 Pro

HDD: 2TB Seagate 7200 rpm / 2TB Western Digital Black Series

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x72

Case: Cooler Master C700P

Monitor: I would like to know from someone who has played on curved monitors, if playing on ultra wide curved monitor is better than a flat monitor or not? At the moment I am inclined towards ASUS pg279q and am open to suggestions. I have following requirements from my monitor

• 2560x1440 (or 3440 x 1440 if playing on ultra wide has more merit)
  • 100+ refresh rate
  • IPS
  • G-sync

UPS: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Speaker: Open to suggestions but probably something which I can get in India (I am from India).

Keyboard: Open to suggestions. 

I might SLI in distant future if Nvidia is able to fix performance scaling with it, otherwise no.

I would like your comments on:

- Whether the entire rig is compatible with each other

- PSU: Not considering SLI, is my choice - Not enough? enough? Over the top?

- CPU Cooler: I think its compatible with my case choice.

- HDD: any particular advantage seagate or WD have over each other?

- Am I missing something?

I am hoping to start ordering parts by the end of the year and get the setup up and running by mid January, depending on when the parts get delivered.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edit: I will get a second monitor a year or 2 down the line without any other upgrades to the setup as a whole.

Edited by Sylvanar

3950X instead of the 9700K, its faster I think. Also isnt this all a tiny bit overkill for the games you want to play?

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

4 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

3950X instead of the 9700K, its faster I think. Also isnt this all a tiny bit overkill for the games you want to play?

CPU is less of a bottleneck at 1440p, but yes. 3950X is faster, but it's too overkill and not faster than the $250 cheaper 3900X in games. An even better option would be the $300 or so R7 3700X, it's almost on par with the 9700K in single core, and has 8c/16t so it'll do multitasking better. 

I'd also recommend 3600Mhz CL16 RAM, it's gotten much cheaper, and helps performance on both Intel and AMD rigs so whichever way you swing it'll be a plus. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

27 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

For Dota it is but for playing Pubg, Wow at high res and fps I dont think it is overkill at ultra settings. Also, I will be getting a second monitor a year or so later with similar if not better specs without any other upgrades to the entire setup.

Edit: You cant say its overkill and then go on to suggest $500 more expensive processor ?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I am more inclined towards intel setup. I think unless I find something better I will go with your monitor suggestion. Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

CPU is less of a bottleneck at 1440p, but yes. 3950X is faster, but it's too overkill and not faster than the $250 cheaper 3900X in games. An even better option would be the $300 or so R7 3700X, it's almost on par with the 9700K in single core, and has 8c/16t so it'll do multitasking better. 

I'd also recommend 3600Mhz CL16 RAM, it's gotten much cheaper, and helps performance on both Intel and AMD rigs so whichever way you swing it'll be a plus. 

Again, I am inclined towards intel setup. I was actually going for GSkill trident z royal 4x8GB sticks. I couldnt find 3600Mhz CL16 in the list, but if I do manage to find it I will definitely buy those. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Sylvanar said:

I am more inclined towards intel setup. I think unless I find something better I will go with your monitor suggestion

Any reason for that? AMD has a slightly better value right now for what they are handing out, and then AM4 is supported for the next year while intel's current lineup is going to be wiped out within the next 4-5 months.

I use an ultrawide display, and that is one of the best options to go with right now.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Sylvanar said:

I am more inclined towards intel setup. I think unless I find something better I will go with your monitor suggestion. Thanks.

Again, I am inclined towards intel setup. I was actually going for GSkill trident z royal 4x8GB sticks. I couldnt find 3600Mhz CL16 in the list, but if I do manage to find it I will definitely buy those. Thanks.

4 sticks just for aesthetics? If you don't have to have the 4 DIMM look (which I do understand, it's gorgeous), then 2 DIMMs is always better for higher clocks with less stability issues, due to being lighter on the IMC (although I've seen some stuff about that actually differing depending on the topology of the motherboard's RAM slots). 

If you're sticking with Intel, you're almost bang on. Gigabyte mobos offer better value (and much better VRMs for the price) and the SX8200 Pro from ADATA is a very good value (slightly faster than the normal 970 Evo, a good bit cheaper) if you wanna take a look at those. Nothing wrong with your build list if you wanna leave it the way it is though. Solid choices all round. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I have played on a curved monitor, the Asus PG348Q, for +2 years. It definitely looks pretty but I am going back to my old 16:9 monitor simply because you can't really see everything on the ultra wide. If you can use it for work to multitask or have any other good reason to have a wide monitor you can go with it but if it's for gaming I think you should stick to 16:9.

Remember that you're able to focus better on a smaller area so if you're playing something where you have to act fast like on WoW you're gonna be better off with a normal monitor but if you just play immersion games like Witcher 3 I guess you can go with the ultra wide.

7 hours ago, Slottr said:

Any reason for that? AMD has a slightly better value right now for what they are handing out, and then AM4 is supported for the next year while intel's current lineup is going to be wiped out within the next 4-5 months.

I use an ultrawide display, and that is one of the best options to go with right now.

Lets say I chose to go with amd, then wouldn't it be better to use amd gpu as well? I am from cs background and dabble in CUDA programming...amd gpu dont support CUDA but Nvidia gpu support openCL. Btw what do you mean by intel's current line up is going to be wiped out in next 4-5 months?

4 minutes ago, Sylvanar said:

Lets say I chose to go with amd, then wouldn't it be better to use amd gpu as well? I am from cs background and dabble in CUDA programming...amd gpu dont support CUDA but Nvidia gpu support openCL. Btw what do you mean by intel's current line up is going to be wiped out in next 4-5 months?

There’s no correlation between cpu and GPU support. So don’t worry about that. Seems to be a common misconception. 

Intel will have new chips release soon here, which will kill the lifecycle of z370/z390. 

12 hours ago, Sylvanar said:

For Dota it is but for playing Pubg, Wow at high res and fps I dont think it is overkill at ultra settings. Also, I will be getting a second monitor a year or so later with similar if not better specs without any other upgrades to the entire setup.

Edit: You cant say its overkill and then go on to suggest $500 more expensive processor ?

If your spending that much money, you can spend more :)

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.