My Two bad choices in gpus

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I am aware.  One problem with the pin/port thing though is not all things that have the dual link port are actually dual link.  Apparently some people making single link stuff use dual link ports simply because it’s cheaper

True, but for all intent and purposes the only thing that matters is if analog or digital. Dual vs single only matters when you want to push high refresh rates.

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

True, but for all intent and purposes the only thing that matters is if analog or digital. Dual vs single only matters when you want to push high refresh rates.

Or higher than 1080p. The monitor is 1440p.  It will also do 144hz.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So: updates if anyone cares: 

I developed the idea that what might be making the 580 not display was that it was thinking the test monitor was still connected and nothing was even being sent through the DVI port.  I used a dvi-DisplayPort cable to connect the big crossover monitor to the 580 giving me low Rez, but then I turned it off, and replaced the cable with the dL-dviD to dL-dvid cable and lo and behold it worked!  So the rx580 DOES have  dL-dviD that works.  Next step was to get native Rez.  I ran AMD custom display resolution and by typing in 2560, 1600, and choosing “CMT with (something)” I was able to get full Rez @60hz. Next step is to see if it will drive a game.

this means it’s possible the 5700xt would have worked in the first place and I merely did something stupid.  Oh well.  That ship has sailed.  The cheap 5700xts are no longer available at microcenter.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.