help with port forwarding

okay so I've watched 4 youtube videos on how to make you own Rust game server and it looks pretty easy, i did get it working Locality perfectly fine but i'm having issues with port forwarding to make the server public

i made a second computer for my Rust game server, lets call this computer #2
pc#2 is connected to my Belkin router and i have port forwarding enabled for the game/server correctly but i have the Belkin router connected to my Net gear Modem/Router on the over side of the house i'm having trouble getting port forwarding to work and to make the server public so my friends can join. 

when i try and enable port forwarding on the Netgear router/modem i get this error message 
Invalid Data. Internal IP Address is not in LAN! 

also what do i need to input for 

Internal IP address  
External IP Address

any and all help is welcome (see uploaded image)

help.JPG

This is a complicated one...

So assuming router 1 (Netgear) is 192.168.0.1 and router 2 (Belkin) is 192.168.1.1 you would need to make a rule on the Netgear that forwards all traffic (all ports on TCP & UDP) to 192.168.1.1. You can try making that IP the DMZ if you want but in my experience DMZ never works as it should.

Once that's done then on the Belkin you should forward the ports for rust to the servers internal IP address. You should be able to leave the external port empty.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i cant get the DMZ to work on the Netgear, and/or the port forwarding. it looks like i'll need new hardware/config if i want to host my rust server.

i'll give this post 2 days then mark it as solved unless i can get more input on what to do

This should be in the Network forum rather than Server & NAS.

Why are you using 2 routers? are you using one as a wireless repeater? 

You shouldn't typically be using more than 1 router, as routers are for routing between subnets. Are you using 2 different subnets?

How are the 2 routers physically connected? If using ethernet which ports are you using? 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

This should be in the Network forum rather than Server & NAS.

Why are you using 2 routers? are you using one as a wireless repeater? 

You shouldn't typically be using more than 1 router, as routers are for routing between subnets. Are you using 2 different subnets?

How are the 2 routers physically connected? If using ethernet which ports are you using? 

i was debating on witch place to post this, since i was trying to configure a Rust Server i decided to post here.

i have a modem/router with 2 ports (NETGEAR C3700-100NAS ) with a separate 5 port switch off to the side for 2 other computers

for the second floor i have a 50ft ethernet cord running to the main floor on the other side of the home for the Belkin router model F9K1113 v4

i don't know much about networking or servers but yes i have 2 subnets somehow, and somehow they all work together 

i'd love to get the wi-fi on the same page(SSID) also if possible 

should i make a post in Networking?

6 hours ago, officedemon said:

i was debating on witch place to post this, since i was trying to configure a Rust Server i decided to post here.

i have a modem/router with 2 ports (NETGEAR C3700-100NAS ) with a separate 5 port switch off to the side for 2 other computers

for the second floor i have a 50ft ethernet cord running to the main floor on the other side of the home for the Belkin router model F9K1113 v4

i don't know much about networking or servers but yes i have 2 subnets somehow, and somehow they all work together 

i'd love to get the wi-fi on the same page(SSID) also if possible 

should i make a post in Networking?

Right so this should really have been in Networking because i don't think your network is setup properly. 

Because you're running 2 different subnets, you're getting double NAT'd. This also explains why you're getting invalid IP address errors because the IP is out of range to the gateway on your router, or the IP address doesnt exist in ARP. 

So as @Master Disaster already pointed out, in this scenario you need to do 2 port forwards.

You need to do a port forward on your Netgear from Internet > IP address of Belkin Router. 

Then in the Belkin Router do a port forward from there to PC#2

This might help explain it: https://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

Ideally you probably want to "correct" your network, by plugging the Belkin into the Netgear via the LAN port rather than the WAN port and using it a "dumb router"...essentially just using the switch functionality of it and having it all on the same subnet (e.g 192.168.1.1/24). That will avoid the double NAT situation. 

As far as Wifi, you can normally just create the same SSID name & PSK on both routers and your devices should normally connect to which ever is strongest. it wont handover sessions like a mesh, but if you disconnect and reconnect you can roam from 1 to the other. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA