SSD heatsink on Asus TUF x570 gaming plus

So I am building my first PC this Christmas. I got an asus tuf x570 plus motherboard and I have now been looking at M.2 SSDs. I was wondering if I need to buy my SSD with a heat sink or if my motherboard comes with one? Are SSD heatsinks really necessary? 

The SSD I have been looking at is:  Western Digital black SN750 NVME M.2 500GB

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not could you point me to another website I could use?

5 minutes ago, Anthony Eroukov said:

So I am building my first solo PC this Christmas. I got an asus tuf x570 plus motherboard and I have now been looking at M.2 SSDs. I was wondering if I need to buy my SSD with a heat sink or if my motherboard comes with one? Are SSD heatsinks really necessary? 

The SSD I have been looking at is:  Western Digital black SN750 NVME M.2 500GB

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not could you point me to another website I could use?

Hello,

The TUF plus x570 doesn't come with heatsink. But unless you do a lot of file tranfer you won't need a heatsink ;) 

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 Otherwise this one is the same but with the heatsink.

No.

I use a 2tb 970 EVO and it does not get hot even running SSD benches.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

maybe just keep an eye on the temps of the ssd, and see if it gets hot enough to warrant a heatsink, otherwise you can maybe try to blow air overtop the ssd if the location is doable.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/does-nvme-ssd-need-heatsink/

Do NVMe SSDs need heatsinks? Our answer would be a resounding YES. While it is easy to install and forget about your NVMe SSD, these drives can and will overheat critically even during normal day-to-day use. The high performance ceiling of these drives makes it difficult to feel the effects of thermal throttling, but prolonged exposure to such high temperatures does not bode well for longevity.

If your motherboard doesn’t come with an M.2 SSD heatsink, you might want to look at aftermarket options. At $18 and free shipping, the Barrow M.2 OLED Heatsink makes a compelling case for itself. The brilliant OLED temperature display is a cherry on the cake. An investment of $18 doesn’t sound bad if you’ve already forked out well over ten times as much on a new M.2 NVMe SSD.

I've been reading up on heat sinks for NVMe SSD and eventually came to conclusion that it's not really needed. Looking at the ones I have I think its just to cover up those ugly warranty stickers that stand out like a sore thumb. I might just peel the sticker off from the one I have had for 11 months.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, amdorintel said:

maybe just keep an eye on the temps of the ssd, and see if it gets hot enough to warrant a heatsink, otherwise you can maybe try to blow air overtop the ssd if the location is doable.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/does-nvme-ssd-need-heatsink/

The short answer is... a heatsink is NOT a good idea... Actually can be harmful. 

I'm going to tend to lean toward the opinion of the forefront expert in this field, Allyn Malventan of Intel/ PCper...  The NAND prefers to be warmer while doing writes. A point of thermal throttle is rear to hit.

"JEDEC rates SSD with an operating temp of 40C. If the flash is forced to room temp 25C then with the same amount of writing done at the lower temp (room temp) the end of LIFE retention time WILL BE CUT IN 1/2. An M.2 SSD without a heatsink will naturally rise above ambient. Same goes for SSD's with heat spreaders and heat spreading labels they just spread the heat more evenly which is better for endurance since the flash will run slightly warmer, even at idle.

The heatsink/ waterblock problem. The goal is to prevent thermal throttling which is a controller issue, not a flash issue. Flash LOVES to be HOT while operating specifically during writes as that is what causes the wear. 

A heatsink/ waterblock should only contact the controller and NOT the flash.