nintendo switch letdown and issues

rabbitanarchy14
Go to solution Solved by OutLox,

In my opinion the Nintendo switch is a amazing console for what it is. But it does have its draw backs for instance its third party support is weak and I feel like Nintendo has been terrible at first party support as well. Most people I talk to tell me the switch has plenty first party games which is true if you never owned a wii u before. It feels like most of the system sellers switch has to offer can be found else where for cheaper. But you can't find another console that you can play doom 2016 on the go with. 

so i bought a switch on black friday thinking it was a more powerful newer 3ds xl for me, wow wrong in everyway.  first off there is no mp3 player but yet 3ds had one and vita had one not to mention ALL of the current consoles have this ability built in. It is easy and should be included in the os. the same applies to a music app, like omg they put a headphone jack in and left out the 2 big reasons to need in on a portable device = Media consumption. then you find out it does not have netflix or plex which also the 3ds had and all the other real consoles out there do. there store page looks horrible and has way to many layers and not enough sorting.  You have to have 3 logins ,forum for support, a nintendo ID, and a switch account, this is redundant and asinine. as a gaming device only it is powerful and impressed me. as a gaming console released in 2018 it is seriously lacking feature that the company has put into their devises before but now are incapable. they do tell you that you can purchase games from their site and your device will download them, which would have been like when the ps3 came out many years ago, the big difference is nintendo eshop will not let you buy them.

honestly if you asked me i would have expected this type of device from sony, also i believe sony would have made it 100s of times better. please sony make a new vita.

In my opinion the Nintendo switch is a amazing console for what it is. But it does have its draw backs for instance its third party support is weak and I feel like Nintendo has been terrible at first party support as well. Most people I talk to tell me the switch has plenty first party games which is true if you never owned a wii u before. It feels like most of the system sellers switch has to offer can be found else where for cheaper. But you can't find another console that you can play doom 2016 on the go with. 

Many of your complaints about the Switch seem somewhat pointless to me. It's a game system. A game system I play Nintendo games on. I wanna listen to music, I use one of my PCs or my phone. I wanna watch a streaming service, I'll use one of the myriad of devices I have that is capable. It's not like if I take my Switch with me somewhere, I don't take my phone. It's always with me so I'm just gonna use it.

And that's the way most people are. Nintendo knows this. Why put development resources into features barely anyone would use? I doubt anyone's purchasing decision is going to made based on whether the Switch can play MP3s or not. Most people also already have access to streaming and whatnot on other devices. Those services also don't see the point in developing for it. Its purpose for the vast majority of users is to just play games, which it does pretty well.

The accounts thing, you do kinda have a point but I rarely login to any of it aside from logging in on the Switch (which is automatic) so it doesn't really bother me.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:43 AM, rabbitanarchy14 said:

ALL of the current consoles.

Playstation 4, when I purchased it back in 2014 DID NOT have any way of playing music. That was in a later update. Playstation 4 is unable to read Music CDs.

they put a headphone jack...

For privacy, maybe someone is being polite doesn't want to hear Mario jumping on toad every so often or Link and his weird jumping sounds in the middle of the night. I've had the question of if they support 5.1 SURROUND SOUND! for supported headphones/headsets.

You have to have 3 logins ,forum for support, a nintendo ID, and a switch account, this is redundant and asinine.

The whole console was designed for internet connectivity. If you're like me, in an internet desert, in the state that I will not mention (F***ING ARKANSAS), that is so proud of their (The Government) 1GB INTERNET SPEED AT THE CAPITAL WHILE EVERYONE IS F***ING USING 512 PETABYTE PER-SECOND ELSEWHERE IN THE WORLD AND I'M STUCK IN RURAL AREAS (Can't Move) WHERE ISPs ARE AFRAID OF TREES AND VERIZON BARELY MANAGES 64kbps ~ SLOWER THAT F***ING DIAL-UP F***ING INTERNET! Imagine trying to use anything like that and you'd understand my hell of these always connected devices. Stadia would be a NIGHTMARE!

please sony make a new vita.

You mean portable console they abandoned the moment they released it? Proprietary memory cards with overly marked up prices to prevent... piracy... from their last portable console? Uncharted: Golden Abyss ~ BAD! Assassin's Creed: Liberation (Exclusive) ~ BAD Unpolished garbage! Need For Speed: Most Wanted ~ which came out at the same time of the XBOX 360/PS3 version, was going to have the same map size and lived up to the promise, but was a BAD game! KillZone: Mercenaries ~ Fantastic - THE ONLY GOOD GAME? WTF! Final Fantasy X/X-II BAD due to the audio compression (O_O) my ears!

11392649923_0568bc1f75_b.jpg

10926304606_222c922acc_b.jpg

11392659866_86ba7b9896_b.jpg

On 12/9/2019 at 5:43 PM, rabbitanarchy14 said:

there is no mp3 player
it does not have netflix or plex

Who cares, you have a phone don't you? It makes a far better mp3 player. Same deal with Netflix. If you care about either of these things in any way you have devices that perform these functions already

Complaining that the Switch doesn't have these things is like writing a review on a toaster:

"1 star, on my sandwich press I can also scramble eggs on the hotplate"

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

my phone is not enjoyable to watch movies on which means i have to carry a second device. if i am playing games and want to watch a movie or listen to music i have to grab a different device. also connecting it to a hdd when docked to a tv is perfect for watching videos. having to change sources and have to have a different device connected to the tv just so i can switch to a movie is redundant if the switch played movies and music. no i have audiophile equipment i can listen to hifi music on but if i leave the house i should not need to carry 3 devices just so i can do everything. second why kill my phone battery trying to listen to music when i need to txt and call people, not to mention the stupid ringtone playing right in the center of a good riff.

and if all of this argument is too much for you guys and its just a gaming console and should only do gaming then your stupid phone you live on shouldnt do music or movies either its just a phone and should only do phone things. 

i come from a computer background. if they hardware you have is capable then you can make it do what you want. i am tired of companies complacency of well we let you do a few things but the hardware is capable of so much more we are just to lazy and dont feel enough ppl will use the extra features. 

1 hour ago, rabbitanarchy14 said:

my phone is not enjoyable to watch movies on which means i have to carry a second device. if i am playing games and want to watch a movie or listen to music i have to grab a different device. also connecting it to a hdd when docked to a tv is perfect for watching videos. having to change sources and have to have a different device connected to the tv just so i can switch to a movie is redundant if the switch played movies and music. no i have audiophile equipment i can listen to hifi music on but if i leave the house i should not need to carry 3 devices just so i can do everything. second why kill my phone battery trying to listen to music when i need to txt and call people, not to mention the stupid ringtone playing right in the center of a good riff.

and if all of this argument is too much for you guys and its just a gaming console and should only do gaming then your stupid phone you live on shouldnt do music or movies either its just a phone and should only do phone things. 

i come from a computer background. if they hardware you have is capable then you can make it do what you want. i am tired of companies complacency of well we let you do a few things but the hardware is capable of so much more we are just to lazy and dont feel enough ppl will use the extra features. 

Actually, the Switch would give me a worse Netflix experience than my phone.  I have the iPhone Xs Max.  It has a bigger screen than the Switch, the actual full Switch.  For my TV, I have a 4K Smart TV, why would I want to stream video through my Switch, which can only output max 1080p?

I also have the Apple Music family plan and unlimited data, along with Apple Car Play, which I mainly listen to music in my car, why would I want my Switch to play my music, that I have to download on it.

The modern smartphone is advertised as a do it all device.  The Switch never was.  The Switch was only ever advertised as one thing, a video game console.

The battery life argument is also kinda weak.  You don't want to supposedly kill battery life on your phone (which how bad is the battery life on your phone that listening to some music kills it?) but you're completely okay with killing the battery life on your video game console, then you can't play games on it..

We pretty much all come from a computer background here, you realize what forums you're on?

so i bought a switch on black friday thinking it was a more powerful newer 3ds xl for me, wow wrong in everyway.  first off there is no mp3 player but yet 3ds had one and vita had one not to mention ALL of the current consoles have this ability built in. It is easy and should be included in the os. the same applies to a music app, like omg they put a headphone jack in and left out the 2 big reasons to need in on a portable device = Media consumption. then you find out it does not have netflix or plex which also the 3ds had and all the other real consoles out there do. there store page looks horrible and has way to many layers and not enough sorting.  You have to have 3 logins ,forum for support, a nintendo ID, and a switch account, this is redundant and asinine. as a gaming device only it is powerful and impressed me. as a gaming console released in 2018 it is seriously lacking feature that the company has put into their devises before but now are incapable. they do tell you that you can purchase games from their site and your device will download them, which would have been like when the ps3 came out many years ago, the big difference is nintendo eshop will not let you buy them.

honestly if you asked me i would have expected this type of device from sony, also i believe sony would have made it 100s of times better. please sony make a new vita.

The New 3DS, New 3DS XL, and New 2DS XL don't come close to matching the Switch in terms of power.  The headphone jack is simply so if you decide to play handheld, you aren't bugging anyone around you while Mario screams, "LET'SA GO!"  

The Switch was never advertised as a do it all device, just a game console.  Quite frankly, considering the slow start the 3DS had, and the abysmal run the Wii U had, it was smart for Nintendo to go this route.  "Here is a hybrid console, it just plays video games.  Have fun."

Cool, I bought a hybrid console that just plays video games, as advertised. 

Also you really don't need 3 logins.  Hell, a lot of people don't use them.

You need your Nintendo Account, which you could consider your Switch account.  That's it.  That's all you need.  Login to your Twitter separately if you want to upload pics and video clips, some people do that.  The Nintendo ID that they used to use on the Wii U and 3DS is just to port over your friends list from those consoles.  Which most people didn't own a Wii U so it's not that huge of a deal.  Nintendo is moving away from the same account the Wii U and 3DS used just cause of the Wii U.  They're trying to erase the Wii U from their history in a sense.  So that's why they came out with Nintendo Accounts. 

Also, what do you mean Nintendo eShop won't let you buy games?  I've bought many games off the eShop.  You can add a credit card or use Paypal, like Microsoft and Sony allow you to do. You can buy and download games directly from your Switch on the eShop.

Also, I like the Vita, I own one, but why would you want a new one?  Sony overcharging for their hardware?  Sony making proprietary memory cards that are overpriced, instead of SD/Micro SD that everything else uses like Nintendo has used since the Wii came out in 2006?  So Sony can abandon it again after a year of release?  So we can get half baked "AAA Lite" instead of full AAA games we get on the Switch now?  The Vita has some good hidden gems, but Sony really missed the mark on it, especially since they abandoned it so fast.  (at least here in the west)

On 12/9/2019 at 3:55 AM, OutLox said:

The third party support and first party support have actually been really strong on the Switch.  Especially compared to the Wii U.

We'd never have gotten full Doom, Wolfenstein 2, Wolfenstein Youngblood (granted Youngblood is kinda crap), Witcher 3, any sports game (let alone NBA2K or FIFA), Doom Eternal, on the Wii U.  The fact that we're getting these (some of them later than other consoles granted) is huge considering Nintendo's home console before it.

Same with first party support.  The two AAA Nintendo first party IPs first year of the Wii U, for example, were New Super Mario Bros U, and Pikmin 3. 

By comparison, first year of the Switch we got Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Arms (even though that became more niche), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just to name some big ones (I didn't mention BotW since it came out on both the Wii U and Switch same day).  That's already double the Wii U.  Yes there's some Wii U ports, which I don't actually have an issue with, even though I owned a Wii U.  Not many people really bought a Wii U, it sold less than the Vita did, for example.  But there were some decent games.  I'm not against them being ported over.  (I just don't think they should be a full $60, I think the Wii U ports should be $40).

2018 could be considered a weak year, sure, but some AAA games came out then too, two biggest being Mario Tennis Aces and Super Smash Bros, and 2019 have been jam packed with Nintendo first party titles.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.